4th Annual SoCal Desert Rendezvous

Past or present, share your outdoor adventure reports with us here. We want to read all about them. Share pictures, videos, etc.
BorregoWrangler

4th Annual SoCal Desert Rendezvous

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:33 pm

March 21-23, 2014 marked the 4th annual SoCal Desert Rendezvous, organized and hosted by the crew at American Adventurist. This was our second time attending this event. A few weeks before the event, the super secret location is reveled with a set of GPS coordinates- Google Maps cut and paste: 33.599581,-115.536937
This is a very laid back, free event which features desert cleanups, trail runs, a potluck, raffle, dutch oven competition, steel shoot, swap meet, and of course a big campfire for all to enjoy. There were even some OAUSA folks there to host some amateur radio testing. Its great getting together with fellow adventurers with a variety of awesome vehicles, along with great food & drink at a remote desert location.

Click here for my photos and write up.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

BigDave
Call Sign: KI6LYZ

Re: 4th Annual SoCal Desert Rendezvous

Post by BigDave » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:44 pm

It was a good trip for Travis and I as well. This was also the maiden voyage of my new roof top tent that I had picked up just the week before. I very much enjoyed not being in a tent on the ground, but I need to figure out a bit more padding comfort in the hip region. Travis got to play with a bunch of other kids that were out with their parents also.
Saturday morning we went for a trail run with a bunch of other Land Cruisers to the Salton Sea. We Stopped and had lunch on the beach at Bombay Beach. While we were there I was flagged down and asked if I could pull a guy out of the sand near the beach. Sure, why not? I follow the guy over to where there is another guy with a stuck F250 4x4 Powerstroke Diesel with at least a 6in lift! He had several pieces of wood sticking out of the sand in front of the tires and going nowhere fast. I got out my strap and shackles, hooked him up, and had him out in a matter of minuets. There is a video floating around somewhere and once I get access to it I'll add a link here. The rest of the run was uneventful. The potluck/Dutch Oven Competition Sat night was awesome.
Sunday morning the group set up a steel plate shoot nearby and several people brought out some of their firearms to play with. I had a new toy to play with, so that was fun fun. I was also to stretch the legs on one of my other rifles and hit the plate 8/10 times at approx 400 yards.
Here is a picture someone else took of me
image.jpg
image.jpg (640.6 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2020 times
Dave

KI6LYZ

"Shootin' trucks and snortin' dust"

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 am

Sounds like it was a great time - I hope to be able to make it next year ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 pm

From all accounts, the Desert Rendezvous was a hit. We made our way down to the campsite on Sunday and ran an Amateur Radio testing session. American Adventurist now has three new Technicians.
Testing in the Desert.JPG
Testing in the Desert.JPG (133.77 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “TRAIL RUN REPORTS”