Mojave pool

Plan your runs here
KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

Mojave pool

Post by KK6GFF » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Finding this could make a fun one day run!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ar ... tml#page=1

Roger
Roger KK6GFF
2014 JKUR

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Mojave pool

Post by DaveK » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:38 pm

The South Mojave covers a lot of real estate. The picture shows some landmarks, but it might take someone who is familiar with the area to identify it. It would be fun, especially with some idea of where it might be. Are you volunteering to lead the run?

I wonder how many hoops the artist had to jump through to be able to place this in the desert, (with permits, fees, government red tape, environmental impact studies, reviews on the impact a pool would have on the brown nosed dung beetle, etc.)
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Before you go, you need to go get the key to open the cover on the pool in West Hollywood - and they'll provide with the coordinates for the pool's location...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 am

cruiserlarry wrote:Before you go, you need to go get the key to open the cover on the pool in West Hollywood - and they'll provide with the coordinates for the pool's location...

The crystal ball currently does not reveal a trip to West Hollywood in my future.
DaveK
K6DTK

KK6GFF

Post by KK6GFF » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Great idea, I'll call and research about it and set up something for late July or August!

Roger
Roger KK6GFF
2014 JKUR

Ken&Jill
Call Sign: K6KCE

Post by Ken&Jill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:02 pm

I called today.
The key is out until Saturday afternoon. The lady said it should be back around 11:00 to 12:00 (closed on Friday)
You gotta be there and it's first one to ask for it gets it.Sounds fun but 24 hours is pushing it a little I think.
Not sure why they did this in the heat of summer? :roll: Maybe they really want you to go swimming! :)
I'm going to put this one on my watch list. Maybe it will work out so I can score the key.

Ken

KK6GFF

Post by KK6GFF » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi Ken,

I won't be able to get on it until a couple of weeks from now, if you get any info or make it there please let us know!

At the end of the month I'll try to secure a key for a run.

Roger
Roger KK6GFF
2014 JKUR

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:54 am

I heard about this a few days ago. I think it would be a blast to head out and find this social pool!
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

KK6GFF

Post by KK6GFF » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Yesterday (Saturday) I went to the museum to ask about the key and they said that the key can be picked up at 11AM, and has to be brought back the following day before 11:15AM. It can't be reserved and it goes on a first come first served basis. They said the guy who picked up the key yesterday, was waiting since 5AM to make sure he'd be first. I asked if it would be possible to make a reservation for an organized outing, but they said it's not possible. They said that it's become very popular.

If anyone has any idea on how to organize it, it'd be great, but right now I don't know how we can make this work...
Roger KK6GFF
2014 JKUR

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:25 am

Roger

As popular as the pool seems to be, I see only two ways to check it out:

1. As soon as someone gets the key, announce the trip. This, of course, means that there will be a lot fewer people who can make the trip, especially given such short notice. And, if it is not on a weekend, this will cut down on attendance even further. This is all based on my understanding that it is impossible to know well in advance when the key will be available.

2. If we can get the coordinates, either from someone who has been there or if you can get them, we can plan the trip with enough advance notice, on a date that will allow more people to attend. Without the key though, there will be no swimming (perhaps not a great loss, however).

Anyone else with a thought?
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”