Portion of Hwy 173 is closing permanently

Keep informed on outdoor issues including land use, regulatory issues, park closures/changes, etc.
FishPOET
Call Sign: KI6YXR

Portion of Hwy 173 is closing permanently

Post by FishPOET » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:42 am

http://rimoftheworld.net/

Unpaved Section of Highway 173 Closing Next Month
By Michael P. Neufeld

Lake Arrowhead, CA - It's now official. CalTrans will be permanently closing the unpaved portion of Highway 173 between Lake Arrowhead and Hesperia next month. The press release issued by the transportation agency didn't indicate an exact date but stated the closure would take place "in early March 2011."

The closure of the unpaved portion of Highway 173 between Lake Arrowhead and Hesperia will become reality in March when CalTrans permanently closes the roadway.

District 8 Director Dr. Raymond Wolfe has told community meetings in a host of mountain communities that safety is the primary reason for the closure.

"The roadway is narrow, unpaved, and in many areas does not have two travel lanes for the safe passage of opposing vehicles," Dr. Wolfe informed the town hall sessions.

CalTrans District 8 Director Dr. Raymond Wolfe announced during a series of community meetings in Big Bear, Running Springs and Crestline his agency had decided to close the unpaved section of Highway 173 between Lake Arrowhead and Hesperia.

Numerous residents in the area voiced their concern about closing the five-mile section of roadway because the route had been used in the past as an escape route during wildfires. The route remains the only unpaved section of state highway in California in which the travel way is comprised of dirt.
Closure Area

CalTrans will close Highway 173 from west of the original closure at Willow Creek Road, downhill to east of Arrowhead Lake Road, just east of Hesperia.

A CalTrans press release indicates the decision to close the roadway was made by transportation officials late last year based on safety concerns for the motoring public.
Doug N1DUG
2004 WJ
1996 ZJ locked on 33's, Claytons LAs
1999 Ford F250 V10 4x4 19.5s, 1988 Lance ES3000
Life Member CA4WD, CORVA, BRC
over 2000 hours volunteered with the SBNFA
CASSP
TreadLightly! Trainer
ForestAid Reforestation Supervisor

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Re: Portion of Hwy 173 is closing permanently

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:08 am

Those Cal-Trans sissies would have a heart attack on some of our "highways". :lol:

They aught to just turn it over to the USFS so it can continue to be used as a forestry road.
Chazz Laynedotcom

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:Those Cal-Trans sissies would have a heart attack on some of our "highways". :lol:

They aught to just turn it over to the USFS so it can continue to be used as a forestry road.
I'd guess that will happen if they actually "de-commission" that part of the highway, so that it can be taken out of state service....at least I hope so.. :cry:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 pm

If this is State property, I think it would be a terrible mistake to turn it over to the Feds. They own enough of the State of California already. There has to be a way to keep the road open, just as there are many other state owned dirt roads that are open today.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:33 pm

One winter season will make parts of this road impossible for passenger cars.
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:06 pm

DaveK wrote:If this is State property, I think it would be a terrible mistake to turn it over to the Feds. They own enough of the State of California already. There has to be a way to keep the road open, just as there are many other state owned dirt roads that are open today.
I think the state would keep it open...if it were minimally two lanes wide, and paved.
Given that traffic is minimal by comparison, I don't think they're going to spend the money to widen and pave it.
I would hope that it at least gets assumed by the Forest Circus. It could provide access in and out during fires.
Randy
K6ARW

dzJeepchic

Post by dzJeepchic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:40 pm

That's a drag. When I lived in Berdoo as a teenager I didn't have a 4x4 & neither did my friends, so we'd drive all the way around to Hesperia and hike to deep creek. Now that I'm a grown up with my own Jeep I had hopes of driving down from Arrowhead when we visit the San Bernardino Mountains. Go figure.
[color=#400040][i][b]Diane[/b][/i][/color]
[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_izn9zMxjKpw/TLsO6TTyS7I/AAAAAAAAGv8/ZUYO0nav4cM/s144/DSCN4482.JPG[/img]

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am

So will this close the section between the Pilot Rock Trail and Willow Creek Road or is this section passed all of that?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “TRAIL CONDITIONS, LEGISLATION, REGULATORY WATCH AND CONSERVATION”