Camping Trip - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NF - June 11-14, 2015

Plan your runs here
taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Re: Camping Trip - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NF - June 11-14, 2

Post by taugust » Mon May 11, 2015 6:43 pm

What are the planned departure times and location? Will we caravan or make our own way there?
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon May 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Tim

Generally, we will be departing early on Thursday morning. If we can caravan, I think that would be ideal, but we have some that may be coming from such diverse locations, that it may not work. Unless you are familiar with the area, it may be a little difficult to find our spot, so I will arrange for a meeting location and time and we will caravan from there. Otherwise, depending on the navigation program that you are using, I can supply the route and location. We have one slot open for the trip and I wanted to wait about another week so that plans can be made to accommodate everyone.

Stay tuned and start preparing your best recipes!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

taugust

Post by taugust » Mon May 11, 2015 9:20 pm

I am home today and tomorrow, then out until the trip. My plan is to leave my loaded truck at work, then go from there. I should be in Fontana by Wed. evening. I have to pack and load everything now. Is your plan to do community meals, or one person do a meal each night?
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon May 11, 2015 9:58 pm

I figured that we would use the method that has worked so well before - using teams of two. This helps to make meal prep and clean up a whole lot easier. As I see it we have a total of 9 meals - 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners. Each team will have one of each. Tentatively, I saw the following pairings:

Tim and DaveK
Larry and Ben
Bruce and Phil

If anyone has thoughts on these pairings, (good or bad), let me know. Nothing is set in stone!!!

Since you will be out when we start planning, we will need to contact you to finalize things. Can you PM me with your cell and/or email while you are away. If you have access to Skype, that would be best.

NOTES:

1 We may have access to an IRLP node which will allow us to connect to the Net on Thursday evening. Still working on this.

2. From an equipment standpoint, even though the trip is a month away, I would prepare for cold temps at night (high 20s / low 30s).

3. If campfires are allowed, I will obtain the necessary permit.

4. Bring your ham gear (especially HF). Larry,, can you bring your generator?
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon May 11, 2015 11:35 pm

As of today, Ben will be flying in from Kuwait to join us for this trip (and Summerfest, too) - so assuming this works out, I'm good with the meal pairing.

I'll be bringing ham radio gear and my Honda 2000I generator (and maybe some snow gear LOL).

I am assuming at least Dave and I will be driving up together on Thursday morning - Ben will likely drive with us if he goes, too. (Dave leaves out of Torrance, I'm out of Valencia, and Ben is out of Burbank for reference).

It would be great if we can utilize the IRLP node to participate in the OAUSA net on Thursday night (lightning permitting :o )
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:07 pm

I'll be leaving from Anaheim...so I can head up the 57 and meet Tim in San Dimas or if Tim wants we can meet in Fontana and cut across Pearblossom Hwy and by pass LA. Meeting the rest somewhere around route 99. I'm open.

Will we need additional gas or will a tank be ok?
Phil T.
W6PET

“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild."

John Muir

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat May 16, 2015 7:14 am

Voodoo Blue 57 wrote:I'll be leaving from Anaheim...so I can head up the 57 and meet Tim in San Dimas or if Tim wants we can meet in Fontana and cut across Pearblossom Hwy and by pass LA. Meeting the rest somewhere around route 99. I'm open.

Will we need additional gas or will a tank be ok?
Phil

Getting around in the National Forest or the National Park requires a lot of travel, much of which is either in low 4WD or up and down the mountains. Gas stations are not plentiful and you should bring at least 2 Jerry cans (better with 3). You will also need to bring all the water you will need for personal use, cooking and cleaning.

Next week we will get details out to everyone on meeting locations, meal assignments and the other details for the trip.
DaveK
K6DTK

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Dave,

Thanks!

Looking forward to the details!
Phil T.
W6PET

“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild."

John Muir

taugust

Post by taugust » Sun May 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Yes, looking forward to the details. Since I had to pack and load last week, I won't have everything I need. I only have one jerry can. Water won't be a problem.
Tim
KG6WFV

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon May 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Here are the details:

1. Since getting to camp can be difficult if you have not been there before, I suggest that we meet at a location which is on the way for all of us. The location is the intersection of Highway 180 (also called E Kings Canyon Road) and South Academy Ave. Academy Avenue leads north out of the town of Sanger. Let’s meet at 9:00AM

2. We can all fuel up in Sanger

3. I am checking out repeaters that serve the area surrounding Sanger and will post information, if I can identify one. In the meantime, lets all use simplex 145.570 for trail and highway use. We need to exchange cell phone numbers. I will circulate an email so we can do the exchange.

3. Fire restrictions are in full swing in this area, and when I checked a week ago, only liquid fuel stoves are allowed - no campfires and no charcoal cooking. If you were planning on using a Dutch Oven or a campfire for cooking, you will need to find an alternate method. Since it has been raining for the last week or so, this may change. I will post information a few days before departure. Solar ovens are obviously OK.

4. Night time temps have been in the 40s and daytime temps in the 60s. To be safe, prepare for colder temps at night. As of last week, there was no snow, or so said the ranger!

5. If you have HF gear, bring it. At 8500 feet, the propagation should be excellent.

6. Everyone should bring one lantern, preferably a Coleman double mantle type.

7. Bruce: can you bring your telescope?

8. Meal assignments:

Thursday
lunch - team 1
dinner- team 2

Friday
breakfast - team 3
lunch - team 2
dinner - team 1

Saturday
breakfast - team 2
lunch - team3
diner - team 3

Sunday
breakfast - team 1

9. Meal teams

Team 1 - Bruce and Phil
Team 2 - Larry and ?
Team 3 - Tim and Dave

10. I will have at least 6 bottles of wine. For those who enjoy a glass before or during dinner, you might want to bring another bottle or 3. Also, bring your own wine glass.

11. Be sure and bring everything your camp will require. There are no facilities of any kind. There are a couple of us who will be bringing hot water showers and if you wish to partake, bring enough water for your personal and cooking needs as well as for showering (about 3 gallons per shower).

12. Gasoline stations are scarce and not conveniently located. I recommend that you bring 3 Jerry cans of extra fuel and more if your rig has a small tank.

13. No cell service at camp or in the general area. APRS is available at camp and for those who know how, you can send regular email messages through APRS. I will have Airmail up and running during the trip and you can send and receive regular email, if you wish. You will need to contact me if you want to use this program.

There's probably more, but this is all I could remember now. Post any questions or comments.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”