June 5th & 6th - Big Bear (SummerFest Pre-Run)

Plan your runs here
Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

June 5th & 6th - Big Bear (SummerFest Pre-Run)

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed May 19, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm headed up to Big Bear on Saturday, June 5th, to renew my pass and check out the trail conditions on Gold Mountain and Jacoby Canyon before SummerFest. This will be a leisurely trip. I'm planing to roll out of the Discovery Center around 09:30, pre-run those 2 trails, then do Heartbreak Ridge/Pontiac Loop. If the road to Butler Peak has been re-opened by then I'd like to head over there too.

Saturday night we'll be camping at Coon Creek Cabin so we can check it out before SummerFest. Campfires are still allowed at the moment, I doubt it will change before the weekend but we'll double-check on Saturday morning.

Sunday we'll head out via Burns Canyon or Rattlesnake Canyon, with lunch at Pioneertown (outside Yucca Valley) before heading home.

Anyone interested in going is welcome... just post up and let me know you're coming. Drivers and vehicles should be capable of moderately difficult trails (I heard Gold Mountain is pretty torn up from winter). Plenty of room for camping on Saturday, so group size isn't a big deal. I'll be monitoring 147.510 and CB13 for this trip.

Participants:

Chazz
OLLIE
socal_rubi
sdnative - Saturday
Nick Shammas
SP Jon M3
ssc - Saturday

Comms:

Simplex - 147.510
Repeater - K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8
CB - 13

Nearest Medical Help:

Bear Mountain Family Medicine/Urgent Care
41949 Big Bear Blvd.
(909) 878-3696
Last edited by Chazz Layne on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Chazz Laynedotcom

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: June 5th & 6th - Big Bear (SummerFest Pre-Run)

Post by OLLIE » Wed May 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Chazz,

My son and I will be joining you for this trip. I'm trying to talk Skytrax (KJ6GGW) into it too. He needs to put a few more scratches on his JK and wear some of that new tread off in the dirt rather than on the pavement. :lol: I want to take this opportunity to check out Coon Creek cabin first hand as well. Maybe I'll swing by there on my way in to meet you at the Discovery Center unless you want to go by there too. Other than an Adventure Pass is there any other permits we have to obtain to camp on the trail up there?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed May 19, 2010 3:21 pm

Sounds great. :mrgreen:

I'll leave the cabin scouting up to you, I have a few stops to make on the way up Saturday morning.

I already have a CA campfire permit, which is the only other one we might need. It will cover the group as long as I am present... I believe they are also available for free at the Discovery Center if you want to pick up one for yourself.
Chazz Laynedotcom

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Wed May 19, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm in. It's been too long since I've been in the dirt, and BB is my favorite playground. Did you hear rumors about Butler Peak being re-opend?
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed May 19, 2010 4:12 pm

socal_rubi wrote:I'm in. It's been too long since I've been in the dirt, and BB is my favorite playground. Did you hear rumors about Butler Peak being re-opend?
No... but it was only closed to protect the damaged/young vegetation. I'm hoping it will be open in time for a sunset trip on the 25th.
Chazz Laynedotcom

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Wed May 19, 2010 7:15 pm

I was just up in Big Bear on Sunday and Butler peak was still closed
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

ssc

Post by ssc » Wed May 19, 2010 8:36 pm

If you all don't mind, I would like to join you for the Sat run. BB is one of my favorite areas. Can't spend the night as my daughter graduates from law school Sunday. I will hitch a ride to Havasu and bring the FJ back. Great pictures from Gold MTN looking across the valley.

Regards, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 pm

If you guys dont mind, I would love to join you
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Thu May 20, 2010 8:50 am

Chazz Layne wrote:I'm headed up to Big Bear on Saturday, June 5th, to renew my pass and check out the trail conditions on Gold Mountain and Jacoby Canyon before SummerFest. This will be a leisurely trip. I'm planing to roll out of the Discovery Center around 11:00. Campfires are allowed at the moment, so I'm planning on heading to a small yellow post site after we finish up Jacoby. If the road to Butler Peak has been re-opened by then we'll head over there too.
I should be able to join you on Saturday. Butler Peak has some great views!
Chazz Layne wrote:Sunday I'd like to explore around the east end, maybe get in some target shooting, then work our way down Burns Canyon to Yucca Valley.
Last time I checked, the range East of Big Bear is open.
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 am

Chazz Layne wrote: I already have a CA campfire permit, which is the only other one we might need. It will cover the group as long as I am present... I believe they are also available for free at the Discovery Center if you want to pick up one for yourself.
Yeap, you can get your Fire Permit at the service desk and the Adventure Center. They are valid for the whole year! http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/passes/ They are free and that is a great place to pick up an Adventure Pass and the store has a few interesting books to help pass the time in camp.

I ran Jacoby a month or so ago. It was fine, more over grown and pretty than I’d remembered it. Gold was more tore up last year than before, so if it is worse, it'll keep the tourists out.

I’ll be up there that same weekend with a different club, and we plan to be on Gold as well as others. I’ll keep an ear on 147.510 to say hello!
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”