bridging ditches with portable ramps

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
wb6twl
Call Sign: WB6TWL

bridging ditches with portable ramps

Post by wb6twl » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Sometime in the recent past I remember seeing an ad for aluminum or steel ramps that were portable (and would fit in the bed of a truck) and could be used for bridging gaps up to 4 feet to allow a 4WD vehicle (small to med) to cross small deep ditches.

I've seen the Element Ramps but I'm not sure if they can be used to bridge a ditch.

Any ideas??
Steve
WB6TWL
WQXY603

My 4x4 Ford Ranger is NOT a Jeep and it doesn't pretend to be one....It doesn't need to!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: bridging ditches with portable ramps

Post by DaveK » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Steve:

If you have been a subscriber to Overland Journal, they did a write-up in the Winter 2009 issue on sand ladders. Part of the testing involved "bridging and ramping". If you do not have access, let me know and I will post the article.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:07 pm

if you could post it, that would be great. I would like to get a set, but need something strong, my truck is a bit on the heavy side
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

wb6twl

Post by wb6twl » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks, Dave, please post it.

Steve
Steve
WB6TWL
WQXY603

My 4x4 Ford Ranger is NOT a Jeep and it doesn't pretend to be one....It doesn't need to!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Steve:

Sorry about the delay, but I will post something this weekend.
DaveK
K6DTK

wb6twl

Post by wb6twl » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks Dave. I appreciate it.

Steve
Steve
WB6TWL
WQXY603

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Gentlemen:

Very sorry for the delay in responding.

The article I mentioned appeared in the Winter 2009 issue of Overland Journal and was entitled "Sand Ladders: Functional Tool or Fashion Accessory". The author was Scott Brady and the title should give a clue concerning the focus of the article.

As unaccustomed as I am to engaging in contentious discussions, I thought it would be helpful to provide you with part of Scott's conclusion. He said:
Other than my trip through the western Sahara, I have never carried sand ladders, and despite the results of this test, I have no intention of doing so in the future. I think the vehicle selected should have reserve capability for the terrain anticipated, the driver must have experience/
training in that terrain type, and he must select the proper tire size/construction, and appropriate pressure. With the right vehicle, the need for sand ladders rarely, if ever arises, and they can be replaced by much more functional tools I already carry on the vehicle: a shovel, winch, and Pull-Pal. For the sand tests featured here, we used a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with 35-inch tires. At 12 PSI, the vehicle not only (easily) climbed all the hills used in
the testing, but also was able to ascend 100-foot tall dunes, chasing 400-horsepower dune buggies through the Imperial Sand Dunes.
The ladders tested were:

1. Mantec Bridging
2. SandMats
3. Track Pad
4. Mantec Sand
5. Max-Trax
6. Pillow Track

OJ's test results:

For the Editor's Choice, I selected the Mantec Sand Tracks, primarily because they do everything well, including a second-place finish in the sand climbs and a surprisingly effective result in the bridging test. The units are also in the middle of the pack on weight, yet have the greatest surface area and can be easily mounted to the flooring of a roof rack. The Mantec Bridging Ladder was clearly the best overall performer, but not by a wide margin, and comes at considerable expense in both cost and weight/bulk. The MaxTrax got the nod for the Value Award. It performed exactly as advertised, and is relatively compact and easy to handle. It performed toward the top of the pack in each test, and yielded good results in bridging and ramping. At $290 a pair, it is a real value. We also considered the TrackPad, but have concerns with long-term durability. Even just a few controlled sand tests resulted in broken edges and splintering. It's a great value at $96 for the pair, and has proven a popular choice in recent years.
Are sand ladders a fashion accessory or a functional tool? You decide.

Note: If we get permission to post the full article, I will do so.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “EQUIPMENT”