Water Purification

Safety gear, medical necessities, preparedness training, shelter options and personal gear and supplies.
sdnative

Re: Water Purification

Post by sdnative » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:25 am

OLLIE wrote:My only concern with something that makes the water taste funny is trying to make my son drink it in a pinch. He can be stubborn and just isn't old enough to understand yet.
Bring a packet or two of kool-aid to make it taste yummy. :lol:

JohnGalt

Post by JohnGalt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 am

cruiserlarry wrote:
JohnGalt wrote:I just use my steri-pen. Have for years since they first came out. Ultraviolet based - like city municipalities use. Kills viruses for int'l travel. Kills Crypto w/o having to wait several hours like with the miox. And no aftertaste like iodine based methods.....

No boiling, virtually no setup.....
JohnGalt - Can you provide some more info about the Steri-pen for those of us who have no idea what it is? Sounds interesting - how does it work, how long does it last, how much does it cost ?
They have several models, but I still use the original because I see no significant value to upgrade (and the case of one model, think it's actually much less useful for my needs).

It works by applying UV light to water - hence it's ability to kill viruses. I use a pre-filter on top of a nalgene to take out sediment (although I suppose it takes out the good fiber....<s>), then apply the steri-pen light to kill all the bad stuff.

The next big update in this space will be the ability to manufacture units with LED based light.

Larry, since you're local, I'd be happy to bring mine by and you can see it. For everyone else, it's always in my "bug-out" bag and you can see it on any trip/adventure we're on together.

When I got mine, they were sort of hard to find = now one can even get them at REI, or A-16

http://www.steripen.com/
"Do Not Let The Hero In Your Soul Perish...."

JohnGalt

Post by JohnGalt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:39 am

Also - If you do any international travel, a filter will not do. Hepatitis, Cyrpto, etc are problems not solved with a filter. They're too small and go right thru and then into you.

Also, for hawaii, where I go a lot on business and 'occasionally' fit in some hiking, there is Leptospirosis, which is said to not be adequately stopped with a filter; a 'purifier' is recommended.

The Mioxx system gets a lot of good press, but with Crypto, for example, water has to sit overnight - at least last time I looked at it. http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/ With UV, you treat and drink.

There is one big disadvantage I find, and that's shallow pools. When on a trek deep into the Grand Canyon, the only water we could find was in very shallow potholes in the rocks - and it was impossible to dip a bottle in. We had a filter as our backup system and used that to pump the water out - then UV'd it.

Hope that helps.....

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm

I just got an REI flyer today - and they have the Steri-pen on sale for $89.95 (reg $129.95). I don't know if that's a good deal, or if there are different models, but I thought I'd let folks know...The price is good May 1-10, 2009...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:12 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:I just got an REI flyer today - and they have the Steri-pen on sale for $89.95 (reg $129.95). I don't know if that's a good deal, or if there are different models, but I thought I'd let folks know...The price is good May 1-10, 2009...
That is just for the pen. There is a smaller pen (the Adventure model) for $99.95. There is a kit combo that includes the pen valued at $89.95, pouch, filter, and container for $99.95 too. Sounds like a great deal. I would like to hear what Alan says about the pens and go from there. I travel to Mexico frequently and might just pick up one of the kits to use down there. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

JohnGalt

Post by JohnGalt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:54 pm

OLLIE wrote:
cruiserlarry wrote:I just got an REI flyer today - and they have the Steri-pen on sale for $89.95 (reg $129.95). I don't know if that's a good deal, or if there are different models, but I thought I'd let folks know...The price is good May 1-10, 2009...
That is just for the pen. There is a smaller pen (the Adventure model) for $99.95. There is a kit combo that includes the pen valued at $89.95, pouch, filter, and container for $99.95 too. Sounds like a great deal. I would like to hear what Alan says about the pens and go from there. I travel to Mexico frequently and might just pick up one of the kits to use down there. ;)

I have had the classic for several years (since about the day it was available). Never switched because with lithium batteries it (still) gets the most cycles.

http://www.steripen.com/comparison.html

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:20 pm

OLLIE wrote:
That is just for the pen. There is a kit combo that includes the pen valued at $89.95, pouch, filter, and container for $99.95 too. Sounds like a great deal.
That price is for the kit, according to the picture they show with the ad...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Alan Halcon

Post by Alan Halcon » Fri May 01, 2009 10:44 am

The steri-pen, in my opinion, is a great little tool. It does work, but as has been mentioned, the water should be pre-filtered and the sediment allowed to settle. Turbidity in the water plays a major roll in steri-pens ability to purify water.

Here's a link to another thread I was involved with on another forum regarding water

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=170534

Sorry for the late reply

Alan

Return to “EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS”