- 1. 3 hours without shelter.
- 2. 3 days without water.
- 3. 3 weeks without food.
I did a lot of research prior to buying a water filtration system. I used a SteriPen setup for a long time. I never got sick but the water taste and the steps involved got a little tiresome. After looking at several reviews on several filtration systems, I ended up going with the MSR Hyperflow Water Filter System. It’s a quick and easy method for water filtration. The water tastes great and is crystal clear every time. It weighs in at under 8 ounces, it’s compact and comes with all the necessary connections for Nalgene bottle, water bottles, and your hydration bladders.
One thing to keep in mind when filling bladders is that you want to avoid systems that require you to remove the bladder from the pack to fill it with water. Ideally you want to be able to fill it through the drinking tube. Once you remove a bladder from a pack, putting it back in when full of water usually requires for you to unpack your pack, put the bladder in, and then repack your pack. This is a pain and tiresome. Hooking a system right to the drinking tube is SOOOOO much easier. When doing our Jacinto Hike last year and our Langley Hike, everyone stopped using their filters and we all just used mine. Now two of my buddies have bought them and swear by them. With proper maintenance and being sure they don't freeze they are wonderful.
See image of filtration system below. The clear Nalgene bottle in th eimage is for reference. It is not part of the kit.
http://www.rei.com/product/767564/msr-h ... der-767564
• Backpacker April '08: ''The HyperFlow is so fast and light it converted several editors who had sworn off filters in favor of chemical treatment.''
• Hollow fiber technology offers an extremely high flow rate of 2.75 liters per minute
• At just 7.8 oz., the HyperFlow is the lightest, most compact pump filter created by MSR
• Filter physically removes particles, protozoa, and bacteria down to 0.2 microns in size, including giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia and others
• Pump is fully field maintainable and does not require tools for complete disassembly
• Included Quick-Connect™ bottle cap interfaces with MSR hydration products, Nalgene bottles and other containers with 63mm threaded openings
• Quick-Connect™ cap allows the pump to attach directly to the bottle or hydration bladder for the most convenient filling
• Included prefilter attaches to the end of the intake hose and blocks larger contaminants from entering the microfilter
• Prefilter floats near the surface of the water to avoid intake of contaminants located at the floor of your water source
• Over-molded end caps on the pump provide an excellent grip and pumping comfort
• Adapt the HyperFlow pump into a pump-free gravity filter with the HyperFlow Gravity kit, sold separately
MSR has identified and fixed a flow rate issue affecting some cartridges in MSR HyperFlow microfilters. As of February 11, 2009, all filter cartridges sold by REI perform to flow specifications.