Golar Wash

Plan your runs here
ssc

Golar Wash

Post by ssc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:03 pm

I want to check out Death Valley and have started to do some research. Perhaps we can get a good DV trip put together. I do not care to camp, so it is something to consider. Anyway, I have been looking at some trails and came across Golar Wash. Seems to be a steep waterfall at the beginning. The strange thing is that it doesn't look all that tough and many vids show folks going up with minimal drama. In the same accord, I have seen a few vids with people having quite a bit of trouble--which appears to me to be more driver issues. First, I am not casting stones. I have not been on this trail and know that conditions can change. So, my question is has anyone been on this trail? If so, why am I seeing people having so much trouble vs others--in stock rigs having no issues? Is my initial thought correct?

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Re: Golar Wash

Post by photojeeper » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:48 pm

I have done Golar Wash twice and the only "technical" area is in the middle as you approach Mengle Pass. Some small hill climbs and a couple of rock gardens. The first time I was just with my Jeep and camping gear. The second time was with my M416 trailer. Both times I was able to get through without any issues. The important thing is to have high clearance. I am not meaning 33" tires; 31's will work fine. Also should be able to not need lockers. If you put your tires where they need to be you are though in no time. The rest of the trail is your average Mojave style trail. Well I think you will need to campout somewhere. To get to Ballarat is 60+ miles from Ridgecrest. It takes a day to get across to the other side to Furnace Creek; you will need and want to take photos and see the place otherwise you are just driving. Then when you get to the other side there are hotels (two) not inexpensive. The NPS has campgrounds and they are nice and are only 18.00 per night. Otherwise you are driving more to either Beatty or other small cities. So camping is the best option.

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

ssc

Post by ssc » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:23 am

JJ,
Thanks for the info. I will take your suggestions to heart.

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:40 am

My last trip up Gohler wash was in October this year. The water fall you asked about has become a bit worse. But your original observation is correct. It just takes correct tire placement and picking the right line. As in the previous post, you will find 2 short stretches just as you come over Mengle pass that are more difficult. Again, just take your time and be precise on wheel placement. (I spotted a stock Liberty thru in March).
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Just don't try it in a Land Rover Evoque -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miuU8G7ufw

The first part of this video looks like it may be Fish Creek which runs between Trona and the southern end of Panamint Valley. The "narrow rocky canyon" is the beginning of Goler Wash. The point where James gets stuck is the first waterfall. It's not really that difficult with the proper vehicle when dry but it can be a little challenging when wet. I made it up with an 04 Tacoma with a 2.5" lift, 31" BFG AT tires, and an open differential when wet with some helpful spotting. Goler Wash often has a small trickle of water flowing most of the year.

The sand dunes can not be in Death Valley since you can't drive on the dunes there. I suspect that was Dumont Dunes.

If saw the Top Gear USA episode where they were trying to tow trailers to Las Vegas without going on pavement you also could see the entrance to Goler Wash. I hope they did a good job cleaning up the mess they made.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 196,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Ah, that was not Golar Wash. That gravel trail was Echo Canyon done that three times. Great mine at the sort of end. From the mine you can turn back or go on all the way to Beatty, NV that waterfall looks like it was groomed. The last time I did it with two other Jeeps it was much steeper. The dunes was Dumont; you could not pay the NPS enough money to drive on the dunes.

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”