Enough rope to hang yourself

What You Need to Carry on the Trail
Brucek
Call Sign: k6bjk

Enough rope to hang yourself

Post by Brucek » Fri May 23, 2008 10:41 pm

I noticed that this catagory is woefully empty so I thought I'd start it off with a list of things that might come in handy if you find yourself or someone else in need of a "stuck assessment". I carry what some might think is an awfull lot of what I call "extraction gear" but I think it's a good idea to think about what you might need if you found yourself with a lack of forward motion (or rearward as the case may be). I wont go into working load limits or the safe use of your equipment except to say that with every component you use, you need to be aware of their individual strengths and remember that the safe use of a combination of different pieces is dictated by the load limit of the weakest link in the chain. All recoveries have some safety risks involved. Some can be down right dangerous. If you dont understand the factors involved, I would suggest that anyone who ventures into " the great wide open" get professional training in the safe use of your equipment.

A winch.........With a load limit of at least 1.5 the weight of your vehicle. I suggest that 9500 lbs is required but remember the load rating is based on the
last wind of cable on the drum. Always use as much line as you can. If in a restricted area, insert a pully block allowing more line to be drawn off the winch.

Hi-lift jack.....An incredibly versital tool. Include a Hi-lift jack kit, a jack base, a jack mate and a rubber holder to secure the handle while transporting.

A pull-pal.......An excellent anchor in areas where trees are in short supply.

Clevis'..........Sometimes refered to as D rings. You can't have too many of these. I carry 6. Do not buy any that have less than a 3/4 inch pin and when tightening the pin remember to back it off 1/2 turn prior to use. They can tighten under a load and be very hard to loosen.

Pulley blocks...At LEAST 2. They can reduce the pulling load on your winch if you have a close friend with a Hummer and you have a Suzuki. Learn how to do a load assessment and how the use of pulleys can reduce your overall load. Also you will often need to make directional changes when pulling and with the proper rigging you can even winch yourself backwards. Winching/rigging can be dangerous. I highly recomend taking Badland's class on advanced winch use. It is extremely informative.

Chain...........At least grade 70. I recomend 2, 10ft lengths. Can be used with a Hi lift, a winch and as anchors around large rocks where you wouldn't want to use a cable or synthetic rope. Purchase chain which include the "grabber" style hooks.

Ropes:
A tree strap....It is absolutely imperitive that you use it to protect the bark. Do not wrap a winch cable or chain around a tree. A tree strap has very little
stretch in it (unwanted at your primary anchor point) so make sure it is a tree strap instead of another type of strap. They come in different lengths. I carry 10 & 20 ft. lenghts.

Extension rope..50 ft. (synthetic). Works with the winch and any other application. Make sure it has metal thimbles that will fit a 3/4" clevis pin.

Straps...........Come in various lengths and widths depending on load limits. Have up to approx 20 percent elasticity. Can be used in static or dynamic
pull applications. Do not link 2 different ropes or straps together with a clevis. If a strap or rope breaks the clevis becomes a lethal projectile. Do not use a tow ball as a vehicle connection. Use a heavy blanket on top of the middle of the strap or rope to dampen the energy in case of a failure. I recommend
2 of different lengths.

Kenetic energy.. Often called yanker ropes. They have a great deal of stretch and can be of value when a maximim effort (dynamic pull) is required to
retrive a vehicle from a really stuck situation or a lighter vehicle retrieving a heavier one. Greatly reduces the stress on the each vehicle.

Synthetic winch line.... I use synthetic line. I think the benefits far outweigh the negitives compared to steel line. This is a personal choice and they are pricey but in my opinion worth it. They are easier to use, have a much higher load limit than steel and release much less energy should a breakage occure making them safer but are more susceptible to abrasion and can be damaged by the heat created at the drum.

Always purchase your equipment from a source that speciaizes in off-road products, either from a store or on-line. Do not bother with Home depot or similar stores as their offerings are almost always of lesser quality, type and load limits than what you will need in the field.

This is certainly an incomplete list . I was simply thinking of the major stuff. I even carry bolt cutters should I need them to go thru fences in wild fire situations or to get thru drainage channels in the event of a disaster and other stuff. I wanted to attract some interest and comments on what everyone carries beyond the obvious items such as shovels etc. This was not intendended to encompass emergency equipment, just getting yourself out of a sticky situation. Sorry about the way this spacing looks, it was OK when I submited it . I'm still learning.
Last edited by Brucek on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 am, edited 20 times in total.
Bruce K
K6BJK

BoBoNel

Re: Enough rope to hang yourself

Post by BoBoNel » Sat May 24, 2008 9:45 am

i truly have to start working on my VR&R stash. good tread. i added a few things to my wants and needs list! (thanks alot for that) :)
G-4!!!!
Trail Mom

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat May 24, 2008 9:53 am

Nice post Bruce. Great info.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Brucek
Call Sign: k6bjk

Post by Brucek » Sat May 24, 2008 11:18 am

BoBoNel wrote:i truly have to start working on my VR&R stash. good tread. i added a few things to my wants and needs list! (thanks alot for that) :)
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it was helpfull. As DTK so wisely says: "A wheeler's rig is never done".
Bruce K
K6BJK

CactusJK
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Post by CactusJK » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 am

I have a warn XD9000 and would like to shift to synthetic line with a safety thimble. Need recommendations on length, diameter and make.
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:18 am

Looks like a pretty good start, but there are a few things to add.

Fire Extinguisher (the bigger the better)
First aid kit (and the knowledge to use it)

but those are general items, as far as "extrication" items go, a lot can be done with a shovel. It might take some time, and will certainly take some labor, but you can get a vehicle out of a lot of situations with some careful ground movement.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Return to “Vehicle Recovery and Repair Eqipment”