Eastern Sierras/Inyo Mountains

Past or present, share your outdoor adventure reports with us here. We want to read all about them. Share pictures, videos, etc.
sdnative

Re: Eastern Sierras/Inyo Mountains

Post by sdnative » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:23 pm

shuly wrote:I do use filters, but generally the only filters I use are UV, Polarizer, ND...I don't generally use any superspecial filters for in camera work. Not with digital anyway. One thing to remember is that with digital vs film, with digital CCDs most images look flat, not sharp, and require some amount of post work. Traditional chemistry, film/paper, would give you those bright colors and extra saturation...think Kodachrome or Fuji Velvia. It depends on the image, but I have workflow that I run through for all of my images. The color images take 30-60 minutes per image on average, ignoring any panos or other custom things that I feel need to be done. When I am shooting BWIR (used to shoot Kodak HIE film), I used a 25A or 87 for film work and for digital work I have a modified camera. The hot mirror in front of the CCD was swapped out with glass that acts as an 87 filter. BWIR images take me a significant time to get the post work done. As with my color stuff, I like them to match my film work, but that requires 1-2 hours per image or more. BWIR require typically several layers of curves adjustments and almost all require some D&B. The only difference for most of the images is that because they are digital I don't have to waste 3-5 shots bracketing film and spend hours in the darkroom running test strips over the whole image. I guess I need to do some post on the BWIR images from the trip and post them up at some point in the future.

Really it is just years of darkroom practice and nailing down a digital workflow that I am happy with. No I won't give out my workflow :lol:
Wow, props to you for the dedication. It seems to be rewarding and the end result is fantastic! Image

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Roughly how far a drive is it from L.A. (considering traffic, etc...) ?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Great pics sir. Did i read correctly that you have 25-50 hours of prep work on these 50 shots?
The color images take 30-60 minutes per image on average, ignoring any panos or other custom things that I feel need to be done.
Yikes...and I thought spending two hours to post my pics was over the top...Kudos to you. :D
Image_Image_Image

shuly
Call Sign: KJ6NAT

Post by shuly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:58 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:Roughly how far a drive is it from L.A. (considering traffic, etc...) ?
About 3-4 hours depending on where you leave from. If you are leaving from LA it is about 3.5-4 hours to Independence. Still good for a weekend run as you can leave LA around 6am and still make it to the turn off by 10am. If you figure BB is 2.5-3 hours away it isn't too much farther.
gon2srf wrote:Great pics sir. Did i read correctly that you have 25-50 hours of prep work on these 50 shots?
Yikes...and I thought spending two hours to post my pics was over the top...Kudos to you. :D
Yeah that is about right. I started doing the post work on the 24th. Worked quite a bit on them and finished up on Fri the 3rd of June. For those that don't like post...remember it is still faster than spending time in a wet darkroom and there is a pay off 8-) I suppose I should yank the BWIR stuff out of the camera and throw one or two of them up...but those take even longer.
[b]2007 Limited V8 (Nautical Blue) KJ6NAT[/b]| Front: Downey Coilovers | Rear: OME 896 (w/NitroSport) | Total Chaos UCAs | All Pro Rear LCAs | DO Hybrid Rock Rails | Skids : BudBuilt | Bullbar : Shrockworks | Winch : Warn 9.5XP Amsteel Line | Lights : PIAA 580s | Tires : 275/70 Duratrac on 18" Stock Wheels | BajaRack | Audio : VaisTech Video iPOD Kit | Yaesu 350AR w/ Diamond NR770HB

SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Post by SP Jon M3 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:29 pm

I didn't take as many pictures as Shuly did (or nearly as good... :oops:) , but here are the few that I did take. And they are just cell phone pics.

This was a road that ran up to the left of Whiteside Mine. From here you can get to a few of the vertical shafts. The road continues on up the hill, but I didn't continue as it looked to get a bit rougher and I was solo at this point.

Did a little exploratory run, and found this camp site. This was the site we stayed at for night 2.

The repeaters at the top of Mazourka Peak.

Went for a hike to the top of the hill near the camp site. You can see the camp site just down and left of middle. In the background are the Sierras and Owens Valley.

At the top was Mexican Hat Mine.

And to the left of camp you can see Badger Flat

The next day as we were on the road, 36E15 headed to Papoose Flat, I saw this little guy.. :shock:

And as we continued we found a tree that fell directly across the road.

Shuly drove around and then winched the tree out of the way.

It was still partially rooted in the ground before Shuly pulled it to the side.

Heading through Harkless Flat.

Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:18 am

More excellent pics, the couple looking down on camp are certainly spectacular. Thank you for posting them.
Image_Image_Image

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:41 am

Very impressive pics Jon. The color in them is spectacular.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “TRAIL RUN REPORTS”