CA - Sandstone Canyon closed - Help!! Anza Borrego

Keep informed on outdoor issues including land use, regulatory issues, park closures/changes, etc.
Tank

CA - Sandstone Canyon closed - Help!! Anza Borrego

Post by Tank » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:53 pm

This past weekend (10-25-08) I did some camping in the Fish Creek area of Anza Borrego Desert State Park. This is a beautiful wash/slot canyon with many opportunities for camping. Hiking, climbing and wheeling. I know many of you, especially So-Cal have at one time or another wheeled in Fish creek or one of its tributaries.
On this trip we wanted to do some climbing and hiking in some of the off shoots of Sandstone Canyon, a tributary of the main Fish Creek wash. This long narrow canyon has always been very enticing to wheelers due to its beauty and technical nature.
Anyway, I drove several miles of wash to get to the canyon mouth only to find that it had just been closed. We could tell that the stakes had only been installed that morning or the day before because there were fresh tire tracks on both sides of the signs and stakes. We ended up hiking the canyon anyway, but didn’t get as far as we would have liked because the canyon is a bit longer that a comfortable day hike. I have driven much farther back several times before, and it is a really enjoyable trail.

Ok, so what I’m wondering. Does anybody know if there is anything that can be done to reverse these kinds of things? I really want to go to the head ranger station and ask them why this canyon was closed to vehicles. Its not like there was any vegetation in there (or was ever any). Maybe because it is in a State Park, they have the sovereign right to close areas at will for no reason.
I was thinking that maybe CORVA might be some help. They might be wrapped up in bigger issues though.
How bout if we as a group bombard the ranger station with requests for a reopening and no more trail closers.
This is one reason why I get so absolutely pissed when I see 4wheelers not treading lightly, acting foolishly or not respecting the land. They are a big reason stuff gets closed.

Here are a couple pics just so you can see what it really is.

These are the worst signs ever. :(
:loser:

Just a couple from last time I was back in Sandstone Canyon.

'81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35" Yoko's and tons of other goodies. NEW: 4.7 gear T-case!

gon2srf

Re: CA - Sandstone Canyon closed - Help!! Anza Borrego

Post by gon2srf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm calling Nancy tomorrow to hear there story. I imagine it was closed due to trail damage and complaints from hikers. I experienced some pretty bad stink eye early this year from two hikers who just didn't think I should be there. I was as friendly and polite as possible but they just weren't happy campers. We need to be diplomatic about our inquiries and see what can be done.

Scott
Image_Image_Image

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:46 pm

When we went through that area last weekend, there was a larger than usual amount of debris that had fallen from the steep walls. Perhaps there was some fault activity, and they closed it as a precaution. I really love this area, and was devastated to hear about the closure, so yes I think we should do whatever we can

Tank

Post by Tank » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:49 pm

Who's Nancy? Is she at park HQ's.

I bet your right about the reasons. I know there are several rangers very unfriendly to 4wheelers. If you get a couple hikers who kick up a stink about nasty wheelers, I'm sure that would be reason for them to close a trail or area. I'm always polite and friendly to other users, whether hiking, camping or other drivers. But some wheelers can be down right nasty, noisy and rude.
'81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35" Yoko's and tons of other goodies. NEW: 4.7 gear T-case!

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:08 pm

sdnative wrote:When we went through that area last weekend, there was a larger than usual amount of debris that had fallen from the steep walls. Perhaps there was some fault activity, and they closed it as a precaution. I really love this area, and was devastated to hear about the closure, so yes I think we should do whatever we can
I think this is likely close to the truth. I don't think this trail was closed out a dislike for off-roaders...The rangers do not have the authority to close trails on their own, unless life or safety is involved. Over the last year, in my 4 trips to AB, the trails at Sandstone Canyon have continued to accumulate more fallen debris. Whether due to erosion, or fault activity, it is likely those shear walls pose a serious thread to anyone or anything below them when they fracture. I'm hoping this will be a precautionary, temporary measure, to monitor what is happening in that area.

Either way, I think it would be better to await actual information about the closure, then to start placing blame on folks who might not have anything to do with it...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Tank

Post by Tank » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Well put. Thank you.

I plan on trying to contact someone at the ranger station to see if I can get any clear info on this. If anyone else wants to do this as well please go ahead. I think it would be good for more people to show genuine interest.

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:08 pm

Well keep us posted. I'm gonna try to get a hold of someone as well to hear what the stroy is. But if indeed the trail was closed due to blockage or debris maybe we can work someting out with the park to get a workparty together to clear it up. I'm sure that they don't have any sort of adopt-a-trail program, but if that could somehow be done, Sandstone Canyon would be high up on the list for me.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

raYGunn

Post by raYGunn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:34 pm

BorregoWrangler wrote:Well keep us posted. I'm gonna try to get a hold of someone as well to hear what the stroy is. But if indeed the trail was closed due to blockage or debris maybe we can work someting out with the park to get a workparty together to clear it up. I'm sure that they don't have any sort of adopt-a-trail program, but if that could somehow be done, Sandstone Canyon would be high up on the list for me.
Other state parks have adopt-a-trail programs are we sure this one doesn't? I'd be up for it except in summer. :?
97 LX450

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:40 pm

raYGunn wrote:
BorregoWrangler wrote:Well keep us posted. I'm gonna try to get a hold of someone as well to hear what the stroy is. But if indeed the trail was closed due to blockage or debris maybe we can work someting out with the park to get a workparty together to clear it up. I'm sure that they don't have any sort of adopt-a-trail program, but if that could somehow be done, Sandstone Canyon would be high up on the list for me.
Other state parks have adopt-a-trail programs are we sure this one doesn't? I'd be up for it except in summer. :?
Positive. We had attempted to start a program last year and received no response from Park HQ. I must admit the effort was half hearted at best though.
Image_Image_Image

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:24 am

cruiserlarry wrote:Whether due to erosion, or fault activity, it is likely those shear walls pose a serious thread to anyone or anything below them when they fracture. I'm hoping this will be a precautionary, temporary measure, to monitor what is happening in that area.
If they're concerned about danger from rockfall, I'd rather be in my FJ when the walls come down than hiking through the canyon. I agree though that we need to wait to see what the reasoning is - hopefully Scott can get some good info from the Ranger.
Dave
N6DCF

Return to “TRAIL CONDITIONS, LEGISLATION, REGULATORY WATCH AND CONSERVATION”