Water Filtration

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
gon2srf

Re: Water Filtration

Post by gon2srf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks for they reply Ollie. I bought it as an on the fly quick fix since water treatment is my other option and takes time to properly treat. (and using your filter) ;) It seems like water treatment is akin to working with raw chicken, maybe that's a bad analogy but it reminds of it. :roll:

I did read more about AquaMira chemical treament which uses Chloride Dioxide instead of Chlorine and Iodine. It's supposed to taste a heck of a lot better than the latter. You'll have to give it a try. :lol:

Chlorine dioxide is iodine and chlorine free. The unique formula works by releasing nascent oxygen, a highly active form of oxygen, which is a strong oxidant and a powerful germicidal agent. Chlorine dioxide has been used by municipal water treatment plants to kill a variety of waterborne pathogens since the late 1940s. Unlike free chlorine (familiar as household bleach) or other halogen chemicals (such as iodine), chlorine dioxide does not create potentially harmful by-products.

OLLIE wrote:Looks good to me Scott. It's basicly saying what Shuly mentioned. It won't kill or filter away some viruses. You need chemical or UV light for that.

My biggest concern with using that type of filter is the following...

You seem to have to put the contaminated water into your water bottle. Then your sucking on the straw to take a drink pulls the water through the filter. You want to make sure that after filling your bottle with the contaminated water you ensure none of that water is on the straw, or outside of that bottle. Contraction of these water bourne pathogens is done much like HIV (open wounds, mouth, etc.). There are notes out there that suggest that they can be absorbed through your eyes as well. When we filter our water we need to make sure our hands are clean when we are done. After having our hands in the water we can still get the water into our system by touching our mouths, rubbing our eyes, etc. That being said, just by dipping a hat or rag into the water and placing it on our heads we run a risk of exposure since that water can now run down our face and into our mouths or eyes. If you have Giardia (or any of the other pathogens) you can give it to your loved ones by kissing them on the mouth. On e of the more common ways peole contract these pathogens is through our pets. Animals drink almost any water they come across if they're thirsty. They can get these illnesses as easy as we can. A lot of people let their animals lick them or kiss them. Then they get the pathogen from their animals.

I am talking extremes here I know. I'm just laying it out there and one has to decide what risks they are going to take. I filter the water but I don't treat the water (haven't been in a place I felt it necessary). On the Tahquitz hike I dipped my dew rag in the flowing water and put it around my neck to cool off. I then started wiping sweat out of my eyes when my hands had been in that water. I decided to take that risk. Just some things to think about... ;)
Image_Image_Image

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I read about their treatment too. Sounds pretty good to me. Wasn't fond of the price when I can spend a lot less on the bleach though. :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Triggerhpy
Call Sign: KK6CGN

Post by Triggerhpy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:07 pm

I use one of these a Sawyer Squeeze. Good for a million gallons.
Attachments
Sawyer-SP131L-Filter.jpg
Sawyer-SP131L-Filter.jpg (33.19 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

Return to “EQUIPMENT”