Ducth Oven Peach Cobbler

Discuss recipes and cooking methods you use during your adventures or ask questions about food prep and techniques.
taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Re: Ducth Oven Peach Cobbler

Post by taugust » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Tom,

I tried this recipe today. It worked out very well and everyone loved it at a party I went to. I had the heat right at the beginning, but it faded. I should have added more coals to replenish about 20 minutes in. I had 6 charcoal briquets under the DO, and about 16 on top. It seemed to slow down about halfway through but I didn't have coals ready. I got some more (about 6) and continued, but the total time ended up being about 1 hour. I browned up nice and golden and didn't burn. Next time I will have more coals ready about 20 minutes in to finish.

I agree that the extra small can of peaches is needed. I didn't use it, but should have.

Thanks, Tom
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:36 pm

taugust wrote:Tom,

I tried this recipe today. It worked out very well and everyone loved it at a party I went to. I had the heat right at the beginning, but it faded. I should have added more coals to replenish about 20 minutes in. I had 6 charcoal briquets under the DO, and about 16 on top. It seemed to slow down about halfway through but I didn't have coals ready. I got some more (about 6) and continued, but the total time ended up being about 1 hour. I browned up nice and golden and didn't burn. Next time I will have more coals ready about 20 minutes in to finish.

I agree that the extra small can of peaches is needed. I didn't use it, but should have.

Thanks, Tom

Check out the net this week. Tom is in charge and the subject is DO cooking, with an emphasis on his cobbler. We are doing a live remote at my house where we will be firing up the campfire and having Tom do his cobbler as we do the net. Our man on the street reporters will be surveying the crowd for feedback on how it tastes.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:59 pm

DaveK wrote:
taugust wrote:Tom,

Thanks, Tom

Check out the net this week. Tom is in charge and the subject is DO cooking, with an emphasis on his cobbler. We are doing a live remote at my house where we will be firing up the campfire and having Tom do his cobbler as we do the net. Our man on the street reporters will be surveying the crowd for feedback on how it tastes.
Would love to have a cobbler competition this Saturday at Summerfest. Peach against Apple!
Image_Image_Image

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:39 pm

DaveK wrote: We are doing a live remote at my house where we will be firing up the campfire and having Tom do his cobbler as we do the net. Our man on the street reporters will be surveying the crowd for feedback on how it tastes.
Where's ATV when you need it?

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Just got back from the Rubicon and saw the last few posts.

I think the competion is on on for Saturday!! Peaches vs Apple.

I already know the winner --

the guests who get to eat both cobblers
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

taugust

Post by taugust » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:57 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:I remember the Dutch Oven Apple Cobbler Gon2Srf made at Calico Clean-Up earlier this year - truly a moment to remember, it was awesome !!!
Gon2Srf, can we get you to post your recipe? I have made Toms Peach, but Apple sounds great too.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:36 am

With or without the Captain Morgan? :lol:
Image_Image_Image

taugust

Post by taugust » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:47 pm

gon2srf wrote:With or without the Captain Morgan? :lol:
Negative on the Captain. Rum and I don't get along. :D
Tim
KG6WFV

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:23 pm

taugust wrote:
gon2srf wrote:With or without the Captain Morgan? :lol:
Negative on the Captain. Rum and I don't get along. :D
I think most of it burns off but I got you covered. :mrgreen:
Image_Image_Image

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:53 pm

Did someone say Morgan???? :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “COOKING”