My Kitchen Boxes

Discuss recipes and cooking methods you use during your adventures or ask questions about food prep and techniques.
taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

My Kitchen Boxes

Post by taugust » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:05 pm

Well, after hearing tonight's net, I thought I would post pics of my old and new kitchen boxes. These are homebuilt.

The "old" style Stampede Box was built by my father in the 1950's from plans published in Sunset Magazine. Our family used it for many years when car camping and truck camping as I was growing up. We still have it. My sister built one for all the siblings as a Christmas present about 15 years ago, and I have used mine regularly ever since. It measures 12"W x 12"D x 24"H and is made of plywood. The shelves are masonite board. The drawers are plywood sides and masonite bottom with masonite dividers.
StampedeOld01.jpg
Old Stampede Box
StampedeOld01.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
StampedeOld02.jpg
StampedeOld02.jpg (55.23 KiB) Viewed 7560 times
I used it to carry virtually all of my kitchen paraphenalia, from a small mess kit, plates, bowls, cups, utensils, sponge, camp suds biodegradable soap (in a ziplock bag to contain leaking), spices, and other misc. supplies. Lately, I decided that I wanted to carry a little more and this box couldn't hold some larger items, like a skillet and a full roll of paper towels, or my griddle. I had outgrown it. Also, since I camp out of my Tacoma, with a hard bed cover, It was transported on its back, since it was too tall to stand up under the cover. The cover only allows about 15" of clearance.

So I decided to redesign the concept to fit my current needs. I wanted it to be a little bigger to hold some of my larger items, but not too big to carry, and it needed to be a horizontal format to fit under the bed cover without tipping over. The drawers are a little bigger, to hold the larger cooking utensils like the big wooden spoon and the spatula, which previously had to live on a shelf. There is a wide shelf at the top to hold my wide stovetop griddle and cutting board and the bottom right compartment holds my 12" cast iron skillet with room to spare. The basic construction is the same as the old one, 3/8" plywood interior with 1/2" exterior structure. Shelves are still masonite. The overall size is now 31"W x 15.5"D x 14"H. The drawers are now 13.875"W x 15"D x 2"H.
StampedeNew01.jpg
New Stampede Box
StampedeNew01.jpg (43.66 KiB) Viewed 7559 times
StampedeNew02.jpg
StampedeNew02.jpg (52.04 KiB) Viewed 7558 times
StampedeNew03.jpg
Utensil Drawer
StampedeNew03.jpg (69.49 KiB) Viewed 7557 times
This was my first woodworking project, so somethings are a little rough, but overall, it came out as I intended. I bought a CAD program to help design it, which made the math and drawings much nicer. I have basic plans if anyone is interested. I painted the interior a light cream color and the exterior an olive drab. I used some tool box liner on the bottom and on the griddle shelf to prevent sliding and noise. I used large fold-down handles and a padlock hasp to close. I still need to finish a few items, like putting hard plastic rails on the bottom to act as feet, and cut some finger holes in the drawers to make them easier to open.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: My Kitchen Boxes

Post by DaveK » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:11 pm

Tim:

Great organizer! Do you strap or mount it to the bed of your pickup? How do you keep it from wandering while you travel?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

taugust

Post by taugust » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:15 pm

A couple more detail photos.
StampedeNew04.jpg
Spice and Miscellaneous Drawer
StampedeNew04.jpg (74.91 KiB) Viewed 7541 times
StampedeNew05.jpg
Shelf Detail
StampedeNew05.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 7541 times
StampedeNew06.jpg
StampedeNew06.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

taugust

Post by taugust » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:18 pm

DaveK wrote:Tim:

Great organizer! Do you strap or mount it to the bed of your pickup? How do you keep it from wandering while you travel?
It should be strapped down, but it weighs enough that it doesn't move on the rubber bed mat. My truck is usually packed to the gills, so there is no room to move anyway.

We're Outdoor Adventurers! Wandering is what we do best. :lol:
Tim
KG6WFV

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:34 pm

taugust wrote:

It should be strapped down, but it weighs enough that it doesn't move on the rubber bed mat. My truck is usually packed to the gills, so there is no room to move anyway.

Speak for yourself - I'm all about the food when we finish wandering....nice kitchen box !!!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:36 pm

taugust wrote:

Nice box, and I love the last line, you should post to the motto thread :D

Wandering is what we do best! I love it!

traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Post by traveltoad » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:21 pm

What a great way to organize all your camp kitchen tools!! Thanks for posting these pictures!
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R - gone, not forgotten
2010 KTM 250XCW
2018 Surly Karate Monkey
2016 Foundry Overland

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Tim this is a great post. Thanks for starting it. And since you did - I will post my camp box. This one was given to me as a gift. It is still sold by many of the camping outlets. I think mine came from Campmor (http://www.campmor.com ) but I saw then in Cabela's catalog. This is a small box about 11 1/2 x 23 x 14 1/2 high. I use it for equipment, staples, spices, and some back up meals. Most of the time I just open it inside the vehicle just as you see in the pictures. With the tail hatch up I have some protection too. I found a set of legs for a camp table and modified them so I can set the box outside if I want too.

DSC01937web.jpg
Strapped Down - any gear in front of it will be off loaded in camp (cooler, Dutch oven, Food box)
DSC01937web.jpg (11.06 KiB) Viewed 7477 times
DSC01942web.jpg
Open inside vehicle
DSC01942web.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 7475 times
DSC01944web.jpg
Drawer out
DSC01944web.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
DSC01946web.jpg
Setting on some bootlegged legs
DSC01946web.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 7475 times

Lets see some more camp box set ups!
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:14 pm

Dang it you guys... I don not have any more room to add stuff to my rig. Please stop putting such cool ideas in my head.... :D

My box is made by Rubbermaide :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Yup I need one of the those bad, great ideas.
Image_Image_Image

Return to “COOKING”