Ft. Irwin to Mohave and back to the city

Past or present, share your outdoor adventure reports with us here. We want to read all about them. Share pictures, videos, etc.
big dave

Ft. Irwin to Mohave and back to the city

Post by big dave » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:18 pm

My brother is in the army, based in Ft. Benning, GA. His entire base was sent to Ft. Irwin, CA for desert training for a month back in July. I haven't seen him for 2 years, so he asked for 24 hour leave and it was granted at the end of July (cant remember exact date). I left my house at 5am and drove 120 miles to pick him up from the base, then drove 120 miles back home to hang out with family. The next morning i drove him 120 miles back to the base, and then went to check out some mines i saw from the road on Ft Irwin. I was kinda disappointed because i walked about a mile uphill in soft dirt and brush in 110*f heat. None of the mines went in very far, but there were some old cars sitting out there that i thought were interesting. I shot around for a while, and then walked a friggin mile back to the truck.

I got back on the 15 south and pulled off between Barstow and Victorville to check out some holes ive seen for years. I wasnt very disappointed, because i was able to drive up to them in air conditioning. None of them went in very far, except for one which i really wanted to save until i had friends with me so we could have fun checking it out.

After i checked out the desert, i drove on 3N21 dirt road through the Cajon Pass and checked out some trains and stuff. Theres some old burnt communities i didnt take pics of, but id like to go back and check them out.

'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Re: Ft. Irwin to Mohave and back to the city

Post by Fetus » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Sounds like a fun trip. There are more mines in the Stoddard Valley area just off the 15 near Victorville. There is one where it goes horizontal then drops vertical. I have found a few open vertical shafts out in the desert that are fenced off.

You should check out Burro Schmidt's Tunnel sometime. If you have kids they'll dig it. Just bring a flashlight.

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Fun stuff. I love exploring old mines. There's one in Jacumba that I still need to checkout and if I ever get another boat, there's a few right off the colorado river.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Looks like a fun excursion. It's good to see you posting again.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

big dave

Post by big dave » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:13 pm

Hey guys, long time no see. Im going back out to the desert as soon as it cools down and i replace the shocks, again. Ive been through 2 sets in 2 years :roll:
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

Return to “TRAIL RUN REPORTS”