Pressure Cooker "Chicken en Adobo"

Discuss recipes and cooking methods you use during your adventures or ask questions about food prep and techniques.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Pressure Cooker "Chicken en Adobo"

Post by DaveK » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:03 pm

A recent article about outback cooking caught my attention. It involved a type of meal preparation that I would never have associated with camping, let alone remote wilderness camping - pressure cookers. Growing up, we had a pressure cooker - a gigantic thing that looked like the helmet for a deep sea diver. Strange thing though, we never used it. In my profession there was always the odd story about one blowing up. So I never gave it much thought.

What caught my attention more than anything else was the incredible speed that pressure cookers can manage in cooking a meal and also the ease with which a meal can be prepared. The one thing that I did not count on was the way that the pressure, while cooking, brings out and deepens the flavors of food and the seasonings used.

Just a quick note: today's PCs are a very different tool than the PCs of the past. They have multiple safety features making them very cook friendly.

Before I ever would bring it out on a trip, I had to give it a try. I used only the things that I would take with me on a trip (stove, table, utensils etc) and I settled on the recipe in the article - Chicken en Adobe. Adobe is apparently a Philippine dish of marinated meat or fish seasoned with garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and spice. Bottom line - the pressure cooker is now firmly ensconced in the Zarges as a permanent part of my gear.

The meal was terrific, simple, and quick.

Recipe = Chicken, soy sauce, garlic, chipotle peppers, olive oil, onions, bay leaf, and white wine vinegar. Cooking time = 13 minutes.

The ingredients.
IMG_0079 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0079 (Medium).JPG (68 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
The cooker, steaming away
IMG_0088 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0088 (Medium).JPG (78.19 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
The finished product.
IMG_0091 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0091 (Medium).JPG (65.47 KiB) Viewed 6771 times

With thanks to Roseann Hansen.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Pressure Cooker "Chicken en Adobo"

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Sure, just when I thought I was done thinking about food for the night, you post up another amazing dish and get my stomach all "a-flutter"... :lol:

I guess, as a lawyer, you're good at dealing with stuff under pressure.... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 am

What is old is now new again. I remember when I was very young, my mom using the huge pot and lid, and the chuh..chuh..chuh.. of the steam escaping as it cooked. I think she mainly did roasts in it.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:48 am

My mom used the pressure cooker a lot when I was young, too. I was always fascinated by the rhythm of the pressure relief valve at the top when the cooker was at operating pressure...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 am

Yep, brings back memories of my mom's pressure cooker too!
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:25 am

Same here, fond memories of roasts and stews. It may sound strange, but you could actually eat the bones from the roast when it was done. Not bad tasting at all and no waste. I know eweeeeeeee. :lol:

Another nice write up Dave, thanks!
Image_Image_Image

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:59 pm

gon2srf wrote:Same here, fond memories of roasts and stews. It may sound strange, but you could actually eat the bones from the roast when it was done. Not bad tasting at all and no waste. I know eweeeeeeee. :lol:

What did your recipe call it - the Jeffrey Dahlmer stew ???
Bet you washed it down with a "hand shake"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

W6LPB / WPOK492

snowby4

Post by snowby4 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm sorry, I can't help my self. I like goose. How can you tell when your goose is cooked. :lol:
If you don't know where your going, any road will get you there.

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:25 pm

snowby4 wrote:I'm sorry, I can't help my self. I like goose. How can you tell when your goose is cooked. :lol:
Yep, nothing like a good goose every now and then! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:29 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
gon2srf wrote:Same here, fond memories of roasts and stews. It may sound strange, but you could actually eat the bones from the roast when it was done. Not bad tasting at all and no waste. I know eweeeeeeee. :lol:

What did your recipe call it - the Jeffrey Dahlmer stew ???
Bet you washed it down with a "hand shake"... :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image_Image_Image

Return to “COOKING”