Camping Trip - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NF - June 11-14, 2015

Plan your runs here
taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Re: Camping Trip - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NF - June 11-14, 2

Post by taugust » Mon May 25, 2015 7:42 pm

I brought 3 lanterns and 3 bottles of wine. I have my HF gear. I was planning on using the DO, so we will have to adjust. Dave, we will need to discuss the cooking.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:22 pm

I guess I'll have to purchase a double mantle lantern. I've been using an led one for a while.

Dave are you planning on sending the track of our route so we can upload it to our GPS's.

I'll coordinate with Bruce on our menu.

Thanks for the update!
Phil T.
W6PET

“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild."

John Muir

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon May 25, 2015 9:55 pm

Voodoo Blue 57 wrote:I guess I'll have to purchase a double mantle lantern. I've been using an led one for a while.

Dave are you planning on sending the track of our route so we can upload it to our GPS's.

I'll coordinate with Bruce on our menu.

Thanks for the update!

Phil

NO need to purchase another lantern. If you don't have a Coleman type of lantern, then the LED will work just fine.

I use Nat Geo Topo! for navigation and I can email the map to you, if that will help. If not, I can send you a GPX file. Alternatively, If you are using APRS, I can send you a calibrated map that you can use with either UI View or AGW.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

taugust

Post by taugust » Mon May 25, 2015 10:09 pm

I would like the gpx file, Dave.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

taugust

Post by taugust » Mon May 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Will anyone be bringing a gas grill?
Tim
KG6WFV

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

This repeater covers the Fresno area and should be able to help anyone traveling to the Sanger meeting location. It may also work for some of the trail up to the camp.

Fresno Repeater - 146.94 - 100hz. I believe that it uses a standard offset, but am checking.
DaveK
K6DTK

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Tue May 26, 2015 8:21 pm

I haven't been following the thread recently. Have telescope, will travel.

Tim, by grill do you mean the thing with a large flat solid cooking surface (griddle) or the thing with a wire grate? I have a large griddle that I could bring although I wasn't planning on it unless our meal plans call for it.

I have something planned for dinner that you probably haven't had on the trail before if it's OK with Phil. Let's just say it goes well with wine, especially white wine.

I'll plan on meeting everyone in Sanger. Please be patient on the way to camp. I only have 59HP at the real wheels. I'll be bringing an extra 15 gal of gas.

I have an array of LED lights but no double mantel Coleman lantern (I like the quiet). I have a single mantel Coleman and propane lanterns but I haven't used them in years.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

taugust

Post by taugust » Tue May 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Bruce, I was looking for the grate, not the griddle.
Tim
KG6WFV

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Since Dave and Larry have been there before and since Bruce and I have Breakfast on Sunday morning....what time do you or are we planning on leaving Sunday so I can plan Breakfast and still get packed. Just asking?

Will 8 gallons of extra gas be OK in the FJ? I know Dave said 2 5 gal or 3 5 gal if you have a small tank.

Phil
Phil T.
W6PET

“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild."

John Muir

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue May 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Regarding departure time on Sunday, unless there is an objection, I planned on a leisurely breakfast with a flexible departure time. Since you guys are doing breakfast, I figured that we can accommodate you. I suspect that we will be doing lunch on the road regardless of our departure time. Will this work for everyone?

How much gas to bring is usually a tricky thing. Since it is always better to bring more than you will really need, I tend to plan for the worst. The FJ tank is smallish and two cans may be on the light side. If you can manage it, I would bring one more can.

On lanterns, i favor the Coleman mantle style lanterns for their great light output, but no need to buy one if you don't have one. LEDs will work as long as they have decent light output.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”