Lone Pine to Mammoth?

Plan your runs here
rfjtoy

Lone Pine to Mammoth?

Post by rfjtoy » Thu May 08, 2008 3:33 pm

I would like information :?: on the 4x4 trails, if there are any, from the Lone Pine or Bishop area that get you back behind or to Mammoth. If this is doable :? , I would like to plan a 3-4 day trip late July/early August this summer. If you have been through this area or have other ideas for an Eastern Sierra mountain trip, please post up. I need to get this planned before my Africa trip :mrgreen: for in July.

BorregoWrangler

Re: Lone Pine to Mammoth?

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu May 08, 2008 5:53 pm

I'm planning a trip up to northern California this Fall. There are a few trails up off the 395 between Bishop and Bridgeport we're going to try on our way up. I got the information out of the Charles A. Well book, Guide To Northern California Backroads and 4-wheel Drive Trails. http://funtreks.com/index.php?page=book_6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't have the info with me at the moment but there's a wealth of good stuff right in that area. I'll post up some suggestions later if I get a chance.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

rfjtoy

Post by rfjtoy » Fri May 09, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks for the reply. Any info is helpful.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Fri May 09, 2008 6:37 pm

I did a 3 day rolling run last Labor Day with the Ridgecrest Geargrinders up through the Inyo and White Mountains. We started at Mazourka Canyon which is East of Independence and continued past Andrews Mountain. From there there we took Wyman Canyon into the Bristlecone Pine Forest and finally Silver Canyon down into Laws. I think I have the route pretty much correct. None of the trails were worse than a class III. We only saw one other vehicle on the trail the whole weekend until we got into the Bristlecone Pine Forest.

I'm sure there are some interesting off road routes to get you from there over to Mammoth.

A good set of trail guides for that area are the Mitchell guides for "inyo-Mono SUV Trails" and "High Sierra SUV Trails Volume I The East Side". They were written by Rodger Mitchell and are published by Track and Trail Publications in Oakhurst, CA.

I hope this helps.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

Arkarch
Call Sign: KF6VOM

Post by Arkarch » Wed May 28, 2008 7:43 pm

Coyote Flats area just SW of Bishop is a wonderful area to explore!

There is road west of town that runs up a rather adventurous climb to the first flats,, then Coyote is beyond that. We ended up on the broad flats on 10,000 ft, there is a primitive camping area under the trees at 37° 10.564'N, 118° 26.902'W. Absolutely gorgeous spot, mountain cool, with the Pinnacles as backdrop. A cabin and some rock garden trails lie on the branch to the west. I understand the trail southward has been wiped out to all but ATV/bike access; even though it remains in the Mitchell guide books. If you are more adventurous, there is the east facing on trails accessible from the same flats. Or you could go up higher to Coyote. Some images from my trip there last August - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM/CoyoteValley2007

I have been looking at a repeat trip that way later in August. I trailed with a few other guys (some in the pix) who went out to nowhere Nevada to watch the Vegas-Reno offroad race first; we trailed the White Mountains and camped at Coyote, the images you see here. I may have a few others if you were looking at cobbling up a group to run 395-area trails.

added -
Also did Wyman and Silver on the east side of Bishop, as described above. Both are nice adventures, but not difficult. A bit domestic especially as you get on top. Much prefer the west side. Pix for those trails - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM/WhiteMountains2007
2009 VR6 Alaska Gray VW Touareg + BFG 265/70/17's + Air Lift + 1 Locker
2006 V6 Colorado Red VW Touareg (Retired)
Images - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”