Sticky/announcement suggestion...

Discuss our site here. Topics include suggestions, comments. problems with the site, or general information about OAUSA.
BorregoWrangler

Sticky/announcement suggestion...

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Looking back on past trip reports here I've noticed how some have gone back and removed their past posts and/or pictures. Whether this was done out of spite in regards to some perceived slight or not, I can't say. But it got me to think that we all may need a reminder from time to time about our online activities. I've seen similar announcements on other various online forums.

Perhaps something like this...

=========================

Dear members,
Some of us may forget from time to time that this is only the internet. Please remain cognizant of the fact that this is only the internet and is supposed to be fun. A thick skin is often beneficial, and Big Boy pants will help mitigate the effects of any offense that you may encounter due to mingling with others here. Please keep in mind, it's everyone's job to make sure that they don't take themselves too seriously.

If at any time you are not having fun here or you feel so frustrated by some perceived slight that you are compelled by emotion to self-delete (i.e. take your toys, trip reports, pics and leave) perhaps it's a good time to step away from the keyboard, go outside and maybe take a trip or something. Leaving our egos at the door will help make this site an enjoyable experience for all.

Respectfully,
The Administrators

=============================

Anyway, this is just me thinking out load here and sharing my thoughts on the matter. I hope everyone here is doing well and enjoying some great outdoor adventures!
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Sticky/announcement suggestion...

Post by DaveK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:17 pm

John:

We've had two problems with disappearing pictures on the site:

1. People who post pictures on external sources (like Photo Bucket) for use on the site, can cause problems. Its a good idea, but as time passes, we have had several instances of disappearing pictures for those who have not kept their Photo Bucket account current.
2. There are just a couple of instances of members who have "picked up their toys and left the site along with some of their pictures". We've caught most of these efforts, but not all.

Your suggestion is a good one, and we can implement the suggestion. Thanks!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks, Dave.

As far as keeping uploaded photos on the site, will uploading them as an attachment directly from your computer keep them on the site, as opposed to linking them from somewhere else, like Photobucket?
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:29 pm

BorregoWrangler wrote:Thanks, Dave.

As far as keeping uploaded photos on the site, will uploading them as an attachment directly from your computer keep them on the site, as opposed to linking them from somewhere else, like Photobucket?

Yes.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “FORUM SUPPORT, INFORMATION & GENERAL DISCUSSION”