Creature comforts - coffee?

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Creature comforts - coffee?

Post by smslavin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:06 am

I know some of you are probably coffee addicts... er... I mean, connoisseurs. What's a good setup to get so that my lovely wife can make herself a decent cup in the morning when we're camping?
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

FishPOET
Call Sign: KI6YXR

Re: Creature comforts - coffee?

Post by FishPOET » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:08 am

For us a coffee press is the easiest and makes the best cup of coffee. Tracy refuses to drink instant coffee :D
Doug N1DUG
2004 WJ
1996 ZJ locked on 33's, Claytons LAs
1999 Ford F250 V10 4x4 19.5s, 1988 Lance ES3000
Life Member CA4WD, CORVA, BRC
over 2000 hours volunteered with the SBNFA
CASSP
TreadLightly! Trainer
ForestAid Reforestation Supervisor

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:03 am

Purchase a JetBoil. There are numerous uses for it, it is quick, compact, and it's as simple as boiling the water and finding which of the many types of coffee that are available to use that your wife might like.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am

We are coffee freaks and the simplest, best tasting set up I have ever found is the Melitta Single Serve. You can blend coffees, make the cup exactly the strength you or your wife like and just throw away a paper filter with the used grounds.
Melitta Single Serve.jpg
Melitta Single Serve.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

IMHO presses make great coffee and are kinda classy, used them for many years on our boat but the majority are glass so you must pack them carefully and the clean up requires a bit of water.

If you love espresso then I highly recommend the Italian stove tops. You can find single service on up.
Espresso Maker.jpg
Espresso Maker.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
Image_Image_Image

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Post by smslavin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:05 am

gon2srf wrote:If you love espresso then I highly recommend the Italian stove tops. You can find single service on up.
While I am the beer snob, my wife is the coffee snob. That looks perfect. Thanks.
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 am

OLLIE wrote:Purchase a JetBoil. There are numerous uses for it, it is quick, compact, and it's as simple as boiling the water and finding which of the many types of coffee that are available to use that your wife might like.

The jet boil is just for boiling the water, is that correct? Or do they have a coffee maker too?
Image_Image_Image

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:50 pm

I use a coffee percolator, works great, nothing to throw away besides the grinds :D less trash
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:32 pm

gon2srf wrote:
OLLIE wrote:Purchase a JetBoil. There are numerous uses for it, it is quick, compact, and it's as simple as boiling the water and finding which of the many types of coffee that are available to use that your wife might like.

The jet boil is just for boiling the water, is that correct? Or do they have a coffee maker too?
They make a press adapter for it. It's lightweight and conveniant. SP Jon M3 always has his and makes coffee for everyone at camp in the morning. If you are a backpacker it is da bomb!!! :D The JetBoil is a very convenient system. Compact, lightweight, and it boils water in under 2 minutes at altitude.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:15 pm

If your wife prefers Cappuccino or Latte' this is the ticket -

Put milk in the top and coffee and water in the bottom like a conventional stove top espresso maker and it will steam the milk as it makes the coffee. It is a bit harder to clean while camping because of the milk residue but it makes great cappuccino.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:24 pm

salad_man wrote:I use a coffee percolator, works great, nothing to throw away besides the grinds :D less trash

Meh! I call BS on percolators, the coffee always taste burnt unless your on it like a hawk. Me thinks you like the coffee from Denny's too! :mrgreen:

Nice meeting you up on Holcomb! :D
Image_Image_Image

Return to “EQUIPMENT”