Trip Itinerary

Plan your runs here
traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Trip Itinerary

Post by traveltoad » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Trip itineraries have come up in a few of our Thursday evening nets, so I thought I would post a sample itinerary. This is from my last trip to Utah a few weeks ago. The format was stolen from a friend of mine, so I cannot take credit.

I send a trip itinerary to a combination of concerned family members, friends who are familiar with the planned activities (4x4, motorcycling, Mtn Biking, etc), and to others who are more familiar with the area being traveled.

This is by no means the one and only itinerary format. This is just what I use and I thought it may be helpful for others.

Maybe, after this is critiqued by the group, we can edit and leave it posted here as a template. When people go on trips they can copy/paste then modify it to the specific trip at hand.

Our trip to Utah will depart Thursday 29 Aug with a planned return of 7 Sept.

Expect email or phone contact by the end of Tuesday 9 Sept at the latest. If no contact is made by that time, please attempt to contact the emergency contacts and to coordinate contact with us via HAM radio or cell. If no contact can be made and no one has heard anything from us, please take the appropriate steps to find us.

On 2m we will be constantly monitoring 147.555. I will check my cell phone at least in the morning and in the evening of each day.

Our descriptions are as follows:

Vehicle: 2003 Silver Disco with roof rack with spare, pelican case, 2 red Wedco cans and 1 blue Wedco can.

Aaron
40, Caucasian, average height, average weight, brown hair, cell (xxx) xxx.xxxx

Gabrielle
40, Caucasian, average height, average weight, brown curly hair

Evan
3 ½, average height, average weight, blond hair, drool hanging from chin

Emergency Contacts:
Milton or Norma: 818.xxx.xxx wk; 818.xxx.xxx cell
Ethan: 818.xxx.xxxx cell

Our intended itinerary is as follows:

Thursday
Los Angeles to Calico Hwy15

Friday
Calico to Zion NP Hwy15 to Hwy9. We have reserved a campsite in Watchman Campground as a fallback but plan to look for camping to the North in Lava Point campground.

Saturday/Sunday
Plans are a little more open and will depend in large part on Evan. Our general direction will be towards Moab using secondary roads and maybe some trails.
Secondary Roads: Hwy9 to Hwy89 to Hwy 12 to Hwy24 to Hwy 70 at Green River then South on Hwy191 to Moab.
Possible trails: Dirt Roads connecting Glendale(Hwy89)to Cannonville (Hwy12)
Dirt Roads connecting Boulder(Hwy12) to Hwy95 approximately 10 miles north of the junction with Hwy276. We may camp along this leg in the Capital Reef NF.

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday
Dirt trails between Hwy211 (South of Moab)through Canyonlands NP/Beef Basin/Butler Wash to Mexican Hat (Hwy163)

Thursday
Drive to Grand Canyon North Rim on paved roads
We will check in at the North Rim Ranger station and obtain a backcountry camping permit. I will review North Rim travel plans with Ranger.

Friday/Saturday
We will make our way along the GC North Rim heading west. We should end up back on Hwy15 between Mesquite and St George either late Saturday or early Sunday

Sunday
Hwy 15 back to Los Angeles.

To me it is important to specify when the emergency contact list should be utilized and the process of help initiated. It is important for all to have the same time line to avoid any confusion and have help sent too early or too late. The traveling group also can plan around the stated time line. If you tell people not to start looking until Tuesday, you need to be prepared to survive through at the very least Wednesday (for me…I would plan into Friday).

The more complete your itinerary, the more quickly people will find you and the less time you will be in “survival mode”.

I list all vehicles and all participants (in the case above we were a solo vehicle). I include things that may stand out to a casual observer who knows nothing about cars. On this form I have listed a general description for each participant, usually I list the specific height and weight (when I have the information).

I list all modes of communication to which the traveling group will have access. I also list how often or when certain modes of communication will be monitored.

Travel routes that are unknown are the hardest to describe accurately. If you are doing the Mojave road it is easy to just say Mojave Road, however with unknown routes things may (and probably will) change. Maps can be wrong, trails can be much slower than anticipated or roads may be impassable. On these trips it may be more important to include someone who is familiar with the general area in the itinerary email chain.

Places where you know that you will check in are good to list (Ranger station) as they can quickly narrow a search to a specific segment of the whole trip allowing rescuers to concentrate their efforts.

We also have an unwritten rule that at least one person in the email chain replies to all so that you know it was received. When I get home I can reply to that email(s) and everyone knows I am back.

DON’T FORGET TO SEND AN EMAIL TO EVERYONE WHEN YOU GET HOME!

While this itinerary is more detailed, I feel it is important to do this for everything. Even for a quick bicycle ride, if my wife is not there to give my verbal plan I leave a note. I don’t leave a note that says “I am on a bike ride”, my note says: “8:35am I am on a Mtn Bike ride  Hub.” (I have road and Mtn bikes.)Because I do this regularly, I can leave a note in “shorthand” and it will be understood. My wife knows where this is and she knows about how long this normally takes me. She also knows that I carry my cell and my VX-7 tuned to 147.555 when I ride. She knows that if I don’t specify I am alone. But the shorthand has been discussed, not assumed.

A few moments to write a note could save your life.
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

sdnative

Re: Trip Itinerary

Post by sdnative » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:04 pm

traveltoad wrote:drool hanging from chin
Should be easy to find... :)

Seriously Aaron, this is good stuff. I do something similar even on my day trip out to AB. I know ahead of time where I plan to be, then print out a map, highlight the aprox route, and give it to one of my family members that cares. Another thing is that if your running late, but ok, and out of cell phone range, you can make contact with someone and have them call for you.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Good stuff Aaron. We should all practice this.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Good post. In sailing it's called a Float Plan, we not only leave a plan with a relative but keep one on board in case the boat is found without the occupants. :( This way the authorities have an idea where you came from and where you're heading. I recommend everyone do the same. In addition, if you're traveling with other rigs, give the drivers a copy as well. If you are in a bad accident, your buddies will appreciate having all your information at their fingertips.

A few things I noticed that were not on your list but are very important, especially if you are traveling to Canada or Mexico.

Medical Information:
Current medications
Current medical conditions
Past medical conditions you feel is important to list.
Food or Medication Allergies
Doctor:
Name & Number

Additional Vehicle Information:
Vin
Insurance Company (Mexican)
Phone Number (Mexican)[/LIST]
Policy Number
Image_Image_Image

traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Post by traveltoad » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:22 pm

For me... any allergy or medical information that you may feel is important should be discussed with the others (or at least one) in your travel group. It should also be kept on your person. I (personally) don't see the need on a trip report.

As to the VIN and Mexican insurance info... again, I don't see the importance for an itinerary.

To me the itinerary is to aid in my rescue if I don't get home (or whereever I am ending in that trip).

I agree that they are important parts of planning a trip and it is important information to have with you on your trip.
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:05 pm

traveltoad wrote:For me... any allergy or medical information that you may feel is important should be discussed with the others (or at least one) in your travel group. It should also be kept on your person. I (personally) don't see the need on a trip report.

As to the VIN and Mexican insurance info... again, I don't see the importance for an itinerary.

To me the itinerary is to aid in my rescue if I don't get home (or whereever I am ending in that trip).

I agree that they are important parts of planning a trip and it is important information to have with you on your trip.
My idea of a written travel plan is a document that can not only aid in ones rescue, but one than enables others within your group to facilitate your emergency aid and may help in the recovery of your vehicle in case of theft.

I didn't read anywhere in your first post that you suggest sharing medical information with your group. If you did I missed it? I still recommend writing it down and giving it to a travel buddy. I'm not going to remember 5 days into the trip that you're allergic to sulfas or penicillin, but that's me. :oops:

Let's hypothesize that your vehicle is stolen with the insurance policy in the vehicle. Would having the VIN, the insurance co. name, phone and policy with your travel buddy be helpful?

Either way you go, great post and thanks for the reminder. :D
Image_Image_Image

Return to “TRAIL RUN PLANNING”