At what angle do you keep your pocket knife?

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

At what angle do you keep your pocket knife?

Post by KK6GFF » Sun May 04, 2014 8:20 pm

This week I purchased a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77) for $54.20 at amazon.

I did some research and compared it to the Lansky, they both have different technologies but seems like both do a decent job. What made me go for this one is that this one can do serrated knives. Everyone agrees that the Edge Pro is the way to go, but that one will have to wait for a bit.

I sharpened all the knives in the house at 30 degrees, and I tried to figure out at what angle came my Benchmade 746. I couldn't find the info anywhere. Do you guys have any preference, 30 or 40 degrees for a pocketknife? Looks like 30 should be better, but since it's a utility knife that you always have in your pocket maybe it's a better idea to have it at 40 so it lasts longer without having to sharpen it...

Roger
Roger WZ6B
2014 JKUR

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: At what angle do you keep your pocket knife?

Post by DaveK » Wed May 07, 2014 9:35 am

Roger

We have done a couple of nets on knives that included information on sharpening, and we are currently scheduled to do another in October. One of the areas that we touched on was the angle of sharpening that is optimum for different knives and applications. Any information you can offer, on any aspect of "edged implements), will be greatly appreciated. We are also always on the look-out for guest speakers (hint!)

Tom is the one who has more knowledge on the angles topic.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Wed May 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Roger,
I like to sharpen at the same angle that the manufacture put on the knife. To do that use a black sharpie pen to darken the edge. Then make a few light strokes and adjust stone angle until you until you match original angle. The black mark will be ground off evenly.

Most knives are double bevels and sometimes you see the angle quoted as twice the angle of one side. I guess that is what you mean by 30 degrees (= 15 degrees on each side).

15 degrees is good for a fillet knife
20 degrees is good for kitchen knife
22 degrees for a pocket knife
25 degrees for camp knife
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

Post by KK6GFF » Wed May 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks Tom, that's a great list to have. The Spyderco only gives you two options (15 & 20), I guess that's a drawback of that system. I'll keep all of them at 20 and the fillet knife at 15.

I believe you use the Lansky or similar? I don't know if it's true, some reviews say that it's hard to have a consistent angle every time you start. So once you get started it will keep the same angle, but it'll be hard to match the angle you had the last time you used it even if you're using the same slot.

Thanks Dave, looking forward to the net on knives in October. By then I might be able to give my thoughts on the Spyderco! :D

Have fun tomorrow in the net, I'll have to miss this one!
Roger WZ6B
2014 JKUR

Return to “EQUIPMENT”