Hike to Jamul Kiln Ruins: January 5th, 2014

Past or present, share your outdoor adventure reports with us here. We want to read all about them. Share pictures, videos, etc.
BorregoWrangler

Hike to Jamul Kiln Ruins: January 5th, 2014

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 pm

IMG_20140105_173019.jpg
IMG_20140105_173019.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2465 times
"A little more than twenty miles southeast of San Diego, within the boundaries of the Mexican land grant Rancho Jamul, a curious and substantial masonry structure stands isolated at the foot of a low hill. The structure houses two octagonal kilns, a brick smokestack rising more than thirty feet above them. Limestone and clay from a deposit on the hill behind were once burned in these kilns by the Jamul Portland Cement Manufacturing Company, an enterprise created during the boom of the 1880s." -San Diego Historical Society

Click the link here for mt full trip report: Jamul Kiln Ruins
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Hike to Jamul Kiln Ruins: January 5th, 2014

Post by DaveK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 pm

John

When you said that the kiln was on the land of the "Mexican land grant Rancho Jamul", does that mean that it is now on private property? Can you enter the building?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

BorregoWrangler

Re: Hike to Jamul Kiln Ruins: January 5th, 2014

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:04 pm

DaveK wrote:John

When you said that the kiln was on the land of the "Mexican land grant Rancho Jamul", does that mean that it is now on private property? Can you enter the building?
I think that's just what it was called back in the day. I believe its on BLM land now. We ran into a ranger just before heading out and he didn't say anything about it being private property. It is all part of an ecological reserve. There are old faded signs around the structure that say, unsafe structure stay out.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Return to “TRAIL RUN REPORTS”