Walther P22 and Kimber Pro Carry II

General discussion of firearms, ammunition, hunting and related topics
big dave

Walther P22 and Kimber Pro Carry II

Post by big dave » Sat May 09, 2009 12:45 pm

My lady and i went to the outdoor store today, and the only pistol they had left in the 40 foot long display case was a Walther P22. Not wanting to waste a trip, we checked it out and were amazed how well the gun felt and sat in our hands. It is officially the most comfortable handgun Ive ever held. The only bad thing, which is a big "bad thing", is that its .22lr. Me being a believer that handguns should be for law enforcement, and civilian self defense, i see no point in a .22 handgun. So for those of you who know your Walther handguns, does the Walther P99 feel the same as the P22? It would be great if someone knew the info im looking for. I cant find a P99 anywhere around here, and id like to get one in 9mm.

After the outdoor store, we drove down the street to a pawn shop and checked out their case. They had a ton of handguns, but outrageous prices. There were lots of Taurus's, Colt's, Beretta's, etc. We held the majority of the 9mm and .45acp pistols. The one that i really fell in love with was the Kimber Pro Carry II. The way it fit in my hand, instead of my hand fitting around it, was AWESOME. I like the vertical distance of the slide from my hand. There is no way that the slide will pop back and hit the extra skin between my thumb and index finger. I would buy the Pro Carry II right now if it were a little less expensive. I do see the value in $900 though. I want this pistol, this is THE pistol Ive been searching for in my quest for a handgun.

Side note on the Kimber. I would need a gunsmith to file down the sharp lower part of the grip where it digs into my lower palm. That's an easy fix that wouldn't decrease the value of the gun if a GOOD gunsmith does it for me. The 1911's all dig into the lower palm of my hand.

This is the Walther P22 in the same color we checked out.

The P99 my lady and I are learning about.

The bad boy Kimber i want for my personal outdoor recreation pistol.

ANY INFO/SUGGESTIONS/FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED!
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Re: Walther P22 and Kimber Pro Carry II

Post by BlueFJ » Sat May 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Me likey the Kimber. Reminds me of my Springfield 1911.
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

Nadir_E
Call Sign: KI6YXP

Post by Nadir_E » Mon May 11, 2009 5:02 pm

The P22 and the P99 are *close* but not exactly the same feel in your hand due to the noticeably heavier weight and larger frame/grip on the P99. I strongly suspect you'll like the P99 if you liked the way the P22 felt (and I agree - it's a well-designed pistol). The other nice feature of the P22 is it's remarkably small - about the size of your open hand. A good "teaching gun" or plinker.

-Nadir
-Nadir - sounds like "ladder" KN6ELF

big dave

Post by big dave » Sat May 16, 2009 12:18 am

Nadir_E wrote:The P22 and the P99 are *close* but not exactly the same feel in your hand due to the noticeably heavier weight and larger frame/grip on the P99. I strongly suspect you'll like the P99 if you liked the way the P22 felt (and I agree - it's a well-designed pistol). The other nice feature of the P22 is it's remarkably small - about the size of your open hand. A good "teaching gun" or plinker.

-Nadir
Cool!

I dont see what training value the 22 has, because a 9mm isnt much of a brute itself :lol:
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

Nadir_E
Call Sign: KI6YXP

Post by Nadir_E » Wed May 20, 2009 7:33 am

I see what you mean, but for the young or the fairer sex, the lower recoil and the lesser blast of a .22 makes it a good first step in the learn-to-shoot process compared to most "full sized" calibers. Plus, particularly with today's prices, shooting a .22 is always cheaper than anything else! :) Plinking, while often derided as a waste of ammo, can be a good non-stressful way to teach marksmanship and reinforce basics (front sight, squeeze, grip, etc.).

Besides, it's not like you can have too many guns, right?? :lol:
-Nadir - sounds like "ladder" KN6ELF

hawkeye
Call Sign: hawkeye

Post by hawkeye » Wed May 20, 2009 9:40 am

I love both of those guns, but I cant afford a Kimber. I have the p99 and I realy love it. It fits perfeclty in my hand. and you can break it down in 3seconds. You may also want to look at the S&W M&P. It also fits verry nicely in the hand and is less$.

Woodman

Post by Woodman » Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 pm

big dave wrote:My lady and i went to the outdoor store today, and the only pistol they had left in the 40 foot long display case was a Walther P22. Not wanting to waste a trip, we checked it out and were amazed how well the gun felt and sat in our hands. It is officially the most comfortable handgun Ive ever held. The only bad thing, which is a big "bad thing", is that its .22lr. Me being a believer that handguns should be for law enforcement, and civilian self defense, i see no point in a .22 handgun. So for those of you who know your Walther handguns, does the Walther P99 feel the same as the P22? It would be great if someone knew the info im looking for. I cant find a P99 anywhere around here, and id like to get one in 9mm.

After the outdoor store, we drove down the street to a pawn shop and checked out their case. They had a ton of handguns, but outrageous prices. There were lots of Taurus's, Colt's, Beretta's, etc. We held the majority of the 9mm and .45acp pistols. The one that i really fell in love with was the Kimber Pro Carry II. The way it fit in my hand, instead of my hand fitting around it, was AWESOME. I like the vertical distance of the slide from my hand. There is no way that the slide will pop back and hit the extra skin between my thumb and index finger. I would buy the Pro Carry II right now if it were a little less expensive. I do see the value in $900 though. I want this pistol, this is THE pistol Ive been searching for in my quest for a handgun.

Side note on the Kimber. I would need a gunsmith to file down the sharp lower part of the grip where it digs into my lower palm. That's an easy fix that wouldn't decrease the value of the gun if a GOOD gunsmith does it for me. The 1911's all dig into the lower palm of my hand.

This is the Walther P22 in the same color we checked out.

The P99 my lady and I are learning about.

The bad boy Kimber i want for my personal outdoor recreation pistol.

ANY INFO/SUGGESTIONS/FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED!
I like the design very cool... good choice.
[color=#4C4646][u]In a war weapons are really important like guns, knifes or [/u][/color][url=http://www.weapons-universe.com/Brass_Knuckles_Information.shtml][color=#4C4646][u]brass knuckles[/u][/color][/url][color=#4C4646][u], but not the decisive one; it is man and not materials that counts.[/u][/color]

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Tue May 03, 2011 11:52 am

I also own a Walther P99 (compact, in .40). Ergonomically speaking, it is my favorite handgun. I agree, if you liked the P22 you'll probably love the P99.

Note: unlike the P22, the P99 has no safety. This is a plus IMO.
Chazz Laynedotcom

ssc

Post by ssc » Tue May 03, 2011 3:54 pm

I have no experience with the P99. However, I have had the PPK--PPK/s. The main comment I have it that I absolutely agree with Chazz about the lack of the ridiculous ass-backwards safety being a good thing. I have gotten rid of all the guns that had this upside down safety lever. I have spoken to reps at the shot show's over the years as to why they had them and never got a good answer. For some time, they came on most S&W auto's, beretta's, walthers, taurus etc. I always found them to be problematic.

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

Return to “FIREARMS”