Hot Water for Showers

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Hot Water for Showers

Post by unwiredadventures » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:25 pm

I have an extended trip in my Land Cruiser coming in a couple months. I'm looking for a hot water heater for showers. I'll also need this for a few extended campground trips where there are no showers. I need this mostly to entice my wife and kids into longer trips.

I'm specifically looking at anything other than a solar shower since it will be needed for multiple people.

I've looked a these:

Coleman

Zodi Outback

Portable Tankless Water Heater

Does any one have any experience with these?

Any other recommendations for hot water heaters?
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Hot Water for Showers

Post by DaveK » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:58 pm

I have used the Zodi Hot tap dual burner extensively. Compact and efficient. If you are going into areas where the water will be cold, the dual burner is necessary. If warmer weather (and water) is in your future, you can do with the single burner. Combine the Hot tap with an easy set up/takedown shelter (see http://www.evergreen-outdoors.net/outba ... _privy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)and it makes an incentive for other members of the family (wife & kids) to go camping.

If you are in remote areas you will either have to bring along enough h2o to serve all who will be using the shower or have another source such as a stream, lake or spring. In any case, there is no better way to make camp more comfortable than a shower, especially after a vigorous day of hiking, wood gathering, campfire smoke exposure, etc.

See http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consume ... hower.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KB6SRT

Post by KB6SRT » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:24 pm

unwiredadventures wrote:I have an extended trip in my Land Cruiser coming in a couple months. I'm looking for a hot water heater for showers. I'll also need this for a few extended campground trips where there are no showers. I need this mostly to entice my wife and kids into longer trips.

I'm specifically looking at anything other than a solar shower since it will be needed for multiple people.

I've looked a these:

Coleman

Zodi Outback

Portable Tankless Water Heater

Does any one have any experience with these?

Any other recommendations for hot water heaters?
I went on a trip with some friends who had the Zodi Hot Tap Shower and it was pretty cool. I only had to wait fo rthe propane to heat up for about 5 minutes as I was the first one in. If I remember right, the water saver shower head was operated by either 2 or 4 "D" cell batteries and they said that if they only used it twice a year, they were changing the batteries every year (in other words getting 2 uses out of them.)
But it was the closest thing I used to having a real shower at home. You don't heat it up hot anyhow. It comes out super warm to almost too hot so you regulate it so it's warm or very warm. There is no cold water knob. So it's pretty cool how they laid it out.

I liked it and I only took a 4 minute shower so everyone was able to get in. What they ended up doing was bring a 55 gallon drum and filling it and it lasted for several people for several days and they also used it for drinking water as well. But we were in one campsite and went on trails and then came back to camp.
So, there ya go. Hope that was helpful.
Mark Christian KB6SRT
Founder / Trustee. - FCARA
Fam-Comm Amateur Radio Assoc.
146.610 (-) pl 103.5- Sierra Peak -Echolink Node-44576
146.610 (-) pl 183.7- San Diego
445.760 (-) pl 103.5-IRLP Node-3952
http://www.k6fam.com / kb6srt@gmail.com

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:14 pm

I wouldn't rule out the solar showers. If you will be stationary for a couple hours, they work well. There are some larger ones that can accomodate several people. Last year on the Rubicon, we used a 5 gallon clear/black solar shower that was hot in about 2 hours of late afternoon sun. Three people showered and there was water left over. These aren't luxury showers, but they were the best showers ever. The advantage is compact storage, no fuel and no waste containers. I like the simple solution.

I used a Walmart (cheap) shower enclosure and now have a battery powered shower pump instead of gravity feed.

Another (not cheap) option is the Thermette. You can see it at http://www.thermette.com. It is a copper boiler that uses anything that will burn, as fuel. In a test, we boiled a half gallon of water in 7 minutes, using only a little newspaper and some twigs that were laying around. It generates a very hot fire on the inside with a built in chimney in direct contact with the water. It is an amazing device. We used it daily to boil water for dishwashing on a weeklong trip to southern Utah, and I considered using it for showers, but didn't. You can mix with cool water to get to shower temp. Some experimenting will yield the correct amount of water to add to get to shower temp.

It's also an excellent piece of gear for a disaster kit.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:29 pm

Frank,
Soemone sells a heat exchanger for the Landcruiser. I saw it recently surfing the web for Cruiser parts but do not remenber who. It splices into the heater hose. I think you leave the Cruiser running and pump ( there is a small 12v pump bolted under the hood too) fresh water thru the exhange tank and out to your shower. One advantge is it does not take up cargo space except maybe the input and output hose. I have a friend who says they work well. I don't know what the magnatude of impact is on your fuel.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

latinoguy

Post by latinoguy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:35 am

Another option is this...
97 FZJ80, "La Mula" DD, ARB, Tire Carrier, Sliders, OME 850J/863 springs, L shocks, 295/75/R16, Slee TC Skid Plate, Rear Storage, CB, LEDs, SS Brake Lines, Rear work lights, GPS, HIRs Highs&Lows "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 am

toms wrote:Frank,
Soemone sells a heat exchanger for the Landcruiser. I saw it recently surfing the web for Cruiser parts but do not remenber who. It splices into the heater hose. I think you leave the Cruiser running and pump ( there is a small 12v pump bolted under the hood too) fresh water thru the exhange tank and out to your shower. One advantge is it does not take up cargo space except maybe the input and output hose. I have a friend who says they work well. I don't know what the magnatude of impact is on your fuel.
One other consideration might be to those camping near you - the fumes from the exhaust while the engine's running. I'd think this option would work very well, but probably better when camping alone or a distance from other campers...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:46 pm

latinoguy wrote:Another option is this...
I wonder if they like DeWalt???? :?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:39 am

I've got the Coleman and love it. A little on the bulky side, but heats the water quickly. I use the hose accessory to drop directly into the 7 gallon jugs of water I carry.

Return to “EQUIPMENT”