Carrizo Mountain & Indian Hill: December 13th-15th, 2013

Past or present, share your outdoor adventure reports with us here. We want to read all about them. Share pictures, videos, etc.
BorregoWrangler

Carrizo Mountain & Indian Hill: December 13th-15th, 2013

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:53 am

Carrizo Mountain is a hidden gem in our local Southern California desert. The narrow shelf roads up the mountain are only open six months out of the year, from July 1st to December 31st. This provides big horn sheep uninterrupted access into this mountainous habitat. Realistically though, there are only three months out of the year were we humans can recreate on Carrizo Mountain during cooler weather, from October to December.

With an elevation of 2,408 feet, Carrizo Mountain is the highest point along the Coyote Mountains; a small, rocky range situated at the transition between the higher Peninsular ranges of San Diego County, and the lower Imperial Valley and Salton Basin. The mountains are located in far-southern California not too far from the Mexican border. The range and summit lies within Imperial County, abutting the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

Check out the link for more photos and the complete trip report: Carrizo Mountain & Indian Hill
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Carrizo Mountain & Indian Hill: December 13th-15th, 2013

Post by DaveK » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:04 pm

John

That looks like the perfect pre-Christmas trip with the family. Some of our favorite memories of camping with the family were in winter conditions in the desert. It has so much to offer.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:47 am

Great trip report, John...the desert in winter is always a good time :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 pm

DaveK wrote:John

That looks like the perfect pre-Christmas trip with the family. Some of our favorite memories of camping with the family were in winter conditions in the desert. It has so much to offer.
cruiserlarry wrote:Great trip report, John...the desert in winter is always a good time :D
Thanks guys! It sure was fun. I'll be out exploring the desert again in January around Joshua Tree National Park .
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Return to “TRAIL RUN REPORTS”