Fire near Idyllwild, CA

Keep informed on outdoor issues including land use, regulatory issues, park closures/changes, etc.
BorregoWrangler

Fire near Idyllwild, CA

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Dang, I hope some of my favorite campsites and hiking trails don't go up in smoke...
The Riverside County Sheriff in cooperation with Idyllwild Fire Protection District has issued an evacuation notice for the Idyllwild and Fern Valley area. This does not include Mountain Center and Poppet Flats. This evacuation notice also includes the San Jacinto State Park Wilderness, Forest Service Wilderness and Forest Service Campgrounds. An Evacuation Warning was issued for the community of Pine Cove just before noon today. The Trails End Community at the very top of Morris Ranch Road is under an Evacuation Notice.
http://inciweb.org/incident/3516/
Attachments
Fire.JPG
Fire.JPG (29.06 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Fire near Idyllwild, CA

Post by DaveK » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:42 pm

We did a three day Field Day trip several years ago in Idyllwild and it was a terrific spot. One of these days we need to scope out that area to see if there are some suitable campsites for a large group.

This sure seems to be the summer of fires. It looks like this one may be getting under control. I didn't see a cause???
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:04 pm

DaveK wrote:This sure seems to be the summer of fires. It looks like this one may be getting under control. I didn't see a cause???
The last I heard reported was that is was caused by human action, but the specifics were not disclosed... :evil:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:06 pm

They say the fire originated near the highway so that does make it suspicious. It looks like most of the evacuation orders have been lifted but now those areas have the potential for flash flooding within the recently burnt areas which could result in mudslides and debris flows. Same thing goes for the areas burnt here in the Laguna Mountains.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Return to “TRAIL CONDITIONS, LEGISLATION, REGULATORY WATCH AND CONSERVATION”