Monache Meadows 6/26-28/15

Plan your runs here
DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Monache Meadows 6/26-28/15

Post by DennisDawg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:44 pm

A couple of us will be in Monache Meadows this weekend. Friday we’ll be at Chimney Peak and then move on to Monache Meadows on Saturday. It is a pretty loose trip . . . no time table . . . come as you are if you like.
I will have my HF stuff with me and shall set it up at some point in the day and try to send mail and all that. Most likely I will be on 20m PSK31 part of the time and phone the rest but I may jump on 40m at night. Radio play shall be limited due to fishing and goofing around. I do have Field Day stuff ready to go, so I may play that for a bit . . .

I have been up there a bunch of times but do not know wehre we shall camp. Over by the damn, radio doesn’t work so well . . . so we may shoot for out in the meadow if there is anything open. We're going to wing that as well.

Most of the time we should be on 146.565 simplex if anyone else rolls in and wants to say hello!

If not, hunt me down on 20m!
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Monache Meadows 6/26-28/15

Post by DaveK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Dennis

We will be in the Los Padres NF for the Field Day event this weekend. Our plans now are to have three stations working for the competition, 40, 20 and 15. We are holding out the possibility of doing 80m as well, but probably won't decide until Friday. I will keep your frequencies in mind and will try to reach you over the weekend. We are operating under our club call sign of K6OAU and our coordinates are:
34.81277 N, 119.10357 W
34° 48.766 N, 119° 06.214 W
Let us know your operating information for Field Day.

I will be running Airmail, and if you can send emails, you can reach me by using my Winlink address. I should get you on my white list before the weekend if we are going to be using this. You can PM me with your address and I will send you an email.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:33 am

I was in Monache 3 weeks ago, water level is low, but beautiful as always. Have a great trip
2006 Dodge Power Wagon
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... onBuilding

DennisDawg

Post by DennisDawg » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:48 pm

DaveK wrote: Let us know your operating information for Field Day.
I will be running Airmail, and if you can send emails, you can reach me by using my Winlink address. I should get you on my white list before the weekend if we are going to be using this. You can PM me with your address and I will send you an email.
On the ride up I will be on K6BB, Keller and then Randsburg repeaters until they fade away (for anyone else on the 395).

I am planning on centering my efforts Saturday on 20 meters (phone and digital). I will be operating as me, K6DOB . . . Not much of a plan . . .I do not have a frequency picked out for phone . . . just going to plop down in an open spot . . . I am going to wing it really. There may be thunderstorms . . . and that may shut me out. I will be on 40m later . . . I do not know what else I will play on.
I will turn my mighty dipole at you!

I hope to contact the club in Big Bear also, just to say hello.

I am not going for points, just for fun . . . but I will log everything and turn it in . . . if it all works out.

I will be on battery power . . . so, it will last as long as it lasts!
Crismateski wrote:I was in Monache 3 weeks ago, water level is low, but beautiful as always. Have a great trip
Yeah, the ranger said it was low. However, she said folks going above the damn (wier) were still getting good sized trout. I hope it is true as I am going to have to eat canned soup if I do not catch something I can eat!

Did you fish? Catch anything? With what?

It is always petty up there and a nice mellow kind of trip. The rain usually makes it prettier so even if I get locked out of radio, I can always enjoy the view . . . I shall have some wine to sip!
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:21 am

I got lazy this year and did not fish for anything beyond a good pair of trees to hang my hammock. Did not see anyone fishing this year. What fish that were visible in the water would all make a pretty solid fish stick. Might want to bring more than just soup.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... onBuilding

DennisDawg

Post by DennisDawg » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:44 am

That is bad news! I will go up above the weir and look around. If there is nothing to catch, then I will follow your example and take a nap!

Then play radio . . .

Then nap!

It might rain, then no radio play and another nap.

Side note: when I do camp with the truck, about 80% of the time if not more I just bring soup (with SkyFlakes) for dinner. I do not camp big usually, often just a bivy and simple fast stuff to eat.

I am bring stuff to go with fish though, just in case!!!!

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”