Handgun Class

General discussion of firearms, ammunition, hunting and related topics
KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

Re: Handgun Class

Post by KK6GFF » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi Brentbba,

The S&W M&P is a great gun. The LAPD loves it and they want to make it the default gun in the next few years. They love it because of the trigger. If you're thinking about getting that one I'd hurry up because this August 16th is the last day they'll legally be sold in California to the public.

I'm more accurate with Glocks, but that depends on the person/hand. Glock makes SF (slim frame) versions of most of their guns which make it fit better to most of the people. The Gen 4 versions (which are not legal in CA) are all SF.

Damn, California must have great things otherwise I'd have flown to another state! :lol:

I hear International Tactical has the best lessons: http://internationaltactical.com
Roger WZ6B
2014 JKUR

ssc

Post by ssc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Glock SF stands for Short Frame, not slim frame. It is a bit less reach for the trigger finger due to the back strap. The frame is not slimmer.

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:30 am

Interesting on the S&W M&P. Not going to rush to a decision. If it's not available, it's not available.

brentbba

Post by brentbba » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Buddy of mine is an NRA instructor and FFL. Says the Smith & Wessons are on the list for 2015, not this year?????

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:39 pm

A big consideration I have when looking at the 9mm, .40 and .45 choice is magazine capacity and the reason to pick one over the other.

Most semis come with high capacity magazine capability in other states. However, for legal carry in CA you can only have a 10 rounder. So, if you can bump up in caliber power/size and carry the max at 10, I would highly consider the .40 and .45 as winning the magazine capacity selection. You will find fewer .45 pistols that carry the full 10 rounds and the classic and still viable workhorse, the 1911, is usually an 8 round max with flush magazine fit. Sure you can get bigger magazines but in a single stack mag they will protrude from the handle of the pistol and are not practical for most situations. Comfort, familiarity and propose is a big consideration when you finally come to the point of shelling out the cash.

Look at how much the rounds cost to shoot. Are you going to shoot a lot, so much so that a couple of boxes/month are going to be too expensive? The 9 is the least expensive in most cases and it goes up from their in pretty much the order of .40 then .45 being most expensive. If you are looking for a self-defense pistol in urban terrain, the semis seem to be the best choice. If you are looking for personnel defense in an outdoor setting I think the .357 and .44 are both very good choices in a revolver (for recoil purposes you can shoot the .38 and .44 specials if you don't need full power all the time). Both semis and revolvers can overlap a purpose driven purchase but there are good reasons to go with a semi over a revolver and vice versa. You have chosen wisely in your approach to this topic and I think there is a good amount of advice given on this topic. Good going and as said earlier, keep us informed of your progress.
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

brentbba

Post by brentbba » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 am

CatalanBull wrote:Hi Brentbba,

The S&W M&P is a great gun. The LAPD loves it and they want to make it the default gun in the next few years. They love it because of the trigger. If you're thinking about getting that one I'd hurry up because this August 16th is the last day they'll legally be sold in California to the public.
Stopped by Turners in Fountain Valley Monday. You were correct on the S&W40 with the 10 round mag. Dropped off the approved list Saturday. I spent some time going thru that DOJ list and trying to find the SKU on S&W's site and for the life of me counldn't figure out that damn list! Only thing left CA approved is the M&P Sheild in that frame/format and it's only a 6 or 7 round magazine. S&W does have the Glock knockoff here in CA too.

Family transfer from out of state would be the only option for the S&W 40 now.

Next step is to go with a buddy to a local range that rents guns and try the Glock 19 and 23 to see about the recoil of the 9mm vs 40. Same frame gun there...or the S&W M&P Sheild.

brentbba

Post by brentbba » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:58 pm

My old thread with an update.

I ended up purchasing the S&W Shield 9mm a couple of years ago and have really liked it. I've been over to Frontsite twice for their 4 day defensive handgun class and have really learned a lot!

My local range - On Target, in response to the wussies in the NFL taking a knee offered free lane time DURING NFL games this past season and I took good advantage of that offer! Last time I went, I rented their Glock 19 as that'd been my 2nd choice back at the very beginning. I was shooting better with it after a couple of magazines than my Shield...so...my brand new Glock 19 gets out of California jail this afternoon for me to go pick it up! The 10 round magazines don't hurt either over the 8 rounds the Shield has.

Now...how do I tell the wife!? :?

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Hey Brent

The Glock M19 is a fine pistol. It has all the qualities that you will need in a carry gun. Glock has built a solid reputation, and it's no secret why. Their record of reliability and dependability is almost legendary. They have withstood the test of time, despite getting off to a rocky start with claims of being invisible to x-ray and being plain ugly. The x-ray stuff was pure horse crap. On the ugly claim, well..............in their own way they are attractive, in a sort of a tough and rugged way. The fact of the matter is that they are really tough and rugged.

Their place as one of the premier carry guns has been eroded somewhat by a couple of other Glock models that are thinner, smaller and lighter, but that does not take away from the M19s suitability for carry. One of the M19s strengths is its ability to carry more than 10 rounds, but only if you live in a state governed by common sense. Congrats on your purchase.

You tell your wife??????
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

brentbba

Post by brentbba » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 pm

She'll see a charge from Turner's on the CC bill and ask what it's for of course! :lol:

Return to “FIREARMS”