Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

Let's discuss our amateur radio net here, including suggestions for net topics.
User avatar
CactusJK
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 am
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#31

Post by CactusJK » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:20 am

I will try IRLP here in Tucson and see if it works. Additional advice might be required!...
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

User avatar
CactusJK
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 am
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#32

Post by CactusJK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 am

One more question. Is there a good desktop system for the 2M band? Might be easier than going out to the FJ.
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

User avatar
DaveK
Site Admin
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:33 am
Call Sign: K6DTK
Location: Southern California

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#33

Post by DaveK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:16 pm

CactusJK wrote:I will try IRLP here in Tucson and see if it works. Additional advice might be required!...

You will need to connect to the Western Reflector at node 9251. We usually set up the link (to the Reflector) at about 7:15, which should give you enough time to check and make sure you have the right settings. Let us know if you want to give it a test at another time.
DaveK
K6DTK


Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

User avatar
DaveK
Site Admin
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:33 am
Call Sign: K6DTK
Location: Southern California

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#34

Post by DaveK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:34 pm

CactusJK wrote:One more question. Is there a good desktop system for the 2M band? Might be easier than going out to the FJ.

Jeff:

There may be a few options for you here.

For reliability and emergency use considerations, it is a good idea to check out your radio frequently. Checking into various nets each week is a good way to do this. Most net control operators usually mention when there is a problem with someone's transmission and this can be a good way to find out if you need to make any repairs or adjustments.

One alternative to going out to your vehicle would be to use the cross-band repeater function of the radio (assuming it is so equipped). You can sit in the comfort of the home by using your HT.
DaveK
K6DTK


Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

User avatar
CactusJK
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 am
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#35

Post by CactusJK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I'm running a Yaesu 7800 in the FJ and a VX-6R HT. I'll do some research. Also looks like there is a 70cm IRLP repeater near me.


DaveK wrote:
CactusJK wrote:One more question. Is there a good desktop system for the 2M band? Might be easier than going out to the FJ.

Jeff:

There may be a few options for you here.

For reliability and emergency use considerations, it is a good idea to check out your radio frequently. Checking into various nets each week is a good way to do this. Most net control operators usually mention when there is a problem with someone's transmission and this can be a good way to find out if you need to make any repairs or adjustments.

One alternative to going out to your vehicle would be to use the cross-band repeater function of the radio (assuming it is so equipped). You can sit in the comfort of the home by using your HT.
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

User avatar
CactusJK
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 am
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#36

Post by CactusJK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Looks like the 7800 does not have a cross band capability!
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

User avatar
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:23 pm
Call Sign: W6LPB
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#37

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:33 pm

CactusJK wrote:Looks like the 7800 does not have a cross band capability!
Sounds like an upgrade opportunity to me... :lol:

How about a Yaesu FTM-350R or Kenwood TM-D710A - they'll provide crossband repeat ability, as well as APRS function for the FJ...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

User avatar
CactusJK
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 am
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#38

Post by CactusJK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:53 pm

The 350R looks really nice! If the radio is similar in dimensions to my 7800 and uses the same mounting configuration I might need to seriously consider...
cruiserlarry wrote:
CactusJK wrote:Looks like the 7800 does not have a cross band capability!
Sounds like an upgrade opportunity to me... :lol:

How about a Yaesu FTM-350R or Kenwood TM-D710A - they'll provide crossband repeat ability, as well as APRS function for the FJ...
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

User avatar
DaveK
Site Admin
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:33 am
Call Sign: K6DTK
Location: Southern California

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#39

Post by DaveK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Jeff:

The Yaesu FT350 has a remote mounted head that does not attach to the main body. So, if it matters, you will need to find a separate location for both the head and the main body.

From what I have heard from our members who have knowledge of both units, the Kenwood may have an edge. You should get Hector's input, as he has both. Bottom line is that you will do well either way.
DaveK
K6DTK


Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

User avatar
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:23 pm
Call Sign: W6LPB
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

#40

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:35 pm

CactusJK wrote:The 350R looks really nice! If the radio is similar in dimensions to my 7800 and uses the same mounting configuration I might need to seriously consider...
Both units are larger than the 7800 - and they both use what I consider non-standard mounting systems (I've installed several of both), so installation, IMO, is not as simple as the 7800 or similar dual-band radios. However, I think the additional functionality of having a built-in APRS system (among other features) is well worth the extra time to set up a good mounting location.

As DaveK mentioned, both units have remote mount heads, so that helps. The Yaesu offers a rear mounted GPS module (sold separately) to fully utilize APRS, while the Kenwood can interface with almost any GPS with NMEA output. The Kenwood can also work as a digipeater, and the Yaesu has a fantastic display for those of us with fading eyesight (i.e. getting older :lol: ).
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Post Reply

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET GENERAL DISCUSSION”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest