Eastern Sierras/Inyo Mountains

Past or present, share your outdoor adventure reports with us here. We want to read all about them. Share pictures, videos, etc.
shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Eastern Sierras/Inyo Mountains

Post by shuly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 pm

I posted this over on T120 but figured I'd share this with the OAUSA folks. This trip might be a good 'unofficial' run to do sometime with a smaller group 10-12 rigs with a 2:1 ratio of 4wd to 2wd. Anyway...here is the report from our trip in May.

=====================================
We took a trip in May to the Eastern Sierras and the Inyo Mountains. I finished the color photos but haven't had a chance to upload them until now. Jon has the track files and I'll let him post those when he has time. We left on Friday and made the first nights camp in the Alabama Hills out of Lone Pine.

Piper and Toby at Camp

More views of Friday night Camp

Jon making his mobile HF Contacts

The next morning we had breakfast burritos and headed off to gas up before heading into the Inyo Mountain Range. We headed up Mazourka Canyon out of Independence and stopped at Whiteside Mine. Been there several times. I didn't take many pictures that morning due to a mishap with a yellow lab (Yoshi) that decided to go swimming in a flooded mine shaft. Jon was a total hero that day. We started with rope but of course she went swimming again and we had to cut the rope. The dog owes me a new rope ... :rotflmao: I never thought I would use my tow strap and shackle on a dog. Of course the dog was fine and wagging her tail like it was no big deal once she was out. After everything was done we all thought we should have had pictures...but that wasn't on anyone's mind at the time.

After Yoshi got a bath and after things mellowed a bit we headed off into Santa Rita Flat...
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

shuly

Re: Eastern Sierras/Inyo Mountains

Post by shuly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Santa Rita Flat - That is Kathryn's 2wd Sequoia with us

Yoshi (now very clean) and Kaida

Views of the Sierras and Alabama Hills from Santa Rita Flat

Toby looking like he is about to cause trouble...

A couple more views of Santa Rita Flat

[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

shuly

Post by shuly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm

We made it to Badger Flat. I tried to get there in Feb but the snow was way too deep. We were close too! Anyway this time we made it and Jon went off exploring a small side trail that turned out to lead to a nice camp site.

I spy Jon!

Another view

Jon meeting up with us after checking out the possible campsite.

We headed to Mazourka Peak (which is festooned with antennas) to have lunch before deciding where to make camp.

A couple more shots of the view from Mazourka Peak

shuly

Post by shuly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Instead of camping in the Pinons we went back to where Jon had explored. Turns out it was a really great spot. Not too windy either. The only rain in the weather report was Sunday night and by then we should have been heading home. Of course it never seems to fail when I plan a trip...a sudden storm was coming over the mountains Saturday night. Luckily the Inyos are in the rain shadow of the Sierras and we only had a few sprinkles. The sky did put on quite a show with lightening and thunder.

We parked and started to setup camp...

After Jon setup camp he went hiking to the top of one of the lower peaks. I took a few shots but this one seemed to turn out the best.

As the sunset started the lighting was really pretty. We would get patches of bright 'golden hour' sunlight with strong shadows.

Another view...you can see the virga. Virga is rain that doesn't hit the ground.

Jon headed back down the mountain

The dogs lit as part of the clouds let some sunlight in.

shuly

Post by shuly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Another view of the trucks at Saturday Nights Camp (Oh yeah they are ALL V8s and Limited!)

The evening light was really great that night. The big lighted areas are the major cities and the car lights are from traffic along the 395.

Since I had the gear all setup I played with some night shots. The dogs had lighted beacons so they are easy to see in the dark. Of course that makes for ghost dog images.

Toby looks extra evil in this shot...

The next morning we headed over the pass. There was some slipping in the 2wd ... but with a little bit of work even the 2wd Sequoia made it.

shuly

Post by shuly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Last set of photos...

My photoset wouldn't be complete w/o some panos ... so I did take a few on Sunday.
======
Looks like the Panos get chopped on this forum :evil:
You can go to over to T120 if you want to see them
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20901

======

Badger Flat

Then we headed off to Harkless Flat. We did our good samaritan trail duty on Sunday. We hit a bit of a delay as a tree had fallen on the trail. I winched the tree off the trail and Jon chopped off some of the branches that were still sticking out onto the path. We were able to winch the tree out of the way and keep two other small new growth trees in tact. Of course I was busy winching instead of taking pictures.

We made it to an old mining camp with more views of the Owens Valley and had lunch.

Looking North

Toby exploring

Jon looking at the view...

Looking South

Piper is tired...

Toby laying in the middle of the road...

Kaida and the trouble maker Yoshi

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Awesome pics! What camera setup do you use? Polarizing filter?

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Looks like a great getaway. Tons of stuff to do/see on either side of 395...and fairly quick to get to from the LA area.
Randy
K6ARW

shuly

Post by shuly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 pm

I shoot with two cameras. Both Nikon D80s. One I exclusively use for color. My second camera is setup for BWIR. I do use a polarizer off and on...depends on the situation.

Randy...it is an easy get away from LA. I wouldn't mind leading a trail run for a weekend with a small group of trucks 10-12 sometime. Though I will never lead a 'formal' trip. Too many headaches...I am going to summerfest and I am amazed at the ridiculousness of the whole checking drivers licenses, insurance, vehicle inspections....on and on...way too much BS. What ever happened to personal responsibility... :roll: Next thing organized trips are going to require is a signed permission slip from everyone's parents.

Ok enough ranting...I have to get back to reading the Extra book...lots of material to finish before the exam session. Oh yeah and my General showed up in the FCC database today. Woo hoo!

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:38 pm

shuly wrote:Randy...it is an easy get away from LA. I wouldn't mind leading a trail run for a weekend with a small group of trucks 10-12 sometime. Though I will never lead a 'formal' trip. Too many headaches...I am going to summerfest and I am amazed at the ridiculousness of the whole checking drivers licenses, insurance, vehicle inspections....on and on...way too much BS. What ever happened to personal responsibility... :roll: Next thing organized trips are going to require is a signed permission slip from everyone's parents.
I agree, I've made a few trips up into the Bristlecones, Salt Tram, Cerro Gordo, etc. There are also some nice areas across the hwy west of Bishop. I'm also not one for formal trips, and most of my trips are solo ventures, or at best, I'll have one other vehicle along. But then, most of my trips have specific goals and involve seldom mentioned or visited destinations that wouldn't keep a group amused for long.
shuly wrote: I have to get back to reading the Extra book...lots of material to finish before the exam session. Oh yeah and my General showed up in the FCC database today. Woo hoo!
Congrats on getting a General license and good luck on the Extra. Come on up to the Field Day event and we'll work on turning you into a Ham. I'm hoping to have stations up on Friday night and we'll play DX and maybe put some contacts in your log.
Randy
K6ARW

Return to “TRAIL RUN REPORTS”