November Mojave Road trip (and a few questions)

Past or present, share your outdoor adventure reports with us here. We want to read all about them. Share pictures, videos, etc.
Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

November Mojave Road trip (and a few questions)

Post by Chazz Layne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

It was very cool being able to hop on Keller for the net, and get a Soda Lake conditions report from Tom before we crossed. Yet again, amateur radio proves its value to us. The pictures are up from our recent trip over The Mojave Road with a small group from Expedition Portal. The Flickr set can be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chazzlayne ... 332098372/.

The trip log can be viewed at the following links:
The Mojave Road - Day 1
The Mojave Road - Day 2
The Mojave Road - Day 3
The Mojave Road - Day 4

...and here's the GPX tracks from the trip:
http://www.chazzlayne.com/x/20101102-mojave-road.gpx
http://www.chazzlayne.com/x/20101103-mojave-road.gpx
http://www.chazzlayne.com/x/20101104-mojave-road.gpx
http://www.chazzlayne.com/x/20101105-mojave-road.gpx

Also, a question for the Mojave Regulars (and anyone else, of course): How do you feel about a late January or early February OAUSA:TMR trip? I did some scouting while I was out there and ran across some perfectly secluded campsites for the size group we usually have. I was thinking make a 3-day weekend of it and run the 'Road backwards to make for an easy first day...
Chazz Laynedotcom

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: November Mojave Road trip (and a few questions)

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 pm

I think it would be a great idea, if the weather holds up...Jan / Feb brings serious chance of rain storms, which can make that trip less than fun....

My experience on the Mojave Trail is smaller groups are better; Because there is so much driving involved, the logistics of larger groups can be an issue, and detract from the experience...also, permits are required for large groups (check with Tom for specifics).

When you say run it backwards, do you mean from Afton Canyon to Laughlin ? I prefer the other way, only because after 3 days on the trail, I prefer 3 hour drive home as opposed to 5-1/2 hours...

But, I'm flexible :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Post by smslavin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Looks like you had a great trip. I'd be totally up for a trip in Jan/Feb. I've been wanting to do that trip for awhile.
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:39 am

cruiserlarry wrote:I think it would be a great idea, if the weather holds up...Jan / Feb brings serious chance of rain storms, which can make that trip less than fun....

My experience on the Mojave Trail is smaller groups are better; Because there is so much driving involved, the logistics of larger groups can be an issue, and detract from the experience...also, permits are required for large groups (check with Tom for specifics).

When you say run it backwards, do you mean from Afton Canyon to Laughlin ? I prefer the other way, only because after 3 days on the trail, I prefer 3 hour drive home as opposed to 5-1/2 hours...

But, I'm flexible :mrgreen:
Why not cut out out the two ends of the Road and stick to the more interesting mid-section that lies within the Preserve? Or, simply make it a Mojave Preserve run and spend time exploring all of it.
A couple of weeks ago, we went out and explored the areas east of Barnwell. This is in the old OX Ranch and Hart Mine areas. Getting to Castle Crags and areas further east required driving on an old raised railway bed that had some serious washouts on either side :shock:. We ended up out at the old Walking Box Ranch area in Nevada just short of Searchlight. For those not familiar the Walking Box Ranch, it was owned by famous silent film era "Flapper Girl" Clara Bow and her husband Rex Bell who was both a real cowboy and acted as one in silent films.
http://publiclands.unlv.edu/wbr/index.htm
We also visited some old favorite spots like Sagamore and Keystone Canyons. My point is...once you've done the Road...you've done the Road. But, there is tons more exploring to be done in that area. Although the Mojave Road (Old Government Road) has historic significance, I've found it to be no more significant than any other in the area as far as exploration is concerned. I probably run it 30 times a year in one mile to twenty mile stretches and I use it to connect between other roads that ultimately take me where I'm headed.
Last edited by xtatik on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Randy
K6ARW

jdholder

Post by jdholder » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:41 am

I've done the trip both ways and enjoyed it more East to West.

More than 5 trucks and you are supposed to have a permit. Last time I checked, a permit was $50 and allowed up to 15 trucks in a caravan. They didn't care how many people were in the trucks, only the number of trucks.

I've run the road in February and been snowed on. It can get bitterly cold and remember there will be wind!! However, it was very, very beautiful to run it with snow. Just go prepared and you are all good!

I'm in!!!! :)
Jon D. Holder

2003 Range Rover HSE - the plushmobile - 2" Computer Lift, PowerTank, Custom Rear Bumper with Spare Tire, Jerry Can, Ax, Shovel and Hi-Lift Mount, Sliders, Cobra, Hella 4000's - 2007 AT Chaser Trailer

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:16 am

jdholder wrote:I've run the road in February and been snowed on. It can get bitterly cold and remember there will be wind!! However, it was very, very beautiful to run it with snow. Just go prepared and you are all good!

I'm in!!!! :)
True, the snow could hit at anytime from now thru March. As the Norwegians say: "There is no bad weather...just bad clothes". Pack accordingly and you'll be fine. The snow definitely changes the landscape, and it can be stunning. Back in 04' or 05'(can't remember which year)...prior to the the Hackberry Complex fire. I spent a night huddled in the the back of my truck at the once beautiful and fully-wooded Mid Hills Campground. Before passing out, I can remember listening to the hissing sound of snow falling and piling up on the truck roof. Waking up the next morning to a foot and more of "fresh pow" in the middle of the Mojave was a trip! I'll never forget how loaded up the Pinyons and Junipers were with snow...it looked surreal. I've only visited Mid Hills once since the fire, and probably won't again in my lifetime. Comparing these memories with the current outcome of piss-poor management, I just get too angry. Thankfully, there are still areas out there that are left unmolested by the Park Service. :lol:
Randy
K6ARW

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:27 am

It can be cold and windy at times, but January and February are great months to explore the Mojave Preserve. Here's a trip report from when I went in January of 2009: http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=1045

I agree with what others here have stated. Once you've done the road, branch out a bit more next time and explore more of the preserve. I have a bunch of stuff I've researched that I'd like to see when I'm able to head out there again.

With a group of over seven vehicles you'll require a $50 permit. There's really no limit on how many rigs or people one can have with it, you just have to give them a number. I've heard of 30+ vehicle groups. You also have to tell them where exactly you'll be camping each night. This is why prefer small groups out there. When I go out camping, wheeling, and exploring its to get away from it all. I don't like the idea of having to inform the "authorities" of my business out there.

Oh BTW...
Chazz Layne wrote:Image
Photo of the month right there! ^^^ :D
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:23 pm

xtatik wrote:Why not cut out out the two ends of the Road and stick to the more interesting mid-section that lies within the Preserve? Or, simply make it a Mojave Preserve run and spend time exploring all of it.
Good point, I like this idea better. On this trip I realized I've never really explored the extreme-west end (Afton, Devil's Playground, Soda Lake areas). It sounds like winter can be a bad time for that though, so 2 separate MP trips may be the answer. With that in mind...
jdholder wrote:I've run the road in February and been snowed on. It can get bitterly cold and remember there will be wind!! However, it was very, very beautiful to run it with snow. Just go prepared and you are all good!
That's exactly why I was thinking Jan/Feb. I love weather, and would love to see the Preserve in snow. :mrgreen:
BorregoWrangler wrote:I have a bunch of stuff I've researched that I'd like to see when I'm able to head out there again.
I'd love to see that list, do you think you'd be able to make a Jan/Feb trip (I don't want to pull you from the new baby)? Thanks for the link to the trip report. Frozen springs and a light dusting of snow would be perfect. Agreed on the 7-vehicle limit, I have no interest in alerting FEDGOD to my every move.

So, a Preserve trip it is. I have some sites in mind, but I'd love to hear suggestions first. How's Nipton for a starting point?
Chazz Laynedotcom

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:That's exactly why I was thinking Jan/Feb. I love weather, and would love to see the Preserve in snow.

Most times I've camped in Caruthers Canyon, it's snowed on us.
Chazz Layne wrote:So, a Preserve trip it is. I have some sites in mind, but I'd love to hear suggestions first. How's Nipton for a starting point?
Nipton is a perfect starting point.

I'll research some places.
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

BigDave
Call Sign: KI6LYZ

Post by BigDave » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:03 am

If it's Feb I'll be in. Our son is due in Jan and I won't be allowed out of the county. LOL
Dave

KI6LYZ

"Shootin' trucks and snortin' dust"

Return to “TRAIL RUN REPORTS”