A GOOD ICE CHEST ?

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
pokerdawg

Re: A GOOD ICE CHEST ?

Post by pokerdawg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:24 pm

Where is the best place to buy the Extreme? I'm using a 20 year old ice chest :oops:

raYGunn

Post by raYGunn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:29 pm

They have them at REI.
97 LX450

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:22 pm

unwiredadventures wrote:I have a Coleman Extreme and I like it.

However, in October I'm going on a 8 day trip. I need to keep food for 1 person cold.

Can the Coleman Extreme do this for 8 days?

What is the best setup for ice to keep it cool? A large block of ice?

Of should I get an Engle?
8 Days, eh??? May or may not be a bit much for an ice chest like the extreme. Remember that Coleman also makes an ultimate extreme. So much depends on the outside temps and how much you open the unit. You can add a couple of days to your ice with a few pieces of dry ice. Be careful, though, as it will freeze stuff it comes in contact with and near.

I have had ice (in 25 lb). blocks last over a week in an extreme and well over that in the IRP coolers. I suppose if you are expecting some warm days, a 12 v fridge freezer might be in order. FYI, there are several brands, other than the Engle, on the market. If you are going to plunk down $700+ on one of these units, you owe it to your self to ask around about the units. This list is incomplete, but its a start. The following people have 12 v units, Larry, Toms, Aaron, Tim and DaveK. I think that many of the available units are represented here and there is enough info out there for you to fill in the blanks. Call if you need more!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:19 pm

They can take my ARB Freezer Fridge when they pry it from my cold (very cold, thanks to the ARB) dead hands... :mrgreen:

Seriously, of all the accessories I've accumulated, the Freezer-Fridge would be the last one I'd give up. I've had mine in 3 vehicles, on virtually 24/7 for 13+ years, and not a hiccup... :o :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:22 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:They can take my ARB Freezer Fridge when they pry it from my cold (very cold, thanks to the ARB) dead hands... :mrgreen:

Seriously, of all the accessories I've accumulated, the Freezer-Fridge would be the last one I'd give up. I've had mine in 3 vehicles, on virtually 24/7 for 13+ years, and not a hiccup... :o :D
I keep waiting for a "better" fridge to come out, hoping you'll upgrade, so I can buy yours cheap! :mrgreen:
Image_Image_Image

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Frank, if you have room for 2 cooler you might be able to make it 8 days on ice with no refill. It takes some planning.

0 - Use the best coolers you can get - ones that advertise 4 days at 100 degrees.
1 - chill both coolers the day before before you pack them
2. - split your stuff up into 2 units of 4 days each
3. - Freeze everything that can be frozen before it goes in (everything)
4. - Use as much block ice as you can in each one and fill in all the spaces with cubes
5. - Put a strap around the cooler for the second half and don't open it until day 5.
6. - Pack then as best out of direct sun , etc.
7. - transfer any remaining ice from the first to the second one.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:30 pm

toms wrote:Frank, if you have room for 2 cooler you might be able to make it 8 days on ice with no refill. It takes some planning.

0 - Use the best coolers you can get - ones that advertise 4 days at 100 degrees.
1 - chill both coolers the day before before you pack them
2. - split your stuff up into 2 units of 4 days each
3. - Freeze everything that can be frozen before it goes in (everything)
4. - Use as much block ice as you can in each one and fill in all the spaces with cubes
5. - Put a strap around the cooler for the second half and don't open it until day 5.
6. - Pack then as best out of direct sun , etc.
7. - transfer any remaining ice from the first to the second one.

Great advice Tom. I have used both my Coleman Ultimate Extremes on many 9 day sailing trips and had ice to spare on the trip home much because of the advice you suggest here. Freezing items, using block ice (less surface contact to warm air) and organization is crucial. My kids will forever remember the "hurry up, close the ice chest" command from Dad. :oops: On the boat, the chests were always out of the sun which helped a lot.
Image_Image_Image

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:07 am

gon2srf wrote:I keep waiting for a "better" fridge to come out, hoping you'll upgrade, so I can buy yours cheap! :mrgreen:
Contents not included.... :o :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:57 pm

The cheapest ice is the ice you make yourself. I fill gallon milk jugs to about 2" from the top (to allow for expansion) and place in a deep freezer at least one week before use. We just keep them stored in the bottom, ready for use anytime. Empty the storage from your automatic ice maker into a plastic bag and put in the freezer, one week before. This allows the system to refill the storage. Put 2 gallon jugs on the bottom of your cooler, load with food, and fill in with cubes. This makes the cubes last much longer. Refill the cooler as needed with bag ice from the store, during the trip. As others said, freeze food that won't be used till the latter half of the trip.

Disregard if you have an Engel, as I now do. :D :D :D

If you can swing the cost of the Engel or similar, do it. You won't regret it. My 14yo son and I did a one week trip to southern Utah in early June and had enough food and drinks that we didn't have to buy food at all during the trip. We also bought NO ice, and had NO soggy food. Also, there was no "lost" space in the Engel due to volume consumed by ice gallons and cubes. It would hold plenty of food for one person for 8 days.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

Return to “EQUIPMENT”