2014 Dove Opener

General discussion of firearms, ammunition, hunting and related topics
BorregoWrangler

2014 Dove Opener

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 pm

So far its been a tough hunt for me. I haven't see as many birds as I have in past seasons. I wonder if the year-round season on the eurasian doves has anything to do with it? Maybe i need to scout out a few different areas around Imperial Valley. Anyway, here are a few photos of my hunt with Mitch this year.

Bacon wrapped dove poppers!
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: 2014 Dove Opener

Post by DaveK » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:56 pm

John

I was unable to make the opener this year. Sounds like it may have been a good year to miss.

The Eurasian Ring Neck populations have really skyrocketed. I have even noticed them at home. I haven't noticed any difference in taste, yet - have you?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

BorregoWrangler

Re: 2014 Dove Opener

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:31 pm

DaveK wrote:John

I was unable to make the opener this year. Sounds like it may have been a good year to miss.

The Eurasian Ring Neck populations have really skyrocketed. I have even noticed them at home. I haven't noticed any difference in taste, yet - have you?
I only shot one Eurasian dove. I didn't bother to compare it to the others. I am glad to see that they are noticeably different looking than the mourning and white winged doves. Larger and much lighter in coloring.

I'll be heading out for the quail opener here October 18th, but with the lack of rain we've had I'm not expecting to find a lot of birds. I'll be out in the valley again for the second dove opener on November 8th.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Return to “FIREARMS”