Colorado River Trip, November 2014

Past or present, share your outdoor adventure reports with us here. We want to read all about them. Share pictures, videos, etc.
BorregoWrangler

Colorado River Trip, November 2014

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:39 am

Colorado River Trip | November 2014

My family and I spent the first weekend in November at our favorite place along the Colorado River, near Yuma, Arizona. I didn't do any hunting or fishing during this trip, just hung out and relaxed with family. I've got so many good memories here... looking forward to making many more. (Above photo: Boating along the river with Picacho Peak in the distance.)

We spent some time exploring the beautiful scenery, the rich history of the lower Colorado river, and the wildlife found in and near the Imperial National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge, a natural flyway to thousands of migratory birds, is also home to a variety of wildlife, including bighorn sheep, burros, and deer. Along the riverbanks there is an abundance of history such as Indian petroglyphs dating back thousands of years, pioneer cabins abandoned a century ago, steamboat landings, and old mining towns.

Coming across some donkeys along the road on our way in Friday night.

Sunrise on Ferguson Lake.

Loading the little ones into my sister's and brother-in-law's jet boat Saturday morning for a trip upriver to the Eureka Mine and cabin.

The Eureka or "Riverview" Mine is located northwest of Yuma Arizona on the Colorado River about three miles downstream from California's Picacho State Recreation Area campground. Aptly named, the operation was just a few hundred yards from the river.

The mine began operation around 1875 and over the years had a production of 150 tons of ore containing Lead, Zinc, Silver and Gold. The mine workings include a shaft which appears to have recently been "bat grated", and several open cuts. Down the hillside from the shaft, are a wooden bin, a concrete foundation that may have supported a small stamp mill and a couple of cement pads.

The major attraction at the site is an old mine cabin that may date back to the mine's earliest days. It is a one-room stone building with a brush thatched roof. There are a variety of metallic relics around the cabin including several car parts.

Looking North upriver above the cabin.

Our little man, enjoying his first river trip!

Baby girl, all tuckered out from playing in the water.

View of the Castle Dome Mountains in the distance from Martinez Lake on the Arizona side of the river.

The cabin we stay at on one of the backwater lakes along the Colorado River.

We replaced some of the old furniture in the lounge/game room.

Steak and bacon-wrapped poppers were on the menu for dinner.

My parent's boat with some of their friends loaded into it.

My brother-in-law, Terry had to jump in and clear the jet after it sucked up some weeds in the shallow backwaters of Ferguson Lake.

Its always a good time with this beautiful lady at my side.

All too soon, it was time to pack up and head home. We'll be back in a few weeks, over the long Thanksgiving weekend.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Colorado River Trip, November 2014

Post by DaveK » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:17 pm

John

Thanks for the great trip report and great pics.

I, too, have been trying to squeeze in as much lake time as I can. Fortunately, the temps have been pretty warm, even recently.

You have a couple of pictures that I would like to use as the OAUSA banner, with your permission.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

BorregoWrangler

Re: Colorado River Trip, November 2014

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:12 pm

DaveK wrote:John

Thanks for the great trip report and great pics.

I, too, have been trying to squeeze in as much lake time as I can. Fortunately, the temps have been pretty warm, even recently.

You have a couple of pictures that I would like to use as the OAUSA banner, with your permission.
You're welcome, Dave.

Feel free to use any photos you want. :D
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Return to “TRAIL RUN REPORTS”