Trekking Poles

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
gon2srf

Trekking Poles

Post by gon2srf » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Trekking Poles

Do you use them?

Opinions please?
Image_Image_Image

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: Trekking Poles

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:12 pm

I just recently started using trekking poles. If used correctly they can take up nearly 30% of the stress off your lower body allowing greater distances before wearing out. There is a method to the madness though and it takes practice. I highly recommend at least using a walking stick or single pole for various reasons. They help with support on descents and stability at any time especially on ridges or shelf trails. walking stick or pole has proven helpful to me for probing and stability while in snow or on icy slopes. being able to stick them in the ground then wedging your foot next to it to prevent side slippage was the only way I made it up Tahquitz Peak the first time when we ran into an ice /snow packed peak. A staff or pole is also good for holding branches or brush back to allow people to pass or for you to get by with out getting hung up.

If you do a search on the proper use of trekking poles you'll find out just how valuable they are and the same goes for walking sticks or staffs. If you plan on getting into this (hiking or backpackng) more regularly then I believe you'll find them invaluable. Which type or kind you want is another story all together. There's solid poles, shock absorbing poles, etc. It's nearly as controversial as suspensions for your rig. Bottom line is what works for you. I prefer ridged locking poles. I have used shock absorbing poles but didn't like them. They make poles that have both the shock absorbing feature and the ridge locking feature based on which way you turn the locking mechanism. There are different grip types, shapes, etc. Again, which one to use is based on your comforts and feels.

I recommend going into REI or an Adventure 16 and talking to them and trying some different ones out. Walk around the store with them and find your comfort zone. Hope this helps and didn't confuse you more. I'm not an expert by any means but have tried many different shapes and functions. I have always been a walking stick person in the past but now I'm trying to get into the the trekking poles because I've witnessed how they can help when used effectively.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:53 am

Nice Ollie, thanks again for spending your valuable time with this detailed explanation. I have an old school walking stick ans will probably bring it along before I invest in trekking poles, some of which get pretty pricy. Maybe I can try yours for a moment on the trail?
Image_Image_Image

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:58 am

gon2srf wrote:Nice Ollie, thanks again for spending your valuable time with this detailed explanation. I have an old school walking stick ans will probably bring it along before I invest in trekking poles, some of which get pretty pricy. Maybe I can try yours for a moment on the trail?
You are welcome to try them as much as you'd like.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

ssc

Post by ssc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 pm

You can borrow my walking stick. It comes in two flavors, 5.56 and 30-06. :D

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

JohnGalt

Post by JohnGalt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 pm

I've used Leki Super Makalu's for about 20 years. I prefer, and suggest adjustable ones - you adjust them slightly shorter for uphill and slightly longer for downhill.

And the best thing about them may be another benefit not usually mentioned - you won't have "sausage fingers" when you hike. Because you are using your arms and hands, the blood doesn't pool there and cause the fat fingers :mrgreen:

Once you've used them and realize how much they reduce fatigue and increase stability you may never look back.....
"Do Not Let The Hero In Your Soul Perish...."

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:15 pm

JohnGalt wrote:And the best thing about them may be another benefit not usually mentioned - you won't have "sausage fingers" when you hike. Because you are using your arms and hands, the blood doesn't pool there and cause the fat fingers :mrgreen:

So that's why they get fat. I didn't know that. Interesting.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:36 pm

I use a set of Leki poles (I do not remember the model and they are in the truck, having just been used over the weekend in the Inyos. They are useful for balance, like having four legs and you can sort of make a tripod on difficult terrain, where you always have three of the four legs on the ground. They help a lot going down hill, you kind of do a spider walk kind of thing (but with half as many legs). The poles help take some of the downhill stress off your legs and feet, keeping your toes from the front of the boot’s toe-box a bit. Uphill they let you pull a bit, so your arms do some of the work.

You adjust them as stated by a previous poster, longer for down, shorter for up. Many have numbers on the shafts to you and remember the adjustments you like and do the adjustments a snap!

There are times they are a pain, like when going up steep rocks where you really need to climb. You can fold them up and put them on your pack or if you are coming down right away, just drop them and come get them on the way down.

They are much better than a walking stick, which I used for years prior to the poles. A stick gives one arm something to do, helping one leg, one side. They do help, but not as much as poles, which help both sides, give you the “tripod” at all time when you need it and more you look uber cool! Ha ha!

Poles are very easy to use, it is almost intuitive, there really is not much to it.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks Dennis, I found a set on Craigslist.
Image_Image_Image

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:20 am

gon2srf wrote:Thanks Dennis, I found a set on Craigslist.
Great. They will help. Just go on some nice short local hikes in OC to get used to them and find the adjustments that work for you, while enjoying some great OC outdoor fun!
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

Return to “EQUIPMENT”