Pepperwood Canyon to Canebrake Hike: Dec. 7th, 2014

Plan your runs here
BorregoWrangler

Pepperwood Canyon to Canebrake Hike: Dec. 7th, 2014

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Pepperwood Canyon to Canebrake Valley Hike | Anza-Borrego Desert State Park: Dec. 7th, 2014
Pepperwood from Canebrake.jpg
Pepperwood from Canebrake.jpg (96.85 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
(View from Canebrake Wash. The Pepperwood Trail is straight ahead in the far distance going up the draw into McCain Valley. Photo by Daren Sefcik.)

"On a cool day, this is one of the most delightful downhill hikes in the county. Except for a 2-mile scramble down the eroded and overgrown remnants of the Pepperwood Trail in Pepperwood Canyon, little effort is required to keep moving. Below Pepperwood Canyon, the route traverses the lonely reaches of Canebrake Valley and the Inner Pasture; these two form a large, U-shaped alluvial plain surrounded by the stark, boulder-strewn slopes of the Tierra Blanca and Sawtooth mountains. Much of this area belongs to the BLM’s Sawtooth Wilderness. The riparian area along the upper part of Pepperwood Canyon is a worthy enough destination itself, as a trail of footprints attests. Traffic down the lower end of the Pepperwood Trail into Canebrake Valley and the Inner Pasture is practically nil, though." -Afoot & Afield San Diego County by Jerry Schad

Distance: 14 miles (point-to-point)
Hiking Time: 8 hours
Elevation Gain/Loss: 450'/3700'
Trail Head & Parking Location: Cottonwood Campground at N 32 48.063, W 116 20.105
Meeting Time: TBD

Directions: SOUTH END - Exit Interstate 8 an Highway 94/Boulevard exit. Go 0.5 miles south, then 1.9 miles east on Old Highway 80 to McCain Valley Road on the left. Go north, passing under Interstate 8 and continue north and northwest for 12.7 miles to Cottonwood Campground. NORTH END - The endpoint of this hike is at mile marker 41 on Highway S2, 3 miles southeast of Agua Caliente Springs.
McCane Valley Map.jpg
McCane Valley Map.jpg (136.59 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
So I'm feeling like its time for another hike out in the desert. A shuttle arrangement will need to be set up since this is a point-to-point hike, starting up in McCain Valley and ending along Highway S2, down in the desert.

This route was used by generations of Kumeyaay Indians to transit between McCain Valley and Canebrake Valley. Along the way we should encounter numerous signs of their occupation. There is also a seasonal spring surrounded by cottonwoods about 4 miles into the canyon.

Cottonwood Campground BLM Site

Adventurers:
1. BorregoWrangler (John)
2. thatsalexus? (Steve & Tammy)
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

BorregoWrangler

Re: Pepperwood Canyon to Canebrake Hike: Dec. 7th, 2014

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm still sore from this 16 mile hike! Trip report coming soon. :mrgreen:

-John Graham