Fire Extinguisher

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
ssc

Fire Extinguisher

Post by ssc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:33 pm

What fire extinguisher's are you keeping in your rig? Also, how and where do you mount them? Pictures would be helpful. I have one in the back seat, but am thinking of mounting one in the back.

Regards, SSC
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

sdnative

Re: Fire Extinguisher

Post by sdnative » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I am in the middle of listening to the net dealing with fire extinguishers (5/22/08).

http://www.oausa.net/on-air-nets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm

I have a 5 lb Halon Extinguisher mounted on the rear door of my FJC, using Quick-Fist mounts. Halon has a big advantage when dealing with car fires- it is fire seeking, so aim isn't as critical, and it leaves no residue. The toxic residue from chemical extinguishers will cause wiring to corrode, damage paint, and even etch metal when water is added to the mix...

Halon extingushers cannot be purchased new - you can only refill existing containers. Many extingusher companies, as well as some on E-Bay, sell refilled, tested, inspected Halon extinguishers - but be prepared - they are expensive !!!
DSC02049.JPG
DSC02049.JPG (849.48 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:12 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:I have a 5 lb Halon Extinguisher mounted on the rear door of my FJC, using Quick-Fist mounts. Halon has a big advantage when dealing with car fires- it is fire seeking, so aim isn't as critical, and it leaves no residue. The toxic residue from chemical extinguishers will cause wiring to corrode, damage paint, and even etch metal when water is added to the mix...

Halon extingushers cannot be purchased new - you can only refill existing containers. Many extingusher companies, as well as some on E-Bay, sell refilled, tested, inspected Halon extinguishers - but be prepared - they are expensive !!!

Larry:

You can purchase new halon extinguishers and refill them as well. Its a bit pricey, but they are out there, see http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/h3r-halon ... ishers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Our net on fire extinguishers has some very good info.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:27 pm

DaveK wrote:Larry:

You can purchase new halon extinguishers and refill them as well. Its a bit pricey, but they are out there, see http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/h3r-halon ... ishers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Our net on fire extinguishers has some very good info.

Wow, you're not kidding... the refilled / tested units, available used, are expensive too, but much more reasonable than the new H3R units. Their 5 lb unit is $399, while I got mine, with certification and fill, for $189...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Post by traveltoad » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:44 am

I went with Halotron. I have one in the front (mounted on the passenger seat frame) and one in the rear cargo area. And one in the house.... somehow I ended up with three.
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R - gone, not forgotten
2010 KTM 250XCW
2018 Surly Karate Monkey
2016 Foundry Overland

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:15 am

Nothing fancy as far as the extinguisher but I installed it on top of the sub woofer. It' a great location, out of the way but easy to access. I moved the inverter up and into the sub woofer also. I guess an audiophile would consider this sacrilegious but it works for me.

Image7"
Last edited by gon2srf on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image_Image_Image

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:42 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:I have a 5 lb Halon Extinguisher mounted on the rear door of my FJC, using Quick-Fist mounts. Halon has a big advantage when dealing with car fires- it is fire seeking, so aim isn't as critical, and it leaves no residue. The toxic residue from chemical extinguishers will cause wiring to corrode, damage paint, and even etch metal when water is added to the mix...

Larry, how and what are you using to mount your CO2 tank?
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

BlueFJ wrote:

Larry, how and what are you using to mount your CO2 tank?
I am using a M-Pac side mount rack to mount the Powertank stainless bracket, along with a molle bag that holds all the tire repair goodies. They are made by Springtail Solutions, and are available direct, or through Dirty Parts...

W6LPB / WPOK492

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:56 pm

ssc wrote:What fire extinguisher's are you keeping in your rig? Also, how and where do you mount them? Pictures would be helpful. I have one in the back seat, but am thinking of mounting one in the back.

Regards, SSC
Here's where I keep mine. A little hard to see, but it's all mounted to a Springtail M-PAC FJ side rack.
Extinguisher1.JPG
Extinguisher1.JPG (124.26 KiB) Viewed 5158 times
Dave
N6DCF

Return to “EQUIPMENT”