Preferred Bullet, 45ACP

General discussion of firearms, ammunition, hunting and related topics
ssc

Preferred Bullet, 45ACP

Post by ssc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:18 am

During the last 30 days, I have been asked, on over ten different occasions, what bullet I recommend for the 45ACP. I am no expert, but do study this area of terminal ballistics. I read the results of the testing from the LEO agencies. These are put on by Win, ATK, etc. I read and correspond with those experts who do independent testing and try to get info from OIS. I still have contacts in LEO and some run the ranges for these dept's and get info on what is working and failures--though, as I get older, my buddy's are retiring ;). I also do my own informal testing. What I have found over the years is that the 45 had some issues with hard barrier penetration, and the hollowpoints clogged and they didn't expand. Over the last 10-15 years, the ammo companies have been been addressing this issue and most of todays bullets are designed with the thought that they will defeat barriers and still expand and penetrate. One of the main tests is to shoot the bullets through 4plys of denin into ballistic gel. They look to see if the bullet clogs and fails to penetrate/overpenetrate. Often the bullet will clog with cloth and fail to expand and then overpenetrate. These tests, developed by the FBI prefers 12 inches of penetration in bare gel and after barriers. It is the position that this will ensure that the bullet will be able to penetrate to the vitals.

I have carried the 45, but prefer a different caliber due to the penetration on certain barriers. However, with the recent developments, there are bullets that I do prefer for the 45 and carry in my 45. I prefer bonded bullets and homogeneous bullets. There are a few non bonded bullets I do like, such as the XTP for hunting. Usually, I can duplicate the findings of the test results from the LEO and labs in my tests. Sometimes, I can't, but this is how I make my decisions on what bullet gives me a warm feeling. Once, I have a few bullets that meet the FBI test standards and meet my testing, then I test them in "MY GUN" for reliability, accuracy, recoil impulse, splits etc. The load I carry in my 45 is the barnes all copper bullet. It is loaded by corbon as the DPX. There are a few other companies loading them as well. It is the 185 gr +P. All the different "camps" in the ballistic community seem to agree on this bullet. It is penetrating and expanding in most all barrier situations and does not clog. Since it is all-copper there is no issue with the jacket separating and it seems to retain 100% of its weight. Since, sometimes this site deletes long posts, I will post and then continue.

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

ssc

Re: Preferred Bullet, 45ACP

Post by ssc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:02 am

The other load I like and have carried is the Speer 230 gr golddot. I do prefer the DPX, but have the golddot as my backup carry bullet. It performs well and I have no issues with it. Another round that has been around for a bit is the Federal HST. It has received great test results. Great expansion and defeats barriers. When I asked a buddy about this load--who is in a position to know about these things--he said he wouldn't carry it- and told me why. So, I being the let me see for myself idiot, I tested some loads. I tested the speer 230 gr GD, corbon 185 DPX and the fed hst 230 +P. I also tested some 10mm loads. I had the usual perfect results with the GD and the DPX. The HST was terrible. Maybe I got a bad lot, or ???, but they didn't perform anything like the tests I have seen and read. Seems they may have had some QC issues or something as I do not believe the other tests were falsified. I have read about some issues with the HST some years ago. Hence, I will not carry them. My testing was to use a pork shank, with two layers of denin and backed by some Trolgar ballistic material to catch the bullets. I shot meat, not bone to compare. I was taking pictures. The first is the HST. I will put a caption on the photos. I tried a couple more of the HST and one failed to penetrate 8 inches with a bit of deformation. The shank was 8.5 inches and all the other bullets were stopped with the backstop. The expansion for the DPX was .822, HST was .450, GD was .686, the best HST was .542.

Handguns are poor stoppers, but first they need to be able to penetrate to vitals in both man and beast. With that in mind, the next best thing is to make a bigger hole. With the DPX, I feel a bit better with the 45 for 2 and 4 legged issues while on the trail. Though, I would never choose to take a 45 for critters-rather a good 10mm or better yet, 44mag--or larger, 454, I think this DPX load is a very good load in the 45. It seems to put aside some of my fears of shallow penetration and certain barrier issues I have had with the 45 in the past. Yes, I know--I have a bit too much time on my hands today.

Cheers, Steve
9J4G3750.JPG
230 HST+P clogged-no expansion
9J4G3750.JPG (182.71 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
9J4G3754.JPG
Corbon DPX as it strikes
9J4G3754.JPG (268.14 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
9J4G3755.JPG
DPX next
9J4G3755.JPG (292.39 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
9J4G3763.JPG
DPX
9J4G3763.JPG (192.86 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
9J4G3770.JPG
Golddot Strike
9J4G3770.JPG (263.22 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
9J4G3778.JPG
Golddot
9J4G3778.JPG (288.38 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:35 am

You have too much time on your hands :lol:

Great writeup! I put some of the DPX on my Christmas list so hopefully I'll be testing it out in the new year. How much do you practice with the real thing vs. FMJ? It seems you should practice some with the actual carry ammo but it is $$$$.

ssc

Post by ssc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Eric,
Yes it is important to practice with your carry load. First one has to ensure that the load is reliable in their weapon. Then work on accuracy and recoil control. Get the recoil impulse worked out and splits as well as shooting weak hand and strong hand, plus shooting from different positions. Everyone is different, but I think the minimum to get this done is probably 200 rounds. It isn't cheap, but neither is the life you save. Generally it isn't that hard to find practice ammo that is close to the characteristics of your carry ammo. I usually will shoot my carry ammo at least every other month and use practice ammo/reloads for all other shooting/competitions. It is not unusual for me to shoot a match all with carry ammo once every 6 months. Also, with reloading, I can mimic my carry loads to a great extent.

Happy Holidays, Steve

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.

You didn't tell the wife you were using the holiday ham for these tests did you? :? :lol:

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Great write-up Steve. Do you have the same kind of data on .40 cal?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

ssc

Post by ssc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Ollie,
I have done some testing for the 40. Since it is not a caliber I carry, my tests are limited. I can direct you to testing by various depts if interested. Atk/speer/federal and winchester conduct testing in conjuction with depts. They have the officers shoot and use their loads, so as not to bring "special" rounds. They use the FBI standards for testing and properly calibrate the ballistic gel. There are also independent labs/scientist who do the same thing. If I was to carry a 40, I would load it with 180gr golddots or a loading using the barnes all copper bullet. Corbon uses the barnes in the 140gr. Of course it would have to be reliable in the gun as a condition precedent. There are other well thought of loads for the 40, however these are the loads I prefer due to my testing and research, plus they are widely available.

Good to see you again,

Cheers, Steve

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks for the info Steve. Any links or references you can share would be great.

Work has been a bear. It's good to be able to pull away for a bit and try to get involved here again.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

ssc

Post by ssc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Return to “FIREARMS”