What's In Your Pack?

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

What's In Your Pack?

Post by OLLIE » Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm

I love hiking and I wish I had time to do more of it. One of the things you learn early on in hiking is that your pack can never be light enough. There are deveral types of backpacks with different uses. There are expedition packs, overnight packs, day-packs, bug-out-bags, hydration packs, etc. Let's share how we pack our various packs and the essentials we've found that we need. We're always looking for ways to lighten the load. Here's my gear...

MULTI-DAY HIKE:
This is what I use for my multi-day backpacking pack. I researched for months before choosing my pack. I rented various packs and tried out some friends backs and ended up getting this one. I am very pleased with my choice. When adjusted correctly, I don’t even feel the need to remove it during my breaks when I’m hiking. The weight is distributed right at my waist and my shoulders just keep it stable.

TFX APPALACHIAN 75:95 XL - Men (LR1237)
Raincover, 2 compartments with zip out divider, stretch water bottle pockets, hydration compatible, SOS panel, key clip, mitt friendly zip pulls, unique walking pole tip grabbers for secure storage, Noggin Notch TM for head clearance, pole and ice axes are clear of lower compartment allowing access, secure internal lid zipper pocket, removable GPS harness pocket, sleeping bag compartment, internal U-Frame, and 4 compression straps.
-Volume: 95 L / 5700 + 900 cu in

-Load Zone: 55 - 66 lbs / 24.9 - 29.9 kg

-Weight Capacity: 5 lbs 12 oz / 2 kg 609 g

-Torso: 18 - 24 inches / 46 - 61 cm

-Pack Panel: TFX 8XL Adjustable 18 - 24"

-Access: Top / Bottom

-Storage Grouping: 2 Compartments / 4 Pockets

CONTENTS (14 Essentials + 2)):
1. Map & GPS
-I take a TOPO map of the area I’m going to be in that has my planned track and waypoints identified on it.

-I take my Garmin GPSMap 60Cx with my planned tracks and important waypoints preloaded into it. Lithium batteries allow me to run this GPS for 40 hours straight.

2. Compass
-Incase my GPS dies on me.

3. Flashlight / Headlamp
-Lenser LED Flashlight with red and white light capability.

-Petzl Tikka Headlamp with red lamp and red and white flashing strobes.

4. Extra Food
-Know the area you’re going to. Some areas require a bear canister. So along with the food, I may carry a bear canister. All trash and food must be kept in the canister. I carry enough food for the number of days on the trail plus a little extra in case of emergency.

5. Extra Clothes
-A change of skivvies for each day on the trail, Shirts and pants determined by the area I’m going to, Wind Breaker / Rain Coat, Stocking Cap and Gloves, and Flip-Flops (To relax in camp.)

6. Sunglasses

7. First-Aid Kit
-I carry plenty of adhesive Band-Aids and first aid supplies. I also ensure I have any medication I might need as well. (Tylenol, Motrin, Diamox, etc.)

8. Pocket Knife & Tools
-A good knife is invaluable. I carry a good knife as well as my S.O.G. multi-tool. Depending on the terrain, I my carry my S.O.G. machete too.

9. Cordage
-Twenty feet of 550 Parachute Cord for various uses.

10. Fire Starter
-In addition to the matches I carry a magnesium fire starter bar. I carry waterproof matches in an empty film canister.

11. Water / Filter / Bottles
-I carry as much water as I can. I have 2ea 102 oz hydration bladders and two Nalgene bottles that I carry. When I start out, they are all full of water. In addition, I carry a MSR Hyper-Flow water filtration pump to refill my bladders and bottles when I need to.

-It is easy to forget to drink on the trail but I force myself to drink at least every ten minutes. I will set a timer on my watch to go off every ten minutes to remind me.

-I also carry an MSR Hyperflow Water Filtration System / Pump with me everywhere. It's in my pack on all hikes and it's now in my FJ in my Bug Out Bag when "Froading".

12. Whistle
-A whistle has several purposes, locating others in your party, distress calls, ward off animals, etc.

13. Insect Repellents or Clothing
-Insects are a pain. I carry long sleeved clothing, a head net, and DEET-based (minimum 75% content, I prefer 100%) insect repellent.

14. Sunburn Preventatives-Sunscreen so you don’t roast. The higher the altitude the more intense the sun.

ADDITIONAL CONTENTS:
-SPOT Personal Tracker and Emergency Beacon

-Yasu VX-8R HT Radio

-Duct Tape

-Three 33 gallon trash bags (for emergency pack cover, ground sheet, clothing storage, etc.

-Six 1 Gallon Ziploc bags

-Tent

-Sleeping Bag, Pancho, and Pancho-Liner

-JetBoil with enough fuel for the trip.

-Nearly everything above I carry in Ziploc bags for a few reasons. The bags keep everything dry, they keep them in neat bundles, and the bags themselves can be used for other things in an emergency.

-Canon G-11 Camera

-Spare lithium batteries for my electronics.
Attachments
TFX_Appal_75_95XL_B71_large.jpg
My Multi-Day Pack
TFX_Appal_75_95XL_B71_large.jpg (48.44 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: What's In Your Pack?

Post by DaveK » Fri May 20, 2011 4:25 pm

Does light beer count toward lightening the load.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Fri May 20, 2011 6:53 pm

DaveK wrote:Does light beer count toward lightening the load.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Sun May 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I have been using a Deuter ACT lite 65+10 pack with a water bladder, a Sierra Designs Light Year tent with footprint, a Big Agnes mummy pad and the North Face Snowshoe bag for when it is cold, a Dolomite for when it is not. I have a down sweater, a lightweight rain/wind jacket and a hat. Short trips, I eat PB&J!

But, as you know, I working on shedding weight, my own, and from the pack.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon May 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Here's my typical day pack.

-Extra socks
-Rain poncho/Jacket
-Map
-First aid kit
-Knife
-Whistle
-Duct tape
-Sun glasses in hard case
-Sun block/bug repellent
-Space bag (emergency overnight bivy)
-Pack towel
-Toilet paper
-Water
-Food (enough for day hike plus emergency rations for at least one good meal)

This would vary according to conditions and time of year.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 am

I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to get my gear list posted. I'll see if I can get to it in the next day or so. :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:13 pm

I finally added my multi-day setup to the first post.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

For my day pack I pack all the essentials from my multiday pack. I have recently started using the Camelbak Transformer. It's a great pack. It would be nice if it was lighter (dry weight) but then it would lose its durability.
gmi-packs-transformer-black-07-large-tiff.jpg
gmi-packs-transformer-black-07-large-tiff.jpg (87.5 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:20 am

OLLIE wrote: I have recently started using the Camelbak Transformer. It's a great pack. It would be nice if it was lighter (dry weight) but then it would lose its durability.
That's a great pack there, Ollie. I've considered getting that myself but don't know if I can part with my current pack. For carrying daypack loads, tactical loads, travel gear, and perhaps a very light overnight load the Kelty Redwing has been one of my best packs. (2000-3500 cubic inches, internal frame)

The Redwing is a long-enduring design that is constantly being updated by Kelty and remains popular for good reasons: convenient panel loading, many lashing options, strong zippers and fabric, comfortable suspension, hydration compatible, behind-pocket (flow-thru) item carry (for fishing poles, rifles, and knifes), subdued colors, mesh backpanel, pefect pocket designs, and outstanding durability. Although some may be lighter, few packs match all these features. For all-around, tough, brush busting use, its the Kelty Redwing that most often comes along on my adventures.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Return to “EQUIPMENT”