Net oddities and general peeves

Let's discuss our amateur radio net here, including suggestions for net topics.
sdnative

Net oddities and general peeves

Post by sdnative » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:47 pm

Just a couple of comments:

The automated announcement on the Keller Peak Repeater refers to the Thursday night net as "Outdoor Action Net"

Also, at the very beginning of the net, the NCO announces who we are and immediately breaks for any priority or emergency traffic. I mean the repeater was silent up to the start of the net, then the NCO makes 10 seconds of announcements then breaks again. Maybe that is just convention, but it just seems odd and out of place. Not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Net oddities and general peeves

Post by DaveK » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Eric:

Interesting that you picked up on the announcement. When we started, Dennis offered us the announcement but we were limited to the words that his announcement computer had in memory. Unfortunately, its lexicon did not include the word "adventure" so we picked the word that sounded closest - action. I'll ask Dennis if the computer program has been updated to offer more words.

On the break for emergency traffic, it's a recognition of the fact that the Keller Repeater is relied on by several agencies during emergencies. I guess that, given our tendency to be long winded, we make it difficult for break-ins, so we just try to encourage those who need to break in, to do so, if necessary.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Cool. Thanks.

I am not being critical, just thought I would give some feedback. Overall the net is wonderful.

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:24 pm

The announcements are most likely not controlled by a computer per se. It more likely the word library hard coded into the repeater controller. Some Repeater controllers have a library of about 100 repeater, weather, or radio related words. They are hard coded on a computer chip and for the most part are not easily modified. I am not certain of the controller used by the Keller repeater, but am fairly certain that the word Adventure would not be on an upgrade list.

It would/could/should more likely be modified to say O-A-U-S-A Net.

The call for breaks is done as it gives an opportunity for some one to make arrangements for alternate communications without interrupting the flow of the net.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:39 pm

hmfigueroa wrote:It would/could/should more likely be modified to say O-A-U-S-A Net.
I'll look into this
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

Post by BruisedFJ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am

I think SDNative's point about the first break was that it is just 10 seconds into the net following no traffic before the start, so it's more the timing of the first break and not the fact that we insert those breaks.

That being said, the arguement to do this break, though most likely unnecessary at that point, is that it reminds listeners to insert breaks when they participate in the net, and sets the tone that OAUSA is a group of responsible ham operators/users and that we value the use of ham for emergency purposes. I kind of like that we do this break at the outset.

All, have a great Independence Day! But please don't refer to it as the birth of our country, which was actually September 17, 1787 when the Constitution was ratified, thereby creating a "union" of states. 8-)
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:53 pm

bruisedFJ wrote:I think SDNative's point about the first break was that it is just 10 seconds into the net following no traffic before the start, so it's more the timing of the first break and not the fact that we insert those breaks.

That being said, the arguement to do this break, though most likely unnecessary at that point, is that it reminds listeners to insert breaks when they participate in the net, and sets the tone that OAUSA is a group of responsible ham operators/users and that we value the use of ham for emergency purposes. I kind of like that we do this break at the outset.

All, have a great Independence Day! But please don't refer to it as the birth of our country, which was actually September 17, 1787 when the Constitution was ratified, thereby creating a "union" of states. 8-)
Yea, let's call it "Kicked some English ass day"! :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol:
Happy Fourth y'all! :D
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

bretmichal

Post by bretmichal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:09 am

hi,
That's something a bit critical I have heard about.

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:10 pm

The reason for a call for priority traffic at the beginning of the net is that someone may have coordinated a schedule on the repeater. That gives someone a chance to meet up or contact the party before the net gets into full swing.

Generally during an emergency situation there is little communications as they are busy working the emergency, again this lets them know we intend on using the frequency for an extended time. It gives them the opportunity to let us know what they are working.

I hope that sheds a little light on what may seem like an archaic and useless practice.

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET GENERAL DISCUSSION”