Feb. 18th-20th, 2012: Mittry Lake & Kofa NWR

Plan your runs here
BorregoWrangler

Feb. 18th-20th, 2012: Mittry Lake & Kofa NWR

Post by BorregoWrangler » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Mittry Lake Wildlife Area & Kofa National Wildlife Refuge
February 18th-20th, 2012

I plan on taking full advantage of this three day weekend I have coming up in February. Instead of hitting up the same old trails, I’d like to explore and see areas that I haven’t been to yet. I wasn’t able to check out all I wanted to during my SoCal & AZ Overland Adventure so that gives me a good reason to head out again into the great unknown.

For this trip I’d like to set up a base camp and head out from there for the day. Mittry Lake Wildlife Area would be an ideal spot for this.

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation ... lake.shtml

From there it’s a short distance to access the Castle Dome Mountains and network of 4wheel drive trails in the Kofa NWR. A full day could be spent on the trail while another could be spent just relaxing around camp and fishing.

DIRECTIONS TO SITE: From I-8 exit US Highway 95 / 16th st. Turn north on Avenue 7E, go north to Co 3rd St and turn right then left again on Laguna Dam Road. Continue on and Mittry Lake begins approximately 1/2 mile past end of pavement.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF SITE: The Mittry Lake Wildlife Area includes about 600 acres of water surface and 2400 acres of marsh or upland. A wide variety of vegetative and wildlife species can be found here, with a scenic backdrop of three mountain ranges. Numerous serpentine waterways connect to main lake body and make exploring by boat a unique experience. This area is jointly managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, and the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

FACILITIES PROVIDED: Vault toilet, boat ramp and parking lot, trash dumpster at ramp, numerous dispersed camping sites, large jetties for fishing access, handicapped accessible fishing jetty.

FEATURES: This area provides a wide variety of opportunities for camping, boating, hiking, fishing, waterfowl hunting, swimming, wildlife viewing and sightseeing.

FEES/PERMITS REQUIRED: No fee required for camping, day use, or boat launching.

LIMITATIONS: Camping is limited to 10 days per calendar year. One central trash collection point requires that visitors pack out their own trash. Use of all sites is on a first-come first- served basis. This lake is closed to water skiing but open to pleasure and fishing boat use. Fishermen must have Arizona fishing license or California fishing license with Colorado River Stamp.

The waters of Mittry Lake also cover an old mining town. La Laguna existed for a short time from 1860 to 1862. The town had a few merchants and a ferry across the Colorado River that served placer miners in the vicinity. When the La Paz gold rush began, La Laguna was abandoned. Its former site now lies beneath Mittry Lake

Kofa National Wildlife Refuge

Established in 1939, Kofa National Wildlife Refuge encompasses 665,400 acres of pristine desert. The Refuge provides essential habitat for Desert Bighorn Sheep, the California Fan Palm, and other wildlife and plants.

Desert Bighorn Sheep are found chiefly in the two mountain ranges that dominate the refuge landscape - the Kofa and Castle Dome Mountains. Although these mountains are not especially high, they are extremely rugged and rise sharply from the surrounding desert plains, providing excellent bighorn sheep habitat.

80% of Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, 516,300 acres, is federally designated wilderness. Wilderness is protected to ensure that nature, not people is the primary influence on this quiet, scenic place.

In the early part of this century, a number of mines were established in the mountainous areas of the refuge. One of the most notable was the King of Arizona mine. It gave the Kofa Mountains their name-- "Kofa" being contracted from King of Arizona.

So who else wants to head out?

1. BorregoWrangler
2. THATSALEXUS?
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

THATSALEXUS?

Re: Feb. 18th-20th, 2012: Mittry Lake & Kofa NWR

Post by THATSALEXUS? » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:20 pm

I should be free that weekend, I just don't remember if I get President's day off or not. Count me in for now.

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:03 pm

THATSALEXUS? wrote:I should be free that weekend, I just don't remember if I get President's day off or not. Count me in for now.
Sounds good, Steve. This should be a nice little getaway. As the date gets closer we can work out some of the details. But right now I'm thinking I'll head out there early that Saturday morning.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

mtngote
Call Sign: KJ6SJP

Post by mtngote » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 pm

we were thinking of doing the bradshaw that weekend and ending up at picacho. same route you did over christmass before we hooked up with you ,we will make our minds up befor then
steve&shellie (white fj)

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:02 am

mtngote wrote:we were thinking of doing the bradshaw that weekend and ending up at picacho. same route you did over christmass before we hooked up with you ,we will make our minds up befor then
steve&shellie (white fj)
Sounds good guys. Hope you can make it out.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Well, unfortunately due to unexpected expenses, I'm going to have to postpone this trip until a later date. I should still probably be able to get out that weekend, just closer to home.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”