Random outdoor adventure shots...

Pictures are worth a thousand words
Railsplitter

Random outdoor adventure shots...

Post by Railsplitter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Okay, I'm thinking 'Niners vs. Patriots in the Super Bowl... :lol: Let me see if I can post a few pictures. I was gonna post these in that "Random Rigs" thread, but not all photos include trucks, so here we go... got a thousand photos, just gonna post a handful here to give viewers an idea of what my friends and I do in the wilderness.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 002.jpg
Truck camping, Guadalupe Mountains National Park, TX... hung out here for the night prior to ascending Guadalupe Peak.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 002.jpg (273.38 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c85700.jpg
Truck camping in the Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine, CA... excellent bouldering here.
c85700.jpg (76.31 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 003.jpg
View of Islas Los Coronados, looking NW along the chain... in my own small circle, I'm known for sailing a Laser to the islands on overnight voyages, which means landing, exploring, and sleeping atop the islands.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 003.jpg (221.93 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 001.jpg
Direct aid climbing back in the day, San Diego, CA.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 001.jpg (162.84 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c96281.jpg
Dwelling on the overhang, as we were known to do... true vertical ascertained by water tank in background.
c96281.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 033.jpg
Climbing partner on "Orange Walk" (5.10b), Mission Gorge, San Diego, CA.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 033.jpg (191.21 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 039.jpg
Osage River overlook, central MO... I like the buzzards circling at upper left.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 039.jpg (191.99 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c68643.jpg
Tree shadows on boulder, Vedauwoo, WY.
c68643.jpg (71.35 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c79603.jpg
Summit panorama, Mohawk Mountains, SW AZ... a good hike or climb, easily accessible from I-8.
c79603.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c11992.jpg
High on Mt. Livermore, TX... can you see my truck parked far below?
c11992.jpg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c9740.jpg
First island voyage aboard the 14' Laser, little more than a glorified surfboard with a rig... Islas Los Coronados, Baja California, Mexico.
c9740.jpg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c11536.jpg
San Rafael Swell, UT... clouds are so real they look fake, 10-4?
c11536.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c98202.jpg
101' Middle Rock from the 251' summit of Middle Island, Islas Los Coronados, Baja California, Mexico.
c98202.jpg (79.92 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 028.jpg
Outcrop, Valley of the Moon, CA.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 028.jpg (273.14 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
c44752.jpg
"Honey, I'm home!!! Oh, that's right, I'm not married, Thank God!!!"
c44752.jpg (39.39 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
:lol:

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Re: Random outdoor adventure shots...

Post by smslavin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 am

wow. sailing a laser out to the coronados? i'm impressed. we used to go out there all the time to dive although i have never stepped onto any of the islands. thanks for that view.
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

Railsplitter

Post by Railsplitter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 am

You're welcome... technically, one is supposed to have permission from the Mexican government to land there. That very first voyage to Isla Sur, I took a big ol' bottle of rum out there and wound up partying with the NCOIC in that barrack above Smugglers Cove. Alcohol: the universal passport. :lol: All subsequent voyages were "stealth voyages"---minimal impact, taking care not to disturb the wildlife, and leaving no trace of my presence. You can see other shots of the islands in that thread I mentioned in my introduction. Over the years, I've met people who claimed to have done the same thing, landing on all four islands in small craft (claims usually made at parties or in beachfront bars), but of course they lacked photodocumentation. :roll: As far as I know, I'm the only person who has sailed a Laser out there, landed on all four islands, explored them in detail and slept on the three largest, including primo bivouacs atop Isla Norte (467') and Middle Island (251'). The view from the 672' summit of Isla Sur is cool, but you have other people on the island... I like having the remaining islands to myself, casually exploring, watching the sunset, and generally hanging out with the wildlife. Gotta go, I'm on a mission to Dago this morning, thanks for your reply. "ADIOS!!!"
Last edited by Railsplitter on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks for the photos. You sure do get around!
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Railsplitter

Post by Railsplitter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 am

WAHOO!!! GAME DAY!!! :lol:

Here are a few more random outdoor photos...
c99836.jpg
Hiking toward climber's paradise, Mt. Livermore, TX.
c99836.jpg (83.67 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
69703.jpg
Summit view, Isla Sur, Islas Los Coronados, Baja California, Mexico.
69703.jpg (209.8 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
59708.jpg
View of sea lion rookery, Isla Norte, Islas Los Coronados, Baja California, Mexico.
59708.jpg (211.71 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
12298.jpg
Summit view, Middle Island, Islas Los Coronados, Baja California, Mexico. Look closely and you can see my derigged Laser at the head of the cove, turned topside-down for stealth purposes.
12298.jpg (204.24 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 027.jpg
Valley of the Moon, CA.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 027.jpg (272.42 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 026.jpg
Stonehenge, CA style... Valley of the Moon.
ISLAS LOS CORONADOS 026.jpg (282.67 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c9297.jpg
Colorado River channels near Parker, AZ.
c9297.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c92713.jpg
Outcrop, Vedauwoo, WY.
c92713.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c17196.jpg
Truck camping in a big ol' International, Cottonwood Campground, McCain Valley, San Diego County, CA.
c17196.jpg (66.38 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c17812.jpg
Entrance road to Valley of the Moon, as seen from the shoulder of Tahe Peak, near the old Elliot Amethyst Mine.
c17812.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c5310.jpg
Canyon on the San Rafael Swell, UT... one of my favorite areas nationwide.
c5310.jpg (59.81 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c63084.jpg
90-m.p.h. International Eagle, Carrizo Badlands Overlook, McCain Valley, San Diego County, CA.
c63084.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c59950.jpg
"T-Bone" (seated) and "Joey" truck surfing while bombing down McCain Valley Road in the bad boy Eagle.
c59950.jpg (39.7 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c35200.jpg
Field Kitchen, Expedient (LOL), on the hood of the Olds, which saw more off-roading than most lifted disco trucks combined. East San Diego County, CA.
c35200.jpg (70.6 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
c45228.jpg
Stuck in a rut, Otay Mountain, San Diego, CA. Drifted into this rut at low speed while looking over my shoulder, and it took us three hours to dig ourselves out. Best lesson I ever imparted to my nephew and his friend Brian: self-sufficiency in the field.
c45228.jpg (70.88 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
Well, that's it for now, I'm off to see about making a big ol' pot of coffee... looking forward to the AFC and NFC Championship games today, and my money is on the 'Niners and the Patriots. "ADIOS!!!"

Railsplitter

Post by Railsplitter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:17 am

One more thing... many of my pictures come from old school paper photographs, and some of those photographs have been scratched or otherwise marred through handling over the years. Some knuckleheads may have spilled beer on one or two photos as well, and I don't know the first thing about PhotoShop (can't be bothered with it), so bear with me when ya see some minor scratch or blemish on a photo. One of these years, I'll move out of the Stone Age and buy a digital camera... or maybe I'll die first. :lol:

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 am

The scratches give it character, and I still break out my old Fujica st-605n once in a while, nothing wrong with the old stuff

Cris

and welcome to the group
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Railsplitter

Post by Railsplitter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 pm

I copy that... nice bighorn shot in that avatar. Such stately creatures, those bighorns, with so much natural dignity. Whenever I'm in the field and bighorns appear, I always stop whatever I'm doing just to check 'em out. The way they move on steep rock is a revelation to climbers: smooth dynamic moves, excellent balance, very little wasted effort. A hand can learn a thing or two from those animals... :lol:

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:47 pm

The avatar is one of a small heard in Mt Baldy, about 7 miles from home. They come down about 150yds from the road, right in town, and most people dont even realize they are there. I love watching them
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Railsplitter

Post by Railsplitter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 am

Not the same Mt. Baldy famous in skateboarding circles for its classic pipeline??? The same Mt. Baldy in so many magazines, including some early issues of "SkateBoarder Magazine???" I have a really cool shot of that place, but I'm on the iPad and not the other computer, otherwise I'd post it pronto (hafta be done later). Ya know, I was tempted to look up San Antonio Heights in my Trucker's Atlas, but never got around to it because I was watching the games... and who would've THUNK the Giants would pull out a victory??? :lol: Oh, well, such is life, and my interest in the Super Bowl wanes. Bighorn sheep are cool: I've seen small flocks or herds in Borrego and the Rocky Mountains, up to a dozen at a time, and they always draw my attention. Interesting animals, those bighorn sheep, and very elegant in their movements, just like my cat Sage. Got another cat named Dixie, but she's a fat cat, and she lacks the natural grace of bighorns. I suppose I could duct tape some horns to her head in a scientific experiment to improve her balance, but I haven't gotten around to it. Sage is a different story, he's a real technical rock climber's cat, and he can leap to astonishing heights. Both cats were rescued off Craigslist, thereby saving me shelter fees, 10??? Normally, I would rescue shelter animals, but my run-in with the crooked greaseball D.A. here in Dago left me no choice as far as fees are concerned; however, these cats would've gone to shelters anyway (a virtual death sentence in this economy), so I like to think that I cut out the middleman in the process of saving the cats' lives. Enough said, I'm back to "Kingdom of Heaven"---a movie I like even though I'm not terribly religious. Adios!!! "The Railsplitter"

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”