Snake Bite Scenario

Safety gear, medical necessities, preparedness training, shelter options and personal gear and supplies.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Snake Bite Scenario

Post by OLLIE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:18 pm

So I have a few scenarios that i would like to hear some opinions on. You are in the middle of either Death Valley or the Mojave with a group of people. An adult gets bit by a rattlesnake. You have an amateur radio and or a PLB/SPOT. Do you call in for emergency services or try to get the person to the hospital on your own?

We often hear of people going into the middle of know where and spraining an ankle or breaking something and rescuers often say that that they probably shouldn't have been called in. Is this the case with a rattlesnake bite as well since most rattlesnake victims don't die?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Re: Snake Bite Scenario

Post by Chazz Layne » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Maybe... I would at the very least say "both" though if they can be moved safely and you know which way to go. At the very least, it would minimize transit time if you can meet emergency services part-way there...
Chazz Laynedotcom

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:21 pm

A venomous snake bite if far more serious than a sprained ankle or broken bone. I would call it in. Although most rattlesnake victims don't die, we don't know how our own bodies will react. Even if a victim receives medical treatment in a relatively short amount of time, sever tissue damage can still occur.

Also keep in mind that the Mojave Green, which is widely regarded as having the most potent venom of all the rattlesnakes, inhabits some of those areas. While other rattlers have hemotoxin, that of the Mojave Green is neurotoxin, which destroys nerves and nerve tissue. A bite from a Mojave Green can produce neurological effects and can stop the breathing process. So, I agree with Chazz.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:11 am

I do not feel this warrants the Helicopter button for most healthy adults. That is why a ham radio would be better than the PLB/ Spot since you can communicate exactly what you plan.
This is a wilderness context (i.e. more than 2 hours from definitive care). You need to determine the problem list, the anticipated problems and your plan for each.
In 20-30% of bites there is no envenomation. You will have swelling at the bite site and it will be painful. Treat it like any other wound - clean and dress it. Remove any constricting items and perhaps draw a circle around it. You should anticipate the possibility of a systemic reaction, volume shock, and clotting issues.
In all cases, this is an urgent evacuation and you should start heading towards help. This is when it would help to have prepared a list of hospitals and emergency numbers, repeaters, etc. I agree with the others that it is beneficial if you can arrange to have ALS meet you.

In Death Valley there is little possibility of hitting a 2 meter repeater. A sat phone would be better.

Not all emergency rooms stock the anti-venom and will need to arrange delivery. Doing your homework in advance is helpful (which hospitals stock it- assuming you have a selection of hospitals) as is being able to start the communication in the field to reduce the time to acquire the anti-venom.

With all this said very few people die of bite in the US. And most bites are to young males in their hands or legs who were harassing the snake. Alcoholic beverages may be involved as well.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

Return to “EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS”