Water Purification

Safety gear, medical necessities, preparedness training, shelter options and personal gear and supplies.
Alan Halcon

Water Purification

Post by Alan Halcon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:19 pm

On ocassion I get into a debate about water purification; moreover, the need to boil water to kill off the nasties. My stance is you do not need to bring the water to a boil to kill the nasties, they are killed far before that when water/milk reaches pasteurization. What does this mean? simply put, in a survival situation you consume less fuel.

you guys might like this article that substantiates my findings.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picren ... obtype=pdf

gon2srf

Re: Water Purification

Post by gon2srf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Alan-

The evidence in the article seems quite clear that heating the water to 72'C/158'F for 15 seconds kills all bacteria. However unless you will be using a thermometer it would seem the safer route for untrained survivalists would be to boil the water.

The variables are infinite but it would be interesting to know for instance how much more energy is expended to heat a cup of room temp water at sea level to boiling 100' C/212' F versus 72'C/158'F for 15 seconds.

I found the following info on Wiki to be helpful:

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Water_pasteurization

It has been known since the late 1880s, when Louis Pasteur conducted groundbreaking research on bacteria, that heat can kill pathogenic (disease-causing) microbes. Most people know contaminated water can be made safe by boiling. What is not well known is that contaminated water can be pasteurized at temperatures well below boiling, as can milk, which is commonly pasteurized at 71°C (160°F) for 15 seconds.

The chart below indicates the temperatures at which the most common waterborne pathogens are rapidly killed, thus resulting in at least 90 percent of the microbes becoming inactivated in one minute at the given temperature. (The 90 percent reduction is an indicator frequently used to express the heat sensitivity of various microbes.) Thus, five minutes at this temperature would cause at least a 99.999 percent (5 log) reduction in viable microbes capable of causing disease.
Microbe Killed Rapidly At
Worms, Protozoa cysts (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Entamoeba) 55°C (131°F)
Bacteria (V. cholerae, E. coli, Shigella, Salmonella typhi), Rotavirus 60°C (140°F)
Hepatitis A virus 65°C (149°F)
(Significant inactivation of these microbes actually starts at about 5°C (9°F) below these temperatures, although it may take a couple of minutes at the lower temperature to obtain 90 percent inactivation.)
Image_Image_Image

Alan Halcon

Post by Alan Halcon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Well, there's a couple of things to consider. One is fuel might be scarce. And in the case of ultra lighters, they take as little as possible to begin with. The second would be precious water is evaporating by taking it to a boil. Sure, in the grand scheme of things it might not seem like much but in a survival situation every little bit helps.

Of course, if you can also collect the water vapors, That is distilled water and is good to go. Certainly distilling is a great way to de-salinate sea water.

Just food for thought

Alan

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:19 am

Don't get me wrong, I agree and appreciate the information. I'm playing devils advocate in saying better safe than sorry. :D Keep up the great posts!
Image_Image_Image

Alan Halcon

Post by Alan Halcon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:41 am

Gon, yes better safe than sorry. there is a passive type thermometer that may be of interest. it is called a wapi and is used in solar pasteurization known as sodis.

that being said, one can tell when water is about to go into a rolling boil-- you begin to get a couple of bubble streams from the bottom of the container.

Alan

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks Alan, I'll check out the wapi thermometer. Since I'm always boiling water at home and have several cooking thermometers handy I'll practice using your method and see how accurate I can.
Image_Image_Image

JohnGalt

Post by JohnGalt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I just use my steri-pen. Have for years since they first came out. Ultraviolet based - like city municipalities use. Kills viruses for int'l travel. Kills Crypto w/o having to wait several hours like with the miox. And no aftertaste like iodine based methods.....

No boiling, virtually no setup.....
"Do Not Let The Hero In Your Soul Perish...."

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm

JohnGalt wrote:I just use my steri-pen. Have for years since they first came out. Ultraviolet based - like city municipalities use. Kills viruses for int'l travel. Kills Crypto w/o having to wait several hours like with the miox. And no aftertaste like iodine based methods.....

No boiling, virtually no setup.....
JohnGalt - Can you provide some more info about the Steri-pen for those of us who have no idea what it is? Sounds interesting - how does it work, how long does it last, how much does it cost ?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

FunJunkie

Post by FunJunkie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 pm

In my Emergency kit I got a bottle of purification tablets. they are really cheap. The ones I have instruct you to remove as much solid litter from the water source that you can, I.E. leaves, bugs, etc. one bottle of 50 pills treats up to 25 quarts. heres a link to the first ones that came up in my search. Any thoughts on these??
http://www.campingsurvival.com/purtab.html

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:44 am

FunJunkie wrote:In my Emergency kit I got a bottle of purification tablets. they are really cheap. The ones I have instruct you to remove as much solid litter from the water source that you can, I.E. leaves, bugs, etc. one bottle of 50 pills treats up to 25 quarts. heres a link to the first ones that came up in my search. Any thoughts on these??
http://www.campingsurvival.com/purtab.html

Mike-These work but these weater tends to taste like iodine. It will do the job though. ;)

My only concern with something that makes the water taste funny is trying to make my son drink it in a pinch. He can be stubborn and just isn't old enough to understand yet.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS”