Oct 2008 Dutch Oven Convention at Doheny State Beach

Discuss recipes and cooking methods you use during your adventures or ask questions about food prep and techniques.
brucec
Call Sign: KI6RZW

Oct 2008 Dutch Oven Convention at Doheny State Beach

Post by brucec » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:09 pm

For those of you who enjoyed the recent Dutch Oven net and wish to further explore the world of Dutch Oven Cooking ...

The 2008 International Dutch Oven Fall Convention is being held on October 18, 2008, at Doheny State Beach in Dana Point, California. This annual event attracts Dutch Oven enthusiasts all over the United States and is hosted this year by the Southern California Chapter of the International Dutch Oven Society (http://www.socaldos.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The all-day convention features Dutch Oven demonstrations, Dutch Oven classes, and vendors selling Dutch Oven equipment and supplies. The convention runs from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and is free, but there is a $10.00 day-use fee for at Doheny State Beach.

More information is available from the Southern California Chapter, International Dutch Oven Society website at http://www.socaldos.org/2008_idos_fall_convention.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Crabtree
KI6RZW

gon2srf

Re: Oct 2008 Dutch Oven Convention at Doheny State Beach

Post by gon2srf » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:22 pm

That's cool! I am assuming/hoping there will be lots of recipes to taste? Thanks for the post. :D
Image_Image_Image

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:51 pm

Bruce, that sounds great. Do you plan to attend? I would like to attend but I have a class that day.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:58 pm

I had the privilege of watching Bruce and Tom do their Dutch Oven thing the other night when they did their net. If you have a hankerin' for some great eats in the outdoors, you owe it to your tastebuds to see these guys in action!!!

Thanks Bruce!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

brucec
Call Sign: KI6RZW

Post by brucec » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:45 pm

I will be at the Dutch Oven Convention. I am teaching a class at 9:45 AM on how to use sourdough starter. The presentation schedule is:

9:00 AM - Training Class - Basic Dutch Oven Cooking - Getting Started
9:45 AM - Training Class - Getting Started With Sourdough
10:30 AM - Training Class - Bread Basics
11:15 AM - Vendor Demonstration
11:45 AM - Vendor Demonstration
12:15 PM - Vendor Demonstration
12:45 PM - Training Class - Cooking With Fire Irons
1:45 PM - Training Class - Fun Cooking With a 6-inch Oven
2:15 PM - Training Class - Cooking in Large Ovens

The classes are held on the grass in the day-use area, if you plan to attend a class, bring a hat, a folding chair, and, if it's a warm day, something non-alcoholic to drink.

As for samples, there is a Taste of Dutch activity from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM and I believe they will be handing out samples.

Now if I could just find a place where Montego could wow the crowed by demonstrating his "rule-breaking" technique with his shovel, his coals, and his 6-inch Dutch Oven...
Bruce Crabtree
KI6RZW

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:14 pm

Might just be the ticket to go.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:36 pm

Just got back from this event. My brother and I attended, and were there all day. We met Bruce, who put on a great class on sourdough starter, and he baked a sourdough bread which was delicious. Each class had samples to try and there were members cooking all day with samples to share. We ate throughout the day and were never hungry. We had: chocolate chip cookies, monkey bread, cinnamon monkey bread, sourdough bread with cranberries, no-knead bread, jambalaya, meatballs in barbeque sauce, steamed dim sum, beef and pasta, enchiladas, tamale pie, chile, triple chocolate cake, raspberry crisp (cooked Montego style over an oak fire with wood coals and shovel), triple berry something , "pigs in the cornfield" from a 6" min oven, and that's all I can remember. It was very educational and filling and I enjoyed it immensely. I even won a small stand to keep the oven off the ground, in the raffle. Thanks to Bruce C for the head's up. I am definately hooked.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:40 pm

taugust wrote:Just got back from this event. My brother and I attended, and were there all day. We met Bruce, who put on a great class on sourdough starter, and he baked a sourdough bread which was delicious. Each class had samples to try and there were members cooking all day with samples to share. We ate throughout the day and were never hungry. We had: chocolate chip cookies, monkey bread, cinnamon monkey bread, sourdough bread with cranberries, no-knead bread, jambalaya, meatballs in barbeque sauce, steamed dim sum, beef and pasta, enchiladas, tamale pie, chile, triple chocolate cake, raspberry crisp (cooked Montego style over an oak fire with wood coals and shovel), triple berry something , "pigs in the cornfield" from a 6" min oven, and that's all I can remember. It was very educational and filling and I enjoyed it immensely. I even won a small stand to keep the oven off the ground, in the raffle. Thanks to Bruce C for the head's up. I am definately hooked.
I am so bummed I missed this event. Sounds like it was a huge success, and the food........OMG. Next year.
Image_Image_Image

Return to “COOKING”