President's Day Weekend Feb 16th-18th, 2013: Picacho SRA

Plan your runs here
BorregoWrangler

President's Day Weekend Feb 16th-18th, 2013: Picacho SRA

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm planning on camping along the Colorado River at the Picacho State Recreation Area over the long weekend in February. If anyone else is interested, feel free to post up!

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=641
100 years ago Picacho was a gold mining town with 100 citizens. Today the site is a State Park, popular with boaters, hikers, anglers and campers. The park offers diverse scenery, including beavertail cactus, wild burros, bighorn sheep and thousands of migratory waterfowl.

Day use is $5.00

Main Campground: $20.00

Outpost and S4 Beach Camp: $25.00

For additional information or questions, you can call the park office at (760) 996-2963.

Here are also a few points of interest folks might want to check out along the way and in the area.

Felicity & Camp Pilot Knob- Felicity is named after Jacques-Andre Istel’s wife Felicia, and Jacques-Andre somehow got Imperial County to incorporate it as a town with a population of two. Felicity is also the center of the world and a pyramid that you can walk into marks the spot to stand on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicity,_California

Camp Pilot Knob just east of the center of the world and one of a series of Desert Training Centers of World War II. Training was tough. One exercise was a mile run in the midday heat with full gear and rifle and it had to be done in under 10 minutes. Google maps: 32.75095, -114.7548

Old Plank Road- (32.710317, -114.922783) The Old Plank Road is a plank road in Imperial County, California that was built in 1915 as an east–west route over the Algodones Dunes. It effectively connected the extreme lower section of Southern California to Arizona and provided the last link in a commercial route between San Diego and Yuma. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Plank_Road

American Girl Mine & Tumco Historic Mining Town- (32°51'21"N 114°47'7"W & 32°52.51N 114°48.53W) Tumco is an abandoned gold mining town. This open area is managed by the Bureau of Land Management. A few old buildings and some mine shafts are all that remain of the original mine and town site. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro ... tumco.html

Driftwood Charley & Hanlon Heading- In 1947 the doctors said that Charles Kasling had only a short time to live unless he moved to a hot, dry climate. First he moved to the Death Valley area, and in 1960 he left for Yuma, Arizona, where Driftwood Charley's World of Lost Art was created. The site has since been decimated. Google maps: 32.730902,-114.726877

On the east side of California 186, across from the Andrade parking lots, is a plaque memorializing the Hanlon Heading, which is an old water diversion facility built in 1905 by the California Development Company. The facility was used to divert Colorado River water west to the Imperial Valley until the All American Canal was built in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Today, the facility is owned by the Imperial Irrigation District and serves as a check gate on the Colorado River in conjunction with Rockwood Gate one mile north. An old wooden bridge crosses the diversion gate on the south side, and the building associated with the structure is in disrepair. Google maps: 32.72106,-114.725253
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

PowerWagner

Re: President's Day Weekend Feb 16th-18th, 2013: Picacho SRA

Post by PowerWagner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:20 pm

It's on my radar. Hoping I can pull it off. Looks like an interesting place!

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:46 am

Looks like there's a chance that I won't be able to get out that weekend. Still hoping, though. There is a planning thread over on Expo for this trip as well, for those that are interested.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ndian-Pass
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks, I signed up under the ExPo thread.
Andy
'06 F150 4x4 SuperCrew
'12 WR450F
'06 & '03 DRZ400S
'99 YZ250

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 am

Put my wife and I as a maybe
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

yjunk

Post by yjunk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Hey John,

It's been a while.

On New Years 2012. I camped Off Ogilby rd and Sidewinder and did some exploring in the area. In years past, I headed into the dunes. This time, I did a loop on Indian Pass and through Picacho and then south to Yuma. Easy road, and scenic in a few places. There is some nice wheeling around the American Girl mine, a big open pit that you can drive into, kind of scenic in a different way.

Indian Pass road has some good rock(gem) hunting areas.

There are some cyanide tanks and a few structures at the Hedges (Tumco) site and some information boards to fill you in on the stuff there. If you head in to the hills a mile or two south of Hedges, you can get to the back side of the mine. The road get a little rough, but you can take a short walk and get to some large gated openings. Large enough to drive a big earth mover through.

PM me, and I can send you my GPS LOC file with track logs, and way points.

Enjoy your trip.
-Sandy

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 am

yjunk wrote:Hey John,

It's been a while.

On New Years 2012. I camped Off Ogilby rd and Sidewinder and did some exploring in the area. In years past, I headed into the dunes. This time, I did a loop on Indian Pass and through Picacho and then south to Yuma. Easy road, and scenic in a few places. There is some nice wheeling around the American Girl mine, a big open pit that you can drive into, kind of scenic in a different way.

Indian Pass road has some good rock(gem) hunting areas.

There are some cyanide tanks and a few structures at the Hedges (Tumco) site and some information boards to fill you in on the stuff there. If you head in to the hills a mile or two south of Hedges, you can get to the back side of the mine. The road get a little rough, but you can take a short walk and get to some large gated openings. Large enough to drive a big earth mover through.

PM me, and I can send you my GPS LOC file with track logs, and way points.

Enjoy your trip.
-Sandy
Hey Sandy, good to hear from you! Still have the old YJ?

I won't be able to make this trip but some folks over on Expo are. Thanks for the info on some of the surrounding areas. GPS info won't help me right now since I don't have one yet, but thanks anyway.

I've been busy lately and haven't been able to get out, but I plan on doing this trip sometime soon. I'll keep in touch.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”