All about chocolate

Discuss recipes and cooking methods you use during your adventures or ask questions about food prep and techniques.
justjodi

All about chocolate

Post by justjodi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:16 pm

So the Halloween thread got me thinking... There appears to be others who enjoy chocolate as much as we do. Here's a good test: Starbucks had a chocolate drink for a short while. It was served in a 6oz cup. Most people thought it was too rich. I thought it was too small. If you are a true chocolate lover, try this recipe from "Hot Chocolate” by Michael Turback.
3/4 cup whole mile
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 t confectioners' sugar
4 oz bittersweet chocolate (72%) chopped.
Whipped cream

In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the milk, cream and sugar and heat just until bubbles appear around the edges of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring with a wooden spoon until it is completely melted. I necessary, return the pan to low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is melted. The mixture should appear smooth and evenly colored. Serve warm (not hot) in demitasse or espresso cups with softly whipped cream on the side.

Other chocolate references:

Those of you in SD should know about Chuao Chocolatier. http://www.chuaochocolatier.com/ They also have a shop at the Irvine Spectrum. Awesome chocolates and cocoas – their Spicy Maya hot chocolate is great.

Another favorite is Recchiuti Confections in SF. http://www.recchiuti.com/ Their boxed chocolate, truffles and salt caramels are absolutely incredible and their dark Hot Chocolate is rich and tasty.

At Williams-Sonoma I picked up MarieBelle Aztec Hot Chocolate, which can be mixed with either water or milk for spicy treat.

Please share your chocolate secrets.
Jodi

raYGunn

Re: All about chocolate

Post by raYGunn » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm

Whole Foods keeps high cocoa bars of various types in stock. Some are artisan and most are free from strange ingredients. They also have pure cocoa nibs! There are not chocolate but sure are interesting to try. It's neat to see where chocolate gets is bitter flavor from!
97 LX450

justjodi

Post by justjodi » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 am

Also, check out Whole Foods Whole Treat Chocolate Sauce and Creamy Caramel Sauce and Fudge Fatale The Ultimate Chocolate Sauce all with no high fructose corn syrup. MMmmmmmm.... I love Whole Foods Market. I only wish there was one close to me.
Jodi

BoBoNel

Post by BoBoNel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 pm

OMG i miss that starbucks choco drink. that stuff was amazing. now i'll try your recipe and a spicy hot choco sounds good. i've never had one.
G-4!!!!
Trail Mom

Return to “COOKING”