Super Easy Dutch Oven BBQ Chicken

Discuss recipes and cooking methods you use during your adventures or ask questions about food prep and techniques.
toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:34 am

After the Dutch Oven net on September 4, 2008, Montego sent me an email and asked me to put this recipe on the forum. I have seen him make this with chicken wings and drum sticks. It was very good. In fact I only manged to get 2 wings before the pot was empty ( turned around to find a place to set the lid down and when I came back all the chicken was gone!)

Quote from Montego:
This is one of the easiest recipes I know of. It works great in a Dutch Oven. I learned of it during a camping trip.

Ingredients:
--------------
Chicken, enough to almost fill your Dutch Oven
1 or 2 bottles of BBQ sauce - (whatever is on sale will be fine).
Salt & Pepper to taste

Very lightly oil the DO pot & lid inside. I use olive oil, but any oil is probably fine (Not WD40!) Put the chicken in the DO. Leave some room for sauce & room to stir.
Dump 1 or 2 bottles of BBQ sauce on & stir around a little to get the sauce all over.

Put the lid on and get that pot hot. Some people will say to put a certain number of coals on the top, and a certain number of coals on the bottom, but I just shovel "some" coals under the DO, and put slightly more on the top. Watch the pot & when it starts making sizzling noises or steams, you better get to stirring. Stir often while cooking to prevent the bottom from burning. Add coals if/when necessary. Use a knife to peek inside the chicken to check when it's done.
Montego

End of Quote
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Super Easy Dutch Oven BBQ Chicken

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:05 am

toms wrote:After the Dutch Oven net on September 4, 2008, Montego sent me an email and asked me to put this recipe on the forum. I have seen him make this with chicken wings and drum sticks. It was very good. In fact I only manged to get 2 wings before the pot was empty ( turned around to find a place to set the lid down and when I came back all the chicken was gone!)

Quote from Montego:
This is one of the easiest recipes I know of. It works great in a Dutch Oven. I learned of it during a camping trip.

Ingredients:
--------------
Chicken, enough to almost fill your Dutch Oven
1 or 2 bottles of BBQ sauce - (whatever is on sale will be fine).
Salt & Pepper to taste

Very lightly oil the DO pot & lid inside. I use olive oil, but any oil is probably fine (Not WD40!) Put the chicken in the DO. Leave some room for sauce & room to stir.
Dump 1 or 2 bottles of BBQ sauce on & stir around a little to get the sauce all over.

Put the lid on and get that pot hot. Some people will say to put a certain number of coals on the top, and a certain number of coals on the bottom, but I just shovel "some" coals under the DO, and put slightly more on the top. Watch the pot & when it starts making sizzling noises or steams, you better get to stirring. Stir often while cooking to prevent the bottom from burning. Add coals if/when necessary. Use a knife to peek inside the chicken to check when it's done.
Montego

End of Quote
Recipes are so difficult for me to follow...maybe if you demonstrated this one at BorregoFest.... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

big dave

Re: Super Easy Dutch Oven BBQ Chicken

Post by big dave » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:37 am

Can we just get to the eating part already?
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

Return to “COOKING”